Woodson's new knee injury won't keep him from starting

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By GREG A. BEDARD and LORI NICKEL
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 9, 2008

Green Bay - While the Green Bay Packers are officially the healthiest they have been all season, there were a few surprises on the injury report released Wednesday in advance of Saturday's divisional playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks.

Cornerback Charles Woodson, after fully practicing Tuesday, was noticeably absent Wednesday. But coach Mike McCarthy said Woodson's new knee injury was minor and Woodson would be ready to start the game.

"Woodson bumped his knee on the turf yesterday, just had some swelling," McCarthy said. "He'll be fine. We know Charles will be ready to go."

Woodson has been battling a chronic toe injury since the Detroit Lions game Nov. 22. If Woodson had his way, he would have started both the games in which he was rested (at Dallas, vs. Detroit).

"He's a warrior, there's no question about that," said defensive coordinator Bob Sanders. "He's a big playmaker and certainly my hat goes off to him and the things he does week in and week out to get himself ready."

His lengthy time off is not a concern, said cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington, who also was sure that Woodson would play.

"Charles is the type of player that when he's a little banged up he gets a little rest and gets ready comes back," said Washington. "He's one of the few players I've been around in a long, long time that cannot practice and still come out on a Saturday or Sunday and play well."

In addition to Woodson, receivers Greg Jennings (groin) and James Jones (hamstring) also had new injuries that McCarthy wasn't concerned about.

"They both wanted to finish practice," McCarthy said. "(We're) just being cautious. They experienced some tightness three-quarters of the way through practice, so I sent them up for treatment."

Cornerback Will Blackmon tested his injured foot on the side at practice and will be re-evaluated this morning. Even if Blackmon is cleared, McCarthy said he likely would be relegated to just punt return duty.

"The return game is the biggest factor that I think he can contribute in the football game," McCarthy said. "Also (nickel and dime) defenses are something you have to be concerned about because he hasn't taken the reps, so that's a decision that we're going to have to make probably (today)."

Tramon Williams likely would get the nod at nickel back in place of Blackmon.

Jason Spitz (quadriceps) and Koren Robinson (knee) were the only other players listed to give the Packers six players on the injury report. That's the fewest number they've had all season. Seven in Week 1 was the previous low. The Packers had a season-high 18 for the Week 11 game against the Carolina Panthers.

Members online

Latest posts