Worst NFL Commentator(s) current or past

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Who are the worst in your opinion, and why?

Mine: 1st = Chris collinsworth. why? He was a half *** WR for the bengals who acts like he is a football legend. His so called indepth game knowledge is sub par at best. Over all he is a blow hard.

2nd: Keshawn Johnson: why? Love seeing chris carter shut him down on WR questioning. He is another bloated/overrated/has been that fires off turd missles from his mouth on a weekly basis. His game day predictions are comical and amusing. Also....him being a loud mouth WR during his NFL career and even writing a book called " throw me the damn ball" was just easy to poke fun at. I think he may have sold 100 copies at best and I bet he bought half of them.

Packfan14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll agree with you there on Collinsworthless. I'm glad he isn't in Madden 13 this year.

I can't stand Troy Aikman. I think he is too biased towards certain teams and always critiquing quarterbacks. I'd rather have Joe Buck and Thom Brennaman together.

Phil Simms also. I can tolerate him but I feel like he makes some dumb comments.

I would like to hear Hawk Harrelson call a game. "Rodgers looks, throws and finds Nelson. And you can put it on the board! YES!"

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ lol...nice name for CC. Agree about Simms, he just looks like he has a touch of the down syndrome and the words he spits out helps prove that he might be a ****.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Past=Dennis Miller was the worst of all time followed by Tony Kornheiser who was in a close second.

Current=Michael Irvin and Antonio Pierce

Jaws and Jon Gruden are my two favorites. You think with as much knowledge Jaws has he would have been a way better player haha.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time the packers play on Fox it seems to be the "dream team" of Troy Aikman and Joe Buck. I think Aikman took one too many licks during his playing years and its hard to listen to him talk some times. The first example that comes to mind was in 2009 against the Steelers he bumbled on for like 10 seconds trying to say edge rusher, it came out redge usher a few times redge rusher a few times before he finally just stopped. Buck I dont mind nearly as much but it does get annoying listening to him all year long for every sporting event on fox. A close 3rd behind them has to be Tony Kornheiser he is okay in PTI but for 3 hours on prime time it got to be a little over done.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JOHN MADDEN. Even though he isn't officiating anymore I still have to put him at #1. These are some of his quotes. Literally.

“If the quaterback throws the ball in the endzone and the Wide Receiver catches it……. It’s a touchdown.” -Mindblowing.

“They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.”
- OMG.

“Whenever you talk about a Mike Shanahan offense, you’re always going to be talking about his offense.”

- LOL really??

“When its raining the field gets wet, then all of a sudden everyones running slower”

- Imagine that.

And my favorite of all-time.

“When your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it to.”

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the sucky 70's, we were never on nationally, we got the worst. The worst of the worst, to my memory was Dan Jiggs. His brilliant analsys one game? "I think, for the packers to beat xxxxxxx today, they are going to have to score more points.". Classic.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
There's a reason my friends and I say "Thank you Chris Collingsworth" whenever someone states the obvious and thinks they did a good job

Gruden is too blue collar

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite on the other hand would have to be Jon Gruden or Michael Irvin.

Jon Gruden because he brings a lot of quarterback and coaching knowledge to the booth. IS ALWAYS EXCITED. He still watches tons of tapes of teams and games studying them. He brings a lot of energy and is just a like-able guy. He also brings up a lot of guys during the telecast that may not be widely known, but are thought of highly by his teammates and coaches and explains why. These guys usually break out sooner or later.

Michael Irvin even though he isn't a in-game commentator he is an analyst for NFL Network which is wayy better then ESPN garbage. The reason I like him was because he was THE ONLY GUY or so called "experts" that stood up for Green Bay's decision to go with Aaron Rodgers over Brett Favre. While most "experts" were crying their eyes out over the "ole gunslinger" leaving, Irvin explained all the potential Aaron had, how Green Bay thought he could of led this team since last year and how they were making the right decision. He was one of the only constituents thinking that and even after Rodger's less then perfect first year he still stuck by his guns. Well. now who's right? And i've never heard him once brag about any of this either, or any "I-told-you-so"

Just my opinion

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
JOHN MADDEN. Even though he isn't officiating anymore I still have to put him at #1. These are some of his quotes. Literally.

“If the quaterback throws the ball in the endzone and the Wide Receiver catches it……. It’s a touchdown.” -Mindblowing.

“They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.”
- OMG.

“Whenever you talk about a Mike Shanahan offense, you’re always going to be talking about his offense.”

- LOL really??

“When its raining the field gets wet, then all of a sudden everyones running slower”

- Imagine that.

And my favorite of all-time.

“When your arm gets hit, the ball is not going to go where you want it to.”
LMAO....

Those are some good side splitters. I on the other hand didn't mind Madden so much. He was/is a packers fan and was the biggest Brett Favre promoter. He would even show his bratwurst on the telepromter and circle the onions and mustard..." ya gotta have the mustard here BOOM...then the onions...WHAM.." LOL that drawing on the screen use to kill me. Looked like a 2 year old went haywire with a magic marker.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did John Madden ever officiate? :confused:

Here's one I like from Madden: "Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”

btw, for awful, You should watch a Redskin game and listen to Joe Theisman. :sick:

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I find Buck to be way to biased no matter which sport he's commentating. Keshawn Johnson is just a tool then only insite he should give is how to knock balls down over the middle so you don't get hit. I love when Ditka give him he look because everyone knows Keshawn would have lasted 1 quarter in his day. Kornheiser(?) was so angry about everything. Aikmen is too good for everyone (according to himself).

More Maddenisms

'Football is 90% Mental and 50% Physical"
'You cannot outrun Brett Favre's arm'

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I like Gruden... and of course I love Larry McCarren and Wayne Larrivee... As far as play by play I cant stand Collinworth... Al Michaels is great but Collinsworth ruins it... as far as football analysis I dont like Heath Evans... Talk about being biased... he is all over the Saints ball bag anytime there is a comparison involving them... Either learn to be a a good football analyzer or go buy some pom poms

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN Crew is the worst...their lowest point is when Kornheiser was on the crew. I hate the back and forth with Jaws and Gruden, they are like 12 year old girls. ugh, ide rather have the entire thing on mute.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the sucky 70's, we were never on nationally, we got the worst. The worst of the worst, to my memory was Dan Jiggs. His brilliant analsys one game? "I think, for the packers to beat xxxxxxx today, they are going to have to score more points.". Classic.
Do you mean Dan Jiggetts? I agree; he was not very good at all. Many ex-players have been less than inspiring in the booth. Speaking of ex-Bears commentators, George Connor was even worse.
Here's a piece from earlier this year rating some recent announcing teams:
http://nfl.si.com/2012/02/08/ranking-the-nfls-best-announce-teams/

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been so annoyed at the announcer(s) that you muted the TV and listened to the game on the radio? I remember my father doing that...lol ....the delay between the tv and radio was funny.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't stand: Warren Sapp. Michael Irvin is also terrible.

Collinsworth is okay by me. Not great, but good enough.
Phil Sims is overrated, Boomer Esiason is underrated.
Aikman is pretty good.

I respect the announcers who have the kahuna's to criticize the REAL officials when they screw teams over.
This pre-season, they're all jumping on the bandwagon. But let's hear them say it on air when the real refs are back, ******** a team over.

I miss the old school NBC guys Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, Bob Trumpy, Merlin Olsen, D*ck Enberg.
Back in the days of Air Coryell... they had the best voices. If you're younger than 30, you should youtube those guys and have a listen to some of their stuff. Classic..

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Madden was great. His calling a game felt just like sitting at a bar with an old friend watching the game. The quotes posted above were dumb of course, but in a funny and enjoyable way. What started bothering me was he wasn't paying attention. He went on and on about a ref ******** up. Reshowing the clip 12 times showing that the WRs feet were inbounds, but not realizing the wr never caught the ball. It bounced out of his hands. "The coaches in the booth are reviewing it now and that coach will surely throw the challenge flag. Clearly his feet where in bounds."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always try to listen to the radio instead of the tv announcers. They do a much better job of describing the game. TV announcers have to conjure up things to say to avoid the awkward silence.

Personally, I miss Jim Irwin and Max McGee calling Packers games

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts