Worst NFL Commentator(s) current or past

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated Dennis miller and Tony Kormheiser. Love Jaws. Like Millen. I think alot of people try and associate him being a bad GM therefore he has no idea what he is talking about. Two very separate things. A player, a GM, and a commentator are 3 very different jobs and he did two of those very well and 1 terribly. I like John lynch as well but that's more bc of knowing him a little.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like Millen. I think alot of people try and associate him being a bad GM therefore he has no idea what he is talking about. Two very separate things. A player, a GM, and a commentator are 3 very different jobs and he did two of those very well and 1 terribly.
The job of an NFL player and an NFL commentator are different. However, in 8 years as President/CEO/GM/chief dish washer of the Lions he decisively proved:

He has no idea whatever how to build a successful NFL organization.
He has no idea how to build an NFL roster.
He doesn't have a clue about evaluating NFL talent.
He can't identify a decent HC if his job depended upon it.
A talented chimp with darts could match his draft record.

In his career in Detroit he led the Lions to a record of 31-97 (24% winning percentage), the worst 8-year record in the history of the modern NFL.

He was a very good player. And he was the worst GM in the modern history of the NFL. Since he didn't have a clue as GM IMO he has no credibility commenting on the NFL because the job of a GM correlates much more closely to having value as an observer/commentator on the NFL than experience as an NFL player.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The job of an NFL player and an NFL commentator are different. However, in 8 years as President/CEO/GM/chief dish washer of the Lions he decisively proved:

He has no idea whatever how to build a successful NFL organization.
He has no idea how to build an NFL roster.
He doesn't have a clue about evaluating NFL talent.
He can't identify a decent HC if his job depended upon it.
A talented chimp with darts could match his draft record.

In his career in Detroit he led the Lions to a record of 31-97 (24% winning percentage), the worst 8-year record in the history of the modern NFL.

He was a very good player. And he was the worst GM in the modern history of the NFL. Since he didn't have a clue as GM IMO he has no credibility commenting on the NFL because the job of a GM correlates much more closely to having value as an observer/commentator on the NFL than experience as an NFL player.

I don't believe any of those things listed are skills required by an NFL commentator.

So if a commentator can't succeed as a GM then they shouldn't be a commentator?

But if he never was a GM and went from player to commentator you wouldn't have a problem with it? Hmmm

He failed at his previous job, no doubt about it, but he can break down plays, is a smooth talker, and comes across as likable.

Ted Thompson would be a terrible commentator, just because he succeeded as a GM doesn't me he should go in front of a camera.

I judge Matt Millen by the quality of the job he is doing now, not the quality of the job he got fired for a few years back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
First, Millen was a commentator before he buried the Lions and I didn't like him then. Second, there is a difference between not succeeding as a GM (or being a mediocre GM) and being the worst GM in the last 60 years! Third, being a great GM doesn't guarantee being a great commentator but being an abject failure as one is disqualifying IMO. And fourth, we just disagree on the skills necessary to be a valuable NFL commentator. I value content and don't care at all about being "likeable" or being a "smooth talker". And I prefer those who can evaluate whether or not a player is doing a good job generally and/or doing their job on a particular play. I prefer those who can distinguish between success and failure by NFL GMs, HCs, their staffs, and the players. IMO Millen has demonstrated forcefully and obviously that he lacks those skills. The worst GM in the modern history of the NFL!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, Millen was a commentator before he buried the Lions and I didn't like him then. Second, there is a difference between not succeeding as a GM (or being a mediocre GM) and being the worst GM in the last 60 years! Third, being a great GM doesn't guarantee being a great commentator but being an abject failure as one is disqualifying IMO. And fourth, we just disagree on the skills necessary to be a valuable NFL commentator. I value content and don't care at all about being "likeable" or being a "smooth talker". And I prefer those who can evaluate whether or not a player is doing a good job generally and/or doing their job on a particular play. I prefer those who can distinguish between success and failure by NFL GMs, HCs, their staffs, and the players. IMO Millen has demonstrated forcefully and obviously that he lacks those skills. The worst GM in the modern history of the NFL!

Yes we disagree on the importance of speaking skills for people in front of a TV. And how his failings at his previous job impact his job on color commentating.

You sound very upset with him for his **** poor job with the lions. He was in over his head, no doubt about it, the ford family made the mistake of hiring a color commentator to run a football team.

It's my understanding that you look at him and think anything he says about football you can't take seriously bc he failed as a GM. To me it just gives him more credibility than he had before as he knows the inner workings of the league, something few other commentators can tell you.

His failure as a GM to me seems to reflect more on the Ford family bringing someone in so unqualified, and less on Mcmillen.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
● IMO Howard Cossell was one of the most interesting personalities on TV in his day. And not just sports personalities. Obnoxiously arrogant yes, but extremely intelligent and not afraid to say what others wouldn't at the time.

Cossell?

He refused to come to Green Bay to do a game. I believe it was the only MNF game he ever missed.

He explained, to the best of my memory, that he was getting tired of traveling and wanted to spend time with his wife.

Other than that? I really enjoyed the guy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes we disagree on the importance of speaking skills for people in front of a TV. And how his failings at his previous job impact his job on color commentating.

You sound very upset with him for his **** poor job with the lions. He was in over his head, no doubt about it, the ford family made the mistake of hiring a color commentator to run a football team.

It's my understanding that you look at him and think anything he says about football you can't take seriously bc he failed as a GM. To me it just gives him more credibility than he had before as he knows the inner workings of the league, something few other commentators can tell you.

His failure as a GM to me seems to reflect more on the Ford family bringing someone in so unqualified, and less on Mcmillen.
I think he is actually a really good commentator. It was his high level of football knowledge and presentation skills that got him the Lion gig. But alas, high level of football knowledge for an announcer, wasn't high enough for a GM. The inside scoop I heard, is that Matt didn't have a cohesive plan. He would listen to this scout here, a position coach there, and the head coach there. If he had taken a global approach and had all the coaches/scouts working together, he would have done much better. Instead they fought each other for who's input would get used for what pick. Matt's problems weren't lack of knowledge, but lack of leadership organizational skills. I think this is true as the current GM, Mayhew, was the head of scouting and promoted to GM after Millen left. The talent level has increased significantly under Mayhew and the same exact scouting staff.

But Matt Millan has the funniest lines in all of sports.

When told that a player from their SB opponent said he would run over his own mother to win the Superbowl, Matt said he agreed. He would run over that player's mom also.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You sound very upset with him for his **** poor job with the lions.
Strange you would post this - don't you get upset when posters mischaracterize your posts? In my first mention of him I posted, "I loved all he did "for" the Lions…" Why would I be upset he ruined a team in the Packers' division? Hell, I wish he was still their GM.
Your understanding is correct: My saying he has no credibility means he shouldn't be taken seriously. And
I would say his performance as GM proves he knows very little about the "inner workings" of the league. If he actually knew something about them perhaps he wouldn't have been the worst GM in modern history?
Since
I believe in personal responsibility IMO it reflects badly on both the Ford family and Millen, or Mcmillen if you prefer. ;)

I've already spent more time on him than he's worth. You like him and I think he lacks credibility - that's OK, right? You can have the last word.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strange you would post this - don't you get upset when posters mischaracterize your posts? In my first mention of him I posted, "I loved all he did "for" the Lions…" Why would I be upset he ruined a team in the Packers' division? Hell, I wish he was still their GM. Your understanding is correct: My saying he has no credibility means he shouldn't be taken seriously. And I would say his performance as GM proves he knows very little about the "inner workings" of the league. If he actually knew something about them perhaps he wouldn't have been the worst GM in modern history? Since I believe in personal responsibility IMO it reflects badly on both the Ford family and Millen, or Mcmillen if you prefer. ;)

I've already spent more time on him than he's worth. You like him and I think he lacks credibility - that's OK, right? You can have the last word.

Its not about having a "last word" and I didn't Mischaracterize your post, I said it sounds like, which means its my interpretation. Come on, no need to twist things.

Sorry, my phone changed it from m. Millen to Mcmillen. I think I might have not put the . In there to cause it. I apologize for my grammatical error and thank you for pointing it out. If I could award you points for this I would.

We can agree to disagree on the quality of an announcer I hope.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
More Maddenisms

'Football is 90% Mental and 50% Physical"
'You cannot outrun Brett Favre's arm'

Good ones. I remember once when Madden was explaining how the smartest linemen know that the lower they crouch, the closer they get to the grass, and the more oxygen they can get.

To this day, I have no idea if Madden was serious, joking, or just plain drunk that day.

I liked Madden.

I did not like Bryant Gumball. Haven't seen his name on this thread yet.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good ones. I remember once when Madden was explaining how the smartest linemen know that the lower they crouch, the closer they get to the grass, and the more oxygen they can get.

To this day, I have no idea if Madden was serious, joking, or just plain drunk that day.

I liked Madden.

I did not like Bryant Gumball. Haven't seen his name on this thread yet.

Ohh i love Bryant Gumball. The best white sports commentator of all time! haha.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the "modern era" (post AFL/NFL merger) it has to be Dennis Miller. Not only did he know nothing about football, but he nightly committed the crime of not being funny. In the "ancient era" it would be Curt Gowdy, who was Head Cheerleader for the AFL on all broadcasts he did. Funny though, the new NFL has become the old AFL; so maybe Curt was right.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must say I enjoy both Ivo's and JackVainisi's posts and would like them both to shake hands (electronically) and keep posting happily ever after.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I must say I enjoy both Ivo's and JackVainisi's posts and would like them both to shake hands (electronically) and keep posting happily ever after.
I appreciate that, JBlood. But as far as I know, ivo610 and I have no problem. I posted, “You like him and I think he lacks credibility – that’s OK, right?” That doesn’t look like we have a problem from my point of view, does it? The “last word” comment just meant I had already spent too much discussing a guy I don’t respect, don’t care about at all, and hadn’t thought about for years until this thread.

I really don’t understand how the exchange between ivo610 and me looks uncivil. The only “problem” I had with it is ivo610 posted “You sound very upset with him for his **** poor job with the lions” when I clearly had posted as a Packers fan I LOVED the job he did for the Lions. (Hell, I’d love the GMs for all the division opponents to follow suit.) IMO that is an obvious mischaracterization of what I posted. Emotion is difficult to discern from the written word but neither of us used any expletives, neither of us engaged in name-calling. In fact I listed in what I believe was a logical and unemotional progression why I believe Millen lacks credibility.

Beyond that, the value of this and other forums is the exchange of ideas. IMO if two people share the exact same opinions on every subject, for the purpose of this board one of them is unnecessary. As long as we remain civil and respect others who post civilly, not only are disagreements OK, they’re necessary as they present at the very least another perspective on whatever subject is being discussed and potentially a learning opportunity for not only those engaging in the debate/disagreement but also for those reading it.

If I may, I’d like to add a personal comment: My forum name is obviously a tribute to Jack Vainisi. It’s not a big deal but I would appreciate it if in referring to me on this forum posters would use “Thx” or “TJV” rather than “Jack” or “Jack Vainisi”. Again, not a big deal as I know the full name is too much to type; I just don’t want it to appear like I’m attempting to impersonate the great Jack Vainisi.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, TJV. Appreciate the post. I mistook the exchange. I really do like both of your postings. Keep up the good work.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another poster and I met up yesterday and this came up. We both agreed about how awful Gruden is.

My issue with chuckie as he is affectionately know as, is his constant praise of players. It's a drinking game waiting to happen. I could pass out by the 3rd if I took a shot every time he said "I love this guy."

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Of recent vintage, Jerry Glanville was the dregs, barely below whoever was doing the Packers in the 80's.

Bingo....that guy left a hundred million paper cuts on my ear drums that are still healing to this day. He was the first name to pop into my head. Listening to that guy was like hitting yourself over the head with a mallet because it felt good when you stopped.