World Cup Brazil 2014

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well what a shitload of "scoreboard-journalism" on this board. Brazil had more shots on target and more possession, they just were unlucky ;)

The difference between good teams and bad teams, is that bad teams are usually used to losing and used to fighting for their dignity. They would just switch to an all out defence. Ironically this kind of big defeat would have never happened to a bad team. Brazil did the opposite. Instead of taking a breath and reorganizing their defence, Brazil naively kept playing to equalize as quickly as possible, without any organization or whatsoever, thereby giving away loads of space and easy goals.

This is therefore probably the second weirdest soccer match I've ever seen. The weirdest was a game versus two Dutch giants PSV and Feyenoord. Feyenoord dominated the first half, but somehow still conceded two goals. Then tried desperately to equalize after the break only to concede 5 more goals in the first 10 minutes after the break and another 3 goals in the rest of the game. So that game ended in 10-0.
PSV lost the next game, and Feyenoord won the next game. Moreover that season PSV could win the championship in the return game in Rotterdam, and they lost both the game and the championship. Since that game Feyenoord has beaten PSV 5 times, while PSV has only beaten Feyenoord twice.

Moral of the story: Germany will lose the final and Brazil will win their next game :) Moreover Brazil will beat Germany in Russia and Qatar :) This victory will haunt Germany forever :whistling:

[ok, maybe this is just wishfull thinking ;)]

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well what a shitload of "scoreboard-journalism" on this board. Brazil had more shots on target and more possession, they just were unlucky ;)

The difference between good teams and bad teams, is that bad teams are usually used to losing and used to fighting for their dignity. They would just switch to an all out defence. Ironically this kind of big defeat would have never happened to a bad team. Brazil did the opposite. Instead of taking a breath and reorganizing their defence, Brazil naively kept playing to equalize as quickly as possible, without any organization or whatsoever, thereby giving away loads of space and easy goals.

This is therefore probably the second weirdest soccer match I've ever seen. The weirdest was a game versus two Dutch giants PSV and Feyenoord. Feyenoord dominated the first half, but somehow still conceded two goals. Then tried desperately to equalize after the break only to concede 5 more goals in the first 10 minutes after the break and another 3 goals in the rest of the game. So that game ended in 10-0.
PSV lost the next game, and Feyenoord won the next game. Moreover that season PSV could win the championship in the return game in Rotterdam, and they lost both the game and the championship. Since that game Feyenoord has beaten PSV 5 times, while PSV has only beaten Feyenoord twice.

Moral of the story: Germany will lose the final and Brazil will win their next game :) Moreover Brazil will beat Germany in Russia and Qatar :) This victory will haunt Germany forever :whistling:

[ok, maybe this is just wishfull thinking ;)]

I think its already haunting them..........the fact that they only scored seven. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ? :eek::D;)
But to be serious: I think Brazil just wasnt as good as they thought they are and - more important - you are right that a result like this only could happen because Brazil wasnt parking the bus.
Our former goalie Oliver Kahn called it an implosion of the Brazilian team. Too much pressure, wrong tactics and a strong opponent, that was simply too much to handle.
If this win was good or bad for our team can be seen on Sunday. Btw - just met a Dutch colleague who asked me if I'm watching football tonight because they are playing against Argentina. I answered sure I will because we are playing them on Sunday ! :sneaky::p

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I don't think anything I say applies to any logic, in fact the views I purport here are not supported or approved by US Soccer. :D

What I do say does apply to common sense. You can blame wrong tactics, the coach, the injuries, the pressure... that's ALL excuses. Facts are, Brazil played **** poor because they just aren't that good, and they were shell shocked... plain and simple.

I don't remember Germany sitting back after a 2-0 lead over Portugal. Nope, they pressed forward and scored 2 more. The point is while we were outplayed against Germany, we didn't get throttled while we were at least trying to score (unlike Algiers). Everyone thinks we are a young football country, but we already celebrated 100 years of soccer. There might have been a few gaps in between years competitively, but the "European" mindset seems to be that we are about 40 years behind schedule, when in reality it's really only a few years behind. I'm the same age as some of you and a only a little younger some others of you, but that doesn't mean my football logic or knowledge is years behind just because I like USA Soccer. That would be simply naïve thinking.

USA soccer is more than just knocking on the door, we're cracking it open.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Honestly, that's indeed the most likely scenario. Argentina is the clear favourite, but favourites don't always win. ;)

If the Dutch play good football i would hope they win, however if its ugly Kung Fu Fighting again like the last one in 2010 i hope its Argentina. We want a good final not a brawl.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I don't think anything I say applies to any logic, in fact the views I purport here are not supported or approved by US Soccer. :D

What I do say does apply to common sense. You can blame wrong tactics, the coach, the injuries, the pressure... that's ALL excuses. Facts are, Brazil played **** poor because they just aren't that good, and they were shell shocked... plain and simple.

I don't remember Germany sitting back after a 2-0 lead over Portugal. Nope, they pressed forward and scored 2 more. The point is while we were outplayed against Germany, we didn't get throttled while we were at least trying to score (unlike Algiers). Everyone thinks we are a young football country, but we already celebrated 100 years of soccer. There might have been a few gaps in between years competitively, but the "European" mindset seems to be that we are about 40 years behind schedule, when in reality it's really only a few years behind. I'm the same age as some of you and a only a little younger some others of you, but that doesn't mean my football logic or knowledge is years behind just because I like USA Soccer. That would be simply naïve thinking.

USA soccer is more than just knocking on the door, we're cracking it open.

We dont think you lack knowledge Bund far from it, USA are a little similar to Australia, when the Aussies had a good coach they did well (Hiddink) Soccer has alot of competition in that country aswell but its on the up. The US team come across as rough commited upstarts but i mean that in a goodway, ;) thats their style and their making the most of it. Klinsmann did a great job for them this tourney.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Dutch play good football i would hope they win, however if its ugly Kung Fu Fighting again like the last one in 2010 i hope its Argentina. We want a good final not a brawl.

Well the dirty guys van Bommel, de Zeeuw and Heitinga are no longer with the team. Only De Jong is still with the team, but he might not even play tonight. Moreover he didn't make a lot of dirty tackles recently. Guys like de Vrij, Martins Indi, Blind, Wijnaldum are anything but dirty. So I wouldn't expect to that final turns into a brawl with these guys in the team.

Having said that, I don't expect the Dutch to play very good football either. I honestly expect the Dutch to play very defensive counter football tonight

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Well the dirty guys van Bommel, de Zeeuw and Heitinga are no longer with the team. Only De Jong is still with the team, but he might not even play tonight. Moreover he didn't make a lot of dirty tackles recently. Guys like de Vrij, Martins Indi, Blind, Wijnaldum are anything but dirty. So I wouldn't expect to that final turns into a brawl with these guys in the team.

Having said that, I don't expect the Dutch to play very good football either. I honestly expect the Dutch to play very defensive counter football tonight

Thats good to hear although as you said De Jong is still there. That final was the last straw for me with Holland sad to say, it was more like a Rugby game. If the Dutch do make it, it would be nice if a game of football broke out.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats good to hear although as you said De Jong is still there. That final was the last straw for me with Holland sad to say, it was more like a Rugby game. If the Dutch do make it, it would be nice if a game of football broke out.

Yeah. But Nigel de Jong has Changed. In 2009 and 2010 he got 10 bookings while playing for the Dutch team. From 2011 onward he only got 4 bookings. Morover he isn't booked yet during this world cup. So he is a lot smarter now, and less dirty.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
We dont think you lack knowledge Bund far from it, USA are a little similar to Australia, when the Aussies had a good coach they did well (Hiddink) Soccer has alot of competition in that country aswell but its on the up. The US team come across as rough commited upstarts but i mean that in a goodway, ;) thats their style and their making the most of it. Klinsmann did a great job for them this tourney.

One US soccer player put it this way. ESPN asked him when the U.S. would be as competitive as other nations. His response was that when he went to other countries, little kids were playing soccer in the streets and alleys and back yards. He said when we see that happening all over the place in the U.S., then the U.S. will be as competitive.

I went to a very large High School, (graduated in the early 70's) and we had Football, Basketball, Women's basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, Women's softball, Gymnastics, Track and field, Cross Country, Golf, Women's field hockey, womens powder puff football, and a tennis team. We had all of that, and no soccer. :cry:

But I think the U.S. is making a lot more headway today in soccer than "back in the day".

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
One US soccer player put it this way. ESPN asked him when the U.S. would be as competitive as other nations. His response was that when he went to other countries, little kids were playing soccer in the streets and alleys and back yards. He said when we see that happening all over the place in the U.S., then the U.S. will be as competitive.

I went to a very large High School, (graduated in the early 70's) and we had Football, Basketball, Women's basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, Women's softball, Gymnastics, Track and field, Cross Country, Golf, Women's field hockey, womens powder puff football, and a tennis team. We had all of that, and no soccer. :cry:

But I think the U.S. is making a lot more headway today in soccer than "back in the day".

Very good analogy and sums it up in a nutshell.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I know it's only 11 minutes into the match, but these two teams seem to be playing rather cautiously.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I may be totally wrong, but looking at these teams tonight, Germany will give either one of them head aches they won't forget.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOOOOOO not 30 more of this lol I think both teams are not sure if they want to win and have to face Germany.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Two teams playing "not to lose". I've had enough. I think I'll go do something entertaining...like, clean my basement...

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Two teams playing "not to lose". I've had enough. I think I'll go do something entertaining...like, clean my basement...

Guess what Croakie...............one of them won. ;)
The final will be a dogged midfield/defensive stalemate with the Argies playing counter attack, i hope im wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Guess what Croakie...............one of them won. ;)
The final will be a dogged midfield/defensive stalemate with the Argies playing counter attack, i hope im wrong. :rolleyes:

Germany has a better attacking midfield than the Netherlands. They'll make it harder on the "Argies".

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Germany has a better attacking midfield than the Netherlands. They'll make it harder on the "Argies".

The Argies were scared of the Dutch and always playing for penalties, no doubt more of the same...........it says it all that a defender was their best player.

Last edited:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
And now... for your moment of Zen...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...d-and-will-lose-to-argentina-says-paul-merson

"People might think I’m mad, but I don’t think Germany are that good.

I really don’t. I’m blanking out the Brazil game because Brazil were atrocious. I’ve never seen anything like it in 30 years of football.

If you go by the other games then there’s not a lot that’s great about Germany. If you go back to the Algeria game then Germany should have been 3-0 down in the first 30 minutes and they could have been out of the tournament.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Everybody seems to be talking about one game against Brazil, but that’s the worst performance I’ve seen in my footballing life."

Paul Merson

I thought Ghana were better than Germany in the group stages as well and a better, more ruthless team would have punished them"

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
And now... for your moment of Zen...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...d-and-will-lose-to-argentina-says-paul-merson

"People might think I’m mad, but I don’t think Germany are that good.
I really don’t. I’m blanking out the Brazil game because Brazil were atrocious. I’ve never seen anything like it in 30 years of football.

If you go by the other games then there’s not a lot that’s great about Germany. If you go back to the Algeria game then Germany should have been 3-0 down in the first 30 minutes and they could have been out of the tournament.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Everybody seems to be talking about one game against Brazil, but that’s the worst performance I’ve seen in my footballing life."

Paul Merson

I thought Ghana were better than Germany in the group stages as well and a better, more ruthless team would have punished them"

I would not really take anything Merson said seriously, this is a guy who once placed a £10,000 bet that Scotland would beat Costa Rica in 1990 they didn't.......:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts