Woodson returning punts, why?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why. for the love of all things logical, is Woodson still returning punts?

I'm not sure who our kickoff return speedster is, but I say it's time to get him up to punt catching speed so he can return punts too.

Woodson (and Harris) are too vital in our defense to be involved in special teams.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe one of the coaches said Woodson does it because he likes it and he would like to play on offense as well, I believe it was McCarthy.

He's one of those Gung-ho guys "give me the ball I want to play I want to do everything!!"

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think perhaps it was supposed to be Jennings (somone correct me if I'm wrong). Now he's hurt, but yes I was surprised to see Woodson on returns. Kind of scary to me, they take such big hits and pretty much run a gauntlet, I hold my breath every time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He is returning punts for one main reason.

he's the BEST option we have now to NOT turn the ball over to the other team.

See Week 01 Packers / Eagles to understand the importance of ball security.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in favor of getting the best players out there. A lot of teams have their starters playing special teams. It would be better to get another guy up to speed on this, though, as it's not like Woodson is especially great at it. I hear that the coaching staff is starting to do a little work with Tramon Williams on punt returns, because he's done well with the kick returns. And hopefully Blackmon will be able to be the full-time returner before too long.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps another reason to looking forward to (hopefully) K Rob joining the squad. I can't remember for sure but I think he's done return duties before.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Blackmon wasn't hurt he would be our number one punt returner.
If Jennings wasn't hurt he would be our number 2 punt return man.

Hopefully these guys can get back on the field so Woodson doesn't have to do it.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
K-Rob didn't return punt for the Pack last year.

His longest kick off return was 32 yards.

Let's stick with Tramon Williams who had two 40 yard return in the Giants game. :p

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though Williams also returned punts in the preseason, Stock said there are no plans to use him in that role instead of cornerback Charles Woodson.

"Woodson likes to do it," Stock said. "I think Woodson would like to play three ways."

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because Will Blackmon broke his thumb and he is not ready to return punts yet because he may not be able to secure the ball tightly and fumble it. They said he could probably be ready to return kickoffs now but probably not punts yet.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Blackmon wasn't hurt he would be our number one punt returner.
If Jennings wasn't hurt he would be our number 2 punt return man.

Hopefully these guys can get back on the field so Woodson doesn't have to do it.

Ding ding ding!

That being said, if only Jennings is ready and Blackmon still has his cast, they'll probably leave Chuck back there instead of using Jennings just as a precaution for his hammy.

Members online

Latest posts