Worst NFL Commentator(s) current or past

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always try to listen to the radio instead of the tv announcers. They do a much better job of describing the game. TV announcers have to conjure up things to say to avoid the awkward silence.

Personally, I miss Jim Irwin and Max McGee calling Packers games
Earlier in his career Irwin was the color man to Gary Bender's play-by-play for Packers radio broadcasts. He wasn't very good in that role, but became a stellar play-by-play guy later, especially with McGee, when the two complemented each other perfectly.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth by FAR!

'Jaws' is 2nd

And honorable mention goes to: Steve Young ( I know he's not a commentator but still )

Steve Young at the NFL draft last year was a complete mess and kept predicting who each team would grab. I'm pretty sure I remember him getting ZERO predictions correct and just being very, VERY annoying for about 3 or 4 hours!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Tirico has the best job in the world, followed closely by Jim Nantz.
The only arguments to make for someone with a better job might be whoever gets to play the love-interest for Jessica Alba in the next R-rated film she does. :D +PleaseGodLetitBeMeJK

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one that was so popular but so far from the moment of the game was "" Howard Coselle. " If he only new the difference between a sporting event and a world crisis he could have been useful. They even had him trying to commentate a tennis match. I guess ABC had to find a way to get viewership in those days.

Some of the best back in the day were Pat Summerall, Curt Gowdy, JACK Buck ( Joe's pa ) and, of course, the Packers' Ray Scott. Chris Schenkl and Lindsay Nelson were two others that just tried to give us the play by play.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Collinsworth is a ******. Half of the time he can't even keep names straight. There's also the obligatory reference to his own playing days for at least 2 minutes per game. That and he always sounds drunk. He's the new Pat Summerall.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Tirico has the best job in the world, followed closely by Jim Nantz.
The only arguments to make for someone with a better job might be whoever gets to play the love-interest for Jessica Alba in the next R-rated film she does. :D +PleaseGodLetitBeMeJK
IDK. Being towel boy at the SI swimsuit issue photoshoot sounds enticing.
Full disclosure: If Jessica Alba threw herself at me, I would not turn her down for anyone except Christie Brinkley in her prime (or last week.)

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth was a ****** ever since he invaded Inside the NFL. There was no reason for HBO to bring him on a show and disrupt the great team of Len and Nick. Then they add Jerry Glanville and the show just got worse..

Matt Milen is pretty horrid commentator both on a PRO and College level

I think the most underrated and best play-by-play guy is Sam Rosen. He should be on FOX's A team and covering the big games.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO....

Those are some good side splitters. I on the other hand didn't mind Madden so much. He was/is a packers fan and was the biggest Brett Favre promoter. He would even show his bratwurst on the telepromter and circle the onions and mustard..." ya gotta have the mustard here BOOM...then the onions...WHAM.." LOL that drawing on the screen use to kill me. Looked like a 2 year old went haywire with a magic marker.
I remember Madden going down to the sideline during a game (I think at halftime?) and telling Ahman Green to lose his black rubber arm band after like his 3rd fumble of the game. Green listened to him and never fumbled the rest of the game. Yeah, Madden loved him some Brett Favre too.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Madden was great. His calling a game felt just like sitting at a bar with an old friend watching the game. The quotes posted above were dumb of course, but in a funny and enjoyable way. What started bothering me was he wasn't paying attention. He went on and on about a ref ******** up. Reshowing the clip 12 times showing that the WRs feet were inbounds, but not realizing the wr never caught the ball. It bounced out of his hands. "The coaches in the booth are reviewing it now and that coach will surely throw the challenge flag. Clearly his feet where in bounds."
Madden was a hoot. Who else would circle and discuss player's butts?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love warren Sapp, Phil Simms tells good stories.

Madden got old after awhile.

Love Aikman

Hate hate hate gruden. **** coach, huge ego.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot about Dan dierdorf. That guy always annoyed me. He came across as an egomaniac. I remember his booth mate asked if he ever considered going into coaching. Dierdorf responded that no, he could make the commitment of time at this point in his life; blah blah blah. But he went on for another 3 minutes and made it sound as if he was turning down a job offer. Also thought he sounded like an idiot when he would bicker with Boomer on air.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth is a ******. Half of the time he can't even keep names straight. There's also the obligatory reference to his own playing days for at least 2 minutes per game. That and he always sounds drunk. He's the new Pat Summerall.

lol i loved Pat Summerall. John Madden would say something and Pat summerall would follow it up with "yep" just about everytime..

John Madden- "the best way to gain yards is to advance the ball down the field from the line of scrimmage."

Pat Summerall "yep"

Lol!

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collinsworth was a ****** ever since he invaded Inside the NFL. There was no reason for HBO to bring him on a show and disrupt the great team of Len and Nick. Then they add Jerry Glanville and the show just got worse..

Matt Milen is pretty horrid commentator both on a PRO and College level

I think the most underrated and best play-by-play guy is Sam Rosen. He should be on FOX's A team and covering the big games.
During a broadcast of the 1993 game between the Packers and the Saints, Matt Millen said that Tootie Robbins "has the most expansive ****** in the entire NFL".

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
● Whenever Matt Millen appears on TV commenting on the NFL a warning should appear on screen that says, "Caution: Matt Millen was the worst GM in the history of the NFL, ignore any analysis he attempts." I loved all he did "for" the Lions but the TV exec that hired/hires Millen should be summarily fired IMO.

● Madden and Summerall both stayed way too long. Even for the most ardent Favre fan, Madden's over-the-top slobbering all over him should have been embarrassing. And toward the end of his career I was worried Summerall would receive an on-air diagnosis of dementia.

● Ray Scott was the best: "Starr… Dowler… touchdown". He actually assumed that people watching TV were watching the game - what a concept.

● I loved Jim Irwin and Max McGee's personalities but I don't think either one was particularly good at their jobs. Irwin frequently neglected to report the basic action of a play like who had the ball and most particularly who made the tackle. McGee told great stories but frequently didn't add insight to game they were doing and occasionally didn't know where he was (I'm not joking about that). Contrast that to Wayne Larrivee and Larry McCarren. IMO Larrivee is one of the best radio play-by-play guys out there and I like what McCarren adds to the broadcast. I really wish there was a fix for the delay because I'd listen to their call all the time instead of occasionally and their pre- and post-game coverage and halftime show.

● IMO Howard Cossell was one of the most interesting personalities on TV in his day. And not just sports personalities. Obnoxiously arrogant yes, but extremely intelligent and not afraid to say what others wouldn't at the time.

● Since they insisted on having three guys in the booth on MNF - I prefer just two - I liked Dennis Miller being the third guy. But I his comedy and don’t think he qualifies as an "NFL commentator".