World Cup Brazil 2014

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hopefully I will be wrong about this part. We will see tonight. The Dutch don't appear to be very motivated for tonight's match though :(.

I really dont understand that, everyone wants to win the big one and the Dutch did very well. But they dont want to fight for third place and a medal? very strange........................:cautious:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont understand that, everyone wants to win the big one and the Dutch did very well. But they dont want to fight for third place and a medal? very strange........................:cautious:

Well some guys seems to be motivated, but some don't. Guys like Kuyt, de Vrij and Vlaar seemed to motivated, but especially Robben and Sneijder said that they would rather not play a game for "nothing" (their words). It was said straight after the lost penalties's, so hopefully they are also motivated by now. Not sure though.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well some guys seems to be motivated, but some don't. Guys like Kuyt, de Vrij and Vlaar seemed to motivated, but especially Robben and Sneijder said that they would rather not play a game for "nothing" (their words). It was said straight after the lost penalties's, so hopefully they are also motivated by now. Not sure though.

Ahh who else but the spoilt prima divas of the team, their coach also thinks the same so i hear. As if potentially coming third with a medal at the biggest Soccer tourney in the world meant nothing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh who else but the spoilt prima divas of the team, their coach also thinks the same so i hear. As if potentially coming third with a medal at the biggest Soccer tourney in the world meant nothing. :rolleyes:

Yeah you are right. Maybe because they (Robben en Sneijder) already have a silver medal? I am not sure.

I agree with you though, I would play to win. Bronze is still nice. Hopefully the players want the same today!

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yeah you are right. Maybe because they (Robben en Sneijder) already have a silver medal? I am not sure.

I agree with you though, I would play to win. Bronze is still nice. Hopefully the players want the same today!

Its pretty mad if thats the attitude, already they have something no player in my country will never get (a Silver) from South Africa. And a bronze must be soo unworthy for the prema's. Just for the likes of workers like Kuyt, de Vrij and Vlaar etc i hope Holland beat Brazil, i know its unlikely but you never know. :sneaky:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its pretty mad if thats the attitude, already they have something no player in my country will never get (a Silver) from South Africa. And a bronze must be soo unworthy for the prema's. Just for the likes of workers like Kuyt, de Vrij and Vlaar etc i hope Holland beat Brazil, i know its unlikely but you never know. :sneaky:

Well many sportswriters and athletes (including many athletes that won bronze themselves at the Olympics), have called upon them to win this game. Moreover guys from the 1998 team (the team that lost the bronze medal game versus Croatia in an very poor display) have done the same. So it is a big issue over here.

But something is wrong when other people have to tell you that you should try to win.

btw: Kuyt also has a silver medal, he just has a different attitude.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well many sportswriters and athletes (including many athletes that won bronze themselves at the Olympics), have called upon them to win this game. Moreover guys from the 1998 team (the team that lost the bronze medal game versus Croatia in an very poor display) have done the same. So it is a big issue over here.

But something is wrong when other people have to tell you that you should try to win.

btw: Kuyt also has a silver medal, he just has a different attitude.

I'm glad you mentioned that, an Olympic Bronze is a huge thing. A World Cup one is equal in my book.
I remember watching the Croatia game in 98, Holland could not be bothered Croatia wanted it.
Fairplay to Kuyt.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
There's a lot of teams who would love to be playing for 3rd. Mine included.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of teams who would love to be playing for 3rd. Mine included.

I agree. I think that the team will be heavily criticized over here if the lose unmotivated. The thing is that positive incentives (wanting to win) usually work better than negative incentives (not being criticized).

ps: Saying that they don't care about this game already was a huge PR-fail, no matter what happens.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Why does Julio Cesar end up flat on his *** when the ball is heading into the top of the net? Guessed wrong. 2-0 Holland.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Shambolic defending again from Brazil. Luiz's heading it back to Blind was awful, what a finish though.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well apparently they were motivated after all! We have won BRONZE! :)

I was yet again a poor showing by Brazil (minus Oscar, who played a pretty good game). Brazil was giving away lots of space. If the Dutch would have made less mistakes on their counterattacks, like the Germans did, the score could have been worse.

By the way, the ref made several mistakes. Not the the ref that should officiate a bronze medal game.
- The first minute should have been a red card and a free kick instead of yellow and a penalty.
- Brazil should have gotten a penalty for the foul by Blind. And I think they would have gotten it if Oscar would have fallen flat down after he was hit, instead of jumping and making a dive that could have won the Olympic diving competition. Nevertheless, it was a foul by Blind first, before the showdive, so it should have been a penalty.
- Robben should have gotten a a penalty in the second half.
- Many more mistakes, including cards that should have been given, and cards that shouldn't have been given.

PS: At a certain point (after the Blind-Janmaat substitution) the Netherlands played with 4 Feyenoord players, 3 players from the Feyenoord academy, and another 2 former Feyenoord players [proud Feyenoord fan] :)

PS2: According to a poll 81% of the Dutch people support Germany tonight. Seems like times have changed somehow.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
According to a poll 81% of the Dutch people support Germany tonight. Seems like times have changed somehow.

You mean the Feyenoord fans don't meet the Schalke fans at motorway rest stops for organized rumbles anymore? Just kidding. :D

Times certainly have changed in the Nederlands. There just has seemed to be a huge political shift to the right. We hear stories here in Canada about certain immigrants... (Turks for example)... who cannot get a residence permit even if they marry a Dutch person. Some of them end up here. Apparently foreigners aren't allowed to buy the tasty dopes de smokes anymore either.

I used to absolutely love the place... (except for the high taxes). If Holland's new intolerance means they now like the Germans better... well... that is just weird.

btw... nice takes on the game Luca. Thanks for posting.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, this post will be completely off-topic ;)

You mean the Feyenoord fans don't meet the Schalke fans at motorway rest stops for organized rumbles anymore? Just kidding. :D

Well many European teams have hooligans and unfortunately Feyenoord has them as well. These guys got us "kicked out" of the UEFA cup years ago in Nancy and they also attacked the board once. These hooligans are HATED by the real fans, and the real fans took a very strong stance against these guys several years ago with banners and stuff. There still is a big anti-hooliganism movement. That has helped tremendously. Since that moment there have not been any notable incidents surrounding Feyenoord. Hopefully it will remain that way.

Times certainly have changed in the Nederlands. There just has seemed to be a huge political shift to the right.

I don't think there is huge political shift to the right, to be honest. Basically everyone can start a political party over here, plus we don't have an electoral threshold. So its pretty easy for populist idiots to get a number of seats in the parliament (or for an animal rights party or elderly party, or you name it). Most of the times these populists are ecomomically left and right wing on crime and immigration topics. Just whatever gets them votes. For most part of the history, we have had these parties, the just never had any power. Several years ago there was a huge standstill after the election. Basically not a single majority government made sense. Therefore we got a minority government, that was supported by the populists (they were NOT part of the government). That government was a HUGE mistake and broke down very quickly.

Right now we have a government with a right wing liberal party and labour. Moreover they are supported by the centre liberals (anything-goes-liberals), the left wing liberals, and the very strict conservatives. So its an very odd combination, but its not right wing.

Dutch politics is just very very complicated :unsure:.

Apparently foreigners aren't allowed to buy the tasty dopes de smokes anymore either.

First, drugs have always been illegal here, the authorities just aren't allowed to enforce that law (if i would be legal, you would break certain treaties). Second, there used to be many coffee shops close to the border, that sold drugs exclusively to foreigners. Belgium and France pressured us to stop this. The new law is to stop foreigners form buying drugs along the Dutch/Belgium-border.

We hear stories here in Canada about certain immigrants... (Turks for example)... who cannot get a residence permit even if they marry a Dutch person. Some of them end up here.

If you have a job, getting a permit is actually really easy. If you don't have a job, you will have to learn the language first, before you are allowed to move to Holland . Moreover there are very strict rules that should prevent forced or fake marriages (either of them has been a huge problem). So the rules make sense, they are just too strict now.

Keep in mind that there are still many immigrants in the Netherlands. Here in Rotterdam more than 50% of the population are immigrants. They are from all over the place and make Rotterdam a real melting pot. (which is great, because Rotterdam is probably the only city that re-celebrates carnival in the summer, to make sure that our Latina residents can show off the smallest bikini they own ;))

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well apparently they were motivated after all! We have won BRONZE! :)

I was yet again a poor showing by Brazil (minus Oscar, who played a pretty good game). Brazil was giving away lots of space. If the Dutch would have made less mistakes on their counterattacks, like the Germans did, the score could have been worse.

By the way, the ref made several mistakes. Not the the ref that should officiate a bronze medal game.
- The first minute should have been a red card and a free kick instead of yellow and a penalty.
- Brazil should have gotten a penalty for the foul by Blind. And I think they would have gotten it if Oscar would have fallen flat down after he was hit, instead of jumping and making a dive that could have won the Olympic diving competition. Nevertheless, it was a foul by Blind first, before the showdive, so it should have been a penalty.
- Robben should have gotten a a penalty in the second half.

- Many more mistakes, including cards that should have been given, and cards that shouldn't have been given.

PS: At a certain point (after the Blind-Janmaat substitution) the Netherlands played with 4 Feyenoord players, 3 players from the Feyenoord academy, and another 2 former Feyenoord players [proud Feyenoord fan] :)

PS2: According to a poll 81% of the Dutch people support Germany tonight. Seems like times have changed somehow.

I agree, most of all with the penalty decision, it was not a pen but he was the last man and should have been off.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on topic- today is the day. :p
Hopefully there will be a fourth star on our shirts from tomorrow on.
Viewing party in Berlin closed since 18.00, too many visitors, more than 200.000 already there and waiting for kickoff. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts