1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Woodson should not..

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Fuzznuts, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    be returning punts, EVER!

That's how he got hurt. He is too valuable to the defense to be returning punts.

WTF?

McCarthy should know this.

I think they gave in to Woodson lobbying for it!

Put Tramon back there..or someone else, not Woody!

2. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Agreed. 100%. i've been saying it since we signed him. i think anyone who disagrees has to have their head examined. Is he a weapon returning punts? sure. but not worth the risk. not even close.

3. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    you cant play scared football. thats not how you win. Charles could cut his hand off at home carving the turkey... does that mean he shouldnt be able to go home?

If Chuckwood is the best option to return punts... thats the mother ****** i want back there. you cant win football games being scared of injuries. you gotta go out there, and be the hitter.... not worry about breaking your ankle.

4. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for saving me the energy of typing those EXACT words.

5. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    He's not the best option.

He's old and injury prone.

Leave him at the position he's good at.

6. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, exactly. I think he is good at returning punts for us but i think the risk far outweighs the reward. The extra couple of yards he might get us on punt returns means nothing if it completely throws our defense off and lets the Cowboys run up and down our defense like it was the Lions Defense.

We need Woodson covering receivers, not dodging undrafted free agents trying to knock him out on punts.

7. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    An eight-time pro bowler who can return punts IS the best option.

8. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll type it again

"Yes, exactly. I think he is good at returning punts for us but i think the risk far outweighs the reward. The extra couple of yards he might get us on punt returns means nothing if it completely throws our defense off and lets the Cowboys run up and down our defense like it was the Lions Defense.

We need Woodson covering receivers, not dodging undrafted free agents trying to knock him out on punts."

9. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We apparently completely disagree whether Woodson's a good option. I'll side with MM (who is an NFL HC), and you can side with fuzznuts.

I'll leave it at that.

10. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Stop crying like a baby. I AGREE, HE'S OUR BEST PUNT RETURNER.

But its not worth getting him hurt. If he gets hurt, we are done. Our defensive scheme depends on having a healthy Woodson & Harris. Having 2 shutdown corners is the only way we can pull of this defensive scheme with 2 mediocre at best starting safeties.

Seriously, who gives a damn about the 8 yards he gets on punt returns. Its not like he'd Devin Hester or something.

11. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    We are forgetting one little detail... when Woodson signed here.. part of the agreement was a concession to let him returrn punts..

Now he may be talked about of that arrangement, but we need to address the returner spot in order to do that.

12. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with De Real here that he is our best punt returner. Woodson's about to break one, and has a few long ones. However, he's too valuable to get hurt. We don't have solid safeties. It's the truth, and I know it hurts, but it's true. Hey, I like Bigby, but let's be realistic. He's a huge upgrade over Manual, but he's no Pro Bowler.

We need 2 shutdown corners more than we need a good punt returner back there.

13. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion, your best punt returner should be returning punts, regardless of who it is. For the past couple years, it's been Woodson. And until they get someone better, he should continue to do it. The Packers won some close games this season, and it's possible that having the second-best punt returner in there, instead of the best, may have cost them a game. (Look what happened to the Eagles against us, when they muffed two punts.)

I would love to see Tramon Williams outperform Woodson on punt returns, however, so Woodson could concentrate his efforts on defense.

14. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for the bait, ******. Nobody's crying. McCarthy obviously values the extra 8 yards of field position more than you do, and since he's got the best record in his first 28 games that any GB HC has EVER had, I'll trust his judgement.

EDIT: Watch the language please- Popcynical

15. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I just want Woodson in there PERIOD.

There was a hell of a ripple affect back there last night when he wasn't in there. Even Harris sucked a few times.

You more than likely won't see him returning kicks again until the playoffs. That kind of settles the war between you guys. He will and he won't.

But you can bet your butt the best will be out there come playoff time. About the time we keep him out in a playoff game somebody flubs one back there and we lose the game.

Whose *** would you want to see hung out to dry then?

16. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you sit on McCarthys lap? Stop pretending to know what goes on in his head. You are such a cry baby, any time anyone dissagrees with you, you attack. Grow up and stop having temper tandrums whenever someone doesnt think exactly like you do.

17. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Ok, I missed something, I guess. I never "threw a tantrum" or "cried like a baby". I offered a different opinion. YOU attacked. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my offering opinion, which is what we're here for, as a personal attack, but you hadn't even posted by the time I started my reply.

Yes, I sit on McCarthys lap, because its soft and fluffy, but that has nothing to with him having the best starting record of any GB head coach in the beginning of his tenure.

Woodson's the better option. I prefer him back there to anyone else we currently have.

18. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Tramon Williams

19. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    That is not accurate. The rumor was he chose GB because of the chance to play OFFENSE.

In fact, when asked why he chose GB, Woodson stated MONEY.

It had nothing to do being forced to play safety in TB (which he said would do), or returning punts or being on offense. It was money. Period.

20. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lets hug, i dont want to argue with Packer fans. Thats what Bear fans are for

21. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    how is he a crybaby??

22. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way in the world of hell that he should be back there. I say it to my dad every week. I dont think it is playing "scared football" or being too "passive" by not putting Woodson back to return kicks. I think it is being smart. Very smart. He doesnt do that great on his returns, and so you factor that in with the fact that he is injury prone. and how valuable he is to our secondary...I think thats pretty simple to see that he should not be back there. Give me one good reason why he should be returning kicks? Besides good hands. because there are other guys on the team with good hands that could return kicks.

23. kmeyer

kmeyer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd rather see K-Rob back there:)

24. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tramon Williams should be returning punts!
    This dude is a budding super-star.

25. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418872