Woodson signs with Raiders

MidnightToker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schefter: "Raiders gave Charles Woodson a $1.8 million base, including a $700,000 signing bonus, plus incentives."

Looks like #21 is going to finish his career where it started

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats to Reggie Mckenzie for taking on a job that no one else wanted. He had an impossible task of changing the culture of the Raiders. He cleaned house and with the signings of Woodson & Joshua Cribbs he brought in veteran leadership and also proved to the NFL that Oakland now may become a franchise that players will choose to play as compared to years past.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda upset, TT couldn't offer a deal like that to bring him back? hope he tears it up in Oakland and i know he will. But on a good note at least i can rock my #24 Oakland Jersey again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats to Charles. I'm happy that he gets a team that needs him. My only disappointment is in how little I'll be able to see him play except for Sportscenter highlights

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I doubt his diminishing skill set will be a major help to them, but his leadership and on field smarts should at least be a plus for a rebuilding team. Matt flynn will be there to keep him company lol.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda upset, TT couldn't offer a deal like that to bring him back? hope he tears it up in Oakland and i know he will. But on a good note at least i can rock my #24 Oakland Jersey again.

We need to get all your "what I would have done" comments in one area so we can revisit them later

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
According to rotoworld, the Denver Post reported Woodson had a one-year offer from the Broncos for a $3.7M deal with "reachable incentives". Woodson's deal with the Raiders is worth a guaranteed $2.5M and a max of $4.3M but it's not known how reachable the incentives are with Oakland.

Who knows whether or not he would have accepted the "Denver deal" from the Packers, but it looks fair to say it would have cost the Packers about $3.7M in money and cap space this season to retain him. I loved the way Woodson played. I admire the way he conducted himself on and off the field in Green Bay after he sorted out his differences with McCarthy. I greatly admire his charitable actions. I loved how he tutored young DBs. I loved the leadership he provided not only to the D, but to the entire team. But Mr. Woodson will turn 37 years old on October 7, 2013. It was time to move on, so I would have been against spending almost $4M to keep him on the roster this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that for the same money Woodson would have stayed. The writing was on the wall here. He wasn't going to play much CB anymore and there was a large crop of young DBs about ready to take over the reigns. Woodson wants to play, not just collect a paycheck (that's still important though). A lot of his comments were about wanting to play. That's one thing that neither you nor TT could really offer to Charles.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end, its looking like Woodson wanted to be a Raider again and end his career where he started. Good for him and good luck to him.

OP
OP
MidnightToker

MidnightToker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an interesting decision. If I were Woodson, I would have definitely gone to Denver even if it was slightly less money. Significantly higher chance of getting one more ring this year (IMO)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Woodson should go to Denver, where if he was there late last year in that Ravens game, at safety, they would have gone to the Super Bowl.

But Woodson felt some loyalty to both Oakland, their fans, and to Reggie McKenzie. I'm glad for Charles.
What a difference the way he, Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Donald Driver, Reggie White, even Edgar Bennett handled things compared to Favray and Jennings.

You just can't go to Minnesota and stay in our good graces.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Woodson should go to Denver, where if he was there late last year in that Ravens game, at safety, they would have gone to the Super Bowl.

But Woodson felt some loyalty to both Oakland, their fans, and to Reggie McKenzie. I'm glad for Charles.
What a difference the way he, Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Donald Driver, Reggie White, even Edgar Bennett handled things compared to Favray and Jennings.

You just can't go to Minnesota and stay in our good graces.

Edgar went to the Bears after we released him, as I recall... ;P

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Good for Woodson. I think he took a home town discount for the Raiders over the Broncos. While kind of sad to see him go, he won his ring with the Pack, gave some great leadership to the team to get it done, and then goes back to first team.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes that's correct. Nobody can sign with another team if they are still under contract with us.
I think you missed the incongruity of saying you can't sign with the Vikes and be on good terms, and then listing Bennett, someone who signed with the hated Bears, as an example of how you handle being released by the Packers.

And, yes, I do get that you can't sign with anyone if you're under contract with a team. :p

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you missed the incongruity of saying you can't sign with the Vikes and be on good terms, and then listing Bennett, someone who signed with the hated Bears, as an example of how you handle being released by the Packers.

And, yes, I do get that you can't sign with anyone if you're under contract with a team. :p
Right, Edgar signed with the hated Bears, yet nobody lost any respect for him, and we all still loved him. Because he did it with class.
The opposite is true of Benedict Farve. Sad, but that's the way it is.

Now some forgive easier, faster, than others.
But apparently there are plenty of fans, like me, who just can't forget about his actions so soon.

The ole Gunslinger.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, Edgar signed with the hated Bears, yet nobody lost any respect for him, and we all still loved him. Because he did it with class.
The opposite is true of Benedict Farve. Sad, but that's the way it is.

Now some forgive easier, faster, than others.
But apparently there are plenty of fans, like me, who just can't forget about his actions so soon.

The ole Gunslinger.

I'm not about to tell anyone how to feel about Brett Favre- I understand those who feel that leaving the wound to fester for longer is bound to prolong unnecessary suffering and strife, and I also understand those that feel that he has amends to make before he's welcomed back to the hallowed halls of Lambeau. I don't know what the answer is.

I do applaud the work by Mark Murphy to try and close the gap though. I don't know when it happens, but if it does, it will be because Murphy provides leadership, affirmed by other significant Packers, to get it done. ARod certainly wouldn't speak out of turn if Murphy hadn't laid the intention of the team out clearly for all.

And maybe you were OK with Bennett rushing for 1000 with the Bears, but I never wished him well until after he hung it up, just like I won't with Jennings (even though it's tough to argue that he left without class- he certainly left a far better taste in my mouth than Javon Walker did...). Different strokes, I suppose. :)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good for Woodson. I think he took a home town discount for the Raiders over the Broncos. While kind of sad to see him go, he won his ring with the Pack, gave some great leadership to the team to get it done, and then goes back to first team.

I was under the impression he wasn't offered a contract in Denver

Latest posts