Woodson marked man by opposing QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JSOnline: QBs to challenge Woodson early AND often!?

Woodson may be a marked man

Expect opposing quarterbacks and wide receivers to challenge Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson next season because Woodson has missed so many games and won't be in top form.

That theory about Woodson, the Packers' major free-agent acquisition this off-season, was expressed by Solomon Wilcots, a studio analyst for the NFL Network. Wilcots made his remarks Monday night on his network.

"I think it's going to take time for Charles Woodson to regain his old form," Wilcots said. "If you consider the fact that he has missed 22 games in the last four years, that's a lot of sitting over on the sideline in plainclothes, holding a clipboard. So I think there will be some rust. I do think it'll be a slow return."

Woodson missed 10 games last season and eight games in the 2002 season.

Wilcots, who played for six seasons as a defensive back in the National Football League, said he expected Packers opponents to test Woodson deep because it is going to take time for him to get back to a high level of play
Advertisement

"If I'm a quarterback or a receiver, I'm going at Charles Woodson right away because he has missed way too many games over the last four years. It's going to take him awhile to get back to form. Charles Woodson is really going to have to work to get back."

Woodson's confidence could become an issue if he's beaten often in the early going next season, Wilcots said.

"In Green Bay, they play a lot of that man-to-man, bump-and-run coverage," Wilcots said. "He's playing opposite of Al Harris, who I think is one of the best cornerbacks in terms of bump-and-run man coverage in the league."

Woodson, 29, signed a seven-year deal with the Packers worth $39.03 million. He is expected to make $10 million this season if he plays in all 16 regular-season games.
----------------------------------------------

If that's true(which it probably is), then Manuel\Collins need to be on top of it. I can't imagine Woodson getting beat a lot, especially with Collins nearby.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking that(seriously)

And I(as if its my choice, lol) wouldn't mind that. IF player A can't get it done, bring in player B. Whoever is better(A or B) needs to be in there, and I don't care who it is.

However....if it IS player B in there, then GBs CB situation is in a bad way!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my concern with Woodson. I know everyone is excited that he is here, as am I, but I am not going to be blinded into thinking this is the 2001 Charles Woodson. He was often injured and has not been a truely SHUTDOWN guy for years.

I remember watching the NE game last year and Deion Branch was beating him really bad and I kept thinking "Gee, this guy has lost a step"

Hopefully he can regain his 1999-2001 form. If not he is still probably an upgrade over Carroll and brings veteran experience.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's going to have some growing pains. Don't expect Woodson to be a shut down #1 CB right away. He's going to need to get the feel of the game back and it'll take some time.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Y'all are going to have a lot of stomach ulcers and receding hairlines if you listen to every negative word you hear about Woodson.

Solomon Wilcots, people. And his clout is??

And for whoever said Woodson lost a step and Branch was eating him up, I remember every game last year, and Woodson wasn't even on Branch. He was on David Givens almost the whole night, and I kept hitting myself as I saw Branch all over the place and questioning why Rob Ryan had Wood on the #2 receiver the whole time. Don't even question me cuz it's all in print and dated on the Raiderfans.net site.

Before I get into another ignorant debate---let me repeat myself. Charles Woodson gets no love anymore. He is too old, he is too slow, he is only a name, he lives off his Heisman hype, he is too greedy, he's not a leader...I could go on and on. I've heard it from everybody.

But guess what I think? He is healthy, in a new environment with a team that is at least giving him a chance to play special teams (which he wants), offense (which he wants), and cornerback (which he wants)----all of which are the complete opposite of Oakland, where he was franchised yet again with no contract, on a detereorating team with rookies all around him in the secondary and no linebacker help, they wouldn't let him return punts, they wouldn't let him play offense, and he played a new position at free safety most of the time. How much more uncomfortable could Al Davis make his star on defense?

Hey, I know Wilcots is just yapping, and for all I know, I'm doing the same thing. The only thing I can think to do is to just be patient and let y'all see what my boy does on the field. I'll just have to be patient until then.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're not freaking out, we're just discussing the possibility of woodson not being on top of his game(he has missed a lot of time).

Wilcots is probably right on the point that QBs will test Woodson early and often(it just makes sense).

Hopefully it only takes a couple throws his way before it's a turnover and QBs won't do that anymore.

I WANT them to throw Woodon\Harris way! And because they are our 1 and 2 CBs...they have no choice.

go pack.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
~TheJoker~ said:
Solomon Wilcots, people. And his clout is??
Former DB in the NFL.
I know WHO he is, I was inquiring as to why a guy with 2 career interceptions has room to doubt a premiere player in the NFL.

Rod Woodson is on the NFL Network. As biased towards CWood as I am, I would listen to what Rod had to say.

It's all a moot point anyway. If 'time away' is such a huge factor, how did Ty Law come back after injury, three years older than Woodson, and have a 10 interception season?

For the record, he's in training camp and will play four preseason games. Something tells me that's enough time to readjust to this mysterious cornerback position that seems to allude memories of those with injuries. If not, keep in mind he broke his leg in Oakland's super bowl run, was out for three weeks, they plugged him in the lineup not near 100% and he still picked one off.

Long story short, Woodson is fine. PLEASE, PLEASE test him.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Harris at #1 it is only to be expected to go at Woodson. Not much is going Harris' way with or without Woodson.

Woodson will be on the #2 receiver which I think he will be able to handle and would take him in that situation over most other corners any day.

It would be much more difficult for him to be somewhere that required him to step in as the #1 corner. Yes, he will get tested, but I don't see there being a lot of room between him and a #2 receiver.

Don't expect seeing him get beat to often, if he's physically back and ready to play, it's not going to happen much.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hell yeah, joker. i HOPE they test him. he'll pick it off and cram it up their *** for 6 points. I'm PSYCHED about woodson. maybe he plays #1 CB, maybe he'll be our #2... regardless, he makes our defense a whole lot better. i believe he is what Favre reffered to as a "Reggie White type of FA pickup". immediate impact. Fu©k dude. test him, and he'll test what it's like to run back an interception, then they can test him again on the very next play.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
hell yeah, joker. i HOPE they test him. he'll pick it off and cram it up their *** for 6 points. I'm PSYCHED about woodson. maybe he plays #1 CB, maybe he'll be our #2... regardless, he makes our defense a whole lot better. i believe he is what Favre reffered to as a "Reggie White type of FA pickup". immediate impact. Fu©k dude. test him, and he'll test what it's like to run back an interception, then they can test him again on the very next play.

are you trying to get me pumped up!

WHOOO!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the injury The Raiders were using Woodson at safety more last year because he is versatile athlete and can match up with any type of receiver. Also, by playing safety, it freed him up to roam the field in search of where he can help out best, run support, pass coverage or blitzing the quarterback.

It was working out well before he got hurt. Nnamdi Asomugha and Fabian Washington were doing well with him at safety.

If they do test Woodson next year... Good. Bring it on! He can match up against a team's top receiver, so their second reciever will not be a challenge.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:
For the record, he's in training camp and will play four preseason games. Something tells me that's enough time to readjust to this mysterious cornerback position that seems to allude memories of those with injuries.

IMO that is dead on! I mean, if it were mid season, and he came back from missing so much time, I could definitely see some rust there. But considering he already has one mini-camp and will have OTAs plus a full training camp and pre-season games...I can't see why he wouldn't be up to speed.

And let's not forget he's healty...well, his facsimile thereof. If anything worries me it's his injury issues, but the fact that he'll be rusty doesn't worry me in the slightest. Just my two cents.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a difference in covering players at half pace and covering players who are fighting for a roster spot in preseason than covering players who are proven and tear it up on a consistent basis. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see MM keep Woodson out of some preseason games. It’s June right now. Let’s see how he is in July before with start with the reincarnation of Charles Woodson. He’ll be a good player. He is a good player. He’ll take time to get his groove back. Your expecting him to come in and be this shut down CB right away is pure bias. This guy is simply saying Woodson is going to get picked on right away.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, silly me. I forgot that every player in the NFL who goes through training camp and pre season CAN NOT for the life of them find their ***e$ with both hands because they've been going at half pace for a month.

Hmmmm, "reincarnation of Charles Woodson"?...nope, never said it.

Hmmmm, "your expecting"?...you guessed it, never said that either.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i knew it was only a matter of time before the joker came in and got some people straight on his boy.

im pumped about woodson. and harris for that matter... i say we dont even call it cb 1 and cb 2... lets just have cb... try and put who you wont on them, throw at whichever one you want. they are gonna make the whole defense look better i think.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauEast said:
You're right, silly me. I forgot that every player in the NFL who goes through training camp and pre season CAN NOT for the life of them find their ***e$ with both hands because they've been going at half pace for a month.

Hmmmm, "reincarnation of Charles Woodson"?...nope, never said it.

Hmmmm, "your expecting"?...you guessed it, never said that either.

Calm down and bring some facts and I wasn't directing the post to you.... Charles Woodson hasn't played an entire season since 2001. There is a lot of rust there. One mini camp doesn't get you ready for the NFL Season. Training camp doesn't always get you fully ready. You get prepared but you don't get in your groove right away, especially after missing the amount of time he has. Players come out with rust sometimes when they do play a full season once in a while.

Now we're talking about a guy who hasn't had a full year since 2001 and has 6 INT's in 4 years (mostly because of the lack of playing because of injuries). There will be rust. That is what I'm saying. That is what that article is mainly saying. If your the opposing team, Do you pick on the player who could be rusty or the player who has played the last couple of season healthy and has played well. Woodson will be tested early on and likely will give up some plays here and there. That by no means, says he's a bad player.

thetombradyhater said it best...

woodson isn't as bad as this guy is making him seem, but i do not think woodson will be quite as good as some packers fans expect. He will be a good no. 2 anyway.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think at the very least, he would be the best #2 in the league. granted, i'm not offering any facts (specific players), but woodson/harris = trouble for opposing team

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i think at the very least, he would be the best #2 in the league. granted, i'm not offering any facts (specific players), but woodson/harris = trouble for opposing team

Despite missing playing time of late, he is one of the premiere corners in the league. And oh yeah, Al Harris ain't too bad either lol.
From my point of view, we got one of the best secondaries in the league. It's good to be able to throw out Collins, Manuel, Harris, and Woodson.
I can't wait to see this defense knock some people around!

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, porky. I don't agree, but I understand. My bad for lashing out when I thought your post was directed at me.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky----You act as if his 'rust' has a residual effect. You use 2001 as your starting point, saying that since he has been injured each year, he's had additional layers of rust accumulating since then, diminishing his value at corner, correct?

Do you know how stupid that sounds? You make it seem like he is a shadow of his former self, like a damn #3 corner at best, a literal rusty statue out there, for at least the first few games. You also act like it is all his fault that he has very little interceptions. There is SO much more involved at the cornerback/free safety position than attaining interceptions...not to mention the fact that the Raiders' defensive schemes have netted them a grand total of FIVE last year and NINE in 2004. Do you know how horrible that is? And what's worse, Woodson has 2 of those 14 picks after having missed over 13 games.

Not to mention the fact teams shy away from him.

ESPECIALLY when Philip Buchanon and Nnamdi Asomugha have been the bookend corners.

Additionally, being moved around like a damn pinball in that defense, plugging him in at every position in the back seven.

I really don't want to get much further into this, especially since some Wilcox ****** is the one who started this rampage, but I can go all day, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts