woodson broken collar bone

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an opportunity for our secondary to grow, and see what our secondary post-woodson will look like.

Agreed. My post from last week talking about the future...well, the future came sooner than I thought. This might actually end Woodson's career in GB. 6 weeks minimum. What if his replacements play balls to the wall?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have seen of Mcmillian so far I trust him to step up and replace Woodson. We need Raji back this week now

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is certainly terrible news. Definitely a blow, but is it really going to change the entire dynamic of the defense? I don't think so. As a prior poster pointed out it's going to be his football knowledge we miss most, not necessarily his diminishing skill sets. Woodson has lost a step and there's no doubt about it, and his fragility is an age factor. He is also a land mine when it comes to penalties with his aggressive play style, so him off the field might save some penalty yardage.

Anyone who replaces him will likely be a better skilled player, but the lack of awareness and intuition will have to be monitored closely--routes he might naturally jump at will likely not be pursued by his younger replacement.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Oh HAI guise don't worry. Remember 2010?

We can totally go all the way without one of our best players. It's not like we're having trouble covering receivers or anything.

:cautious:

H

HardRightEdge

Jeez, how many times do we have to say, "next man up"? The good news is the youngster in the D-backfield are playing very well.

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C-Wood has always been one of my atheletes of all time. His presence on the field will be missed but he will be there to get the locker ready to play...

I have faith in our new cast of characters in the secondary.....

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My wife reminded me that yesterday I mentioned why was Rodgers with their last series...

Then I said same thing when they showed Clay going in on defense. No need for them to be in at all..Now we are down a guy

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
worst thing you can say this season! easy like the colts game?

If we can not beat the Jags at home with MJD out and either Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne at q/b..... then we dont deserve to go to the playoffs...

Same with the Cards..Their defense is not to bad..But they have no real good q/b..They are down to their 3rd or 4th string rb...no real te either

Colts at least had half way decent q/b and good wr's

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wonder why Woodson had to be on the field with less than 3 minutes to play and we are up by 14. But it could have happened at any time. You can probably pencil in losses to Detroit, NY, and maybe even Minnesota in that 3 game stretch unless ARod can put up 35 points or so. I can see Manning sending Victor Cruz long every play and Stafford doing the same for Megatron. Against the Vikings we will stack the box to slow up Peterson and it will put our safeties in single coverage long as well.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1- "Woodson made of glass"..... he's been very durable for us, but they say once you break that collar bone, it's easier to break it again. We're lucky he lasted all of last year then. Remember, he was always injured in Oakland, but for us, he's been REMARKABLY durable, luckily.

#2- The timing of this could not be any better.
As long as it's 6 weeks or close to it. Next 3 weeks: vs crappy Jags. vs crappy (now) Cardinals. bye.
Yes the 3 weeks after that are tough & important: at Detroit, at NYG, vs Minny.
Then it's the Lions and Bears after that.

It's good we have 2 guys at safety in MD Jennings and Jeron McMillian, who have been playing plenty back there at safety. I really wish we had Collins though dammit. What bad luck.

I want to know who's the next safety after those 3... in case Morgan Burnett gets hurt. Knowing our luck, we can't be surprised if that happens. And don't blame me if it happens ;)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Adam Schefter said he broke his other collarbone, not the same one he broke in the Super Bowl. He also said it's not believed to be overly serious.

He said maybe a month? Least I thought that is what I heard on MNF just now

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for others to step up. Woodson was always my favorite on defense, but age has started to catch up a little bit. No doubt it was Woodson that helped the team in a big way turn the corner in 2010 and win it all.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not doom and gloom with him out of the lineup. The bottom line is Woodson is not the same player we've been accustomed to over these past seven years. He has 1 pick, 1 FF (not recovered b/c we somehow, inexplicably, have yet to recover a fumble), and 1.5 sacks. Even still, he hasn't passed the eye test much during the games. He's been called for more holdings and pass intereferences than ever before. I think much of that has to do with his slowing down game.

With the quartet of Tramon, Shields, Hayward, and House, I don't think the Packers could be in better position to weather the next six weeks. Frankly, it's fitting Hayward will get Woody's playing time given Haywards playmaking ways so far. And McMillian and Jennings have already gotten plenty of experience manning the safety spot in sub-packages. See here for more on the fill-ins: http://wp.me/p29VCs-ca

The biggest unknown will be how his loss will affect pre-snap alignment. It will be incumbent upon Tramon, Burnett, and probably even Hawk to make sure the pre-snap adjustments are made. And as others have stated, Woodson should still be on the sideline coaching up the youngsters during games.

It sucks we'll be without Woodson. But, I'm not overly worried... yet. Just cautiously optimistic in my belief the youngsters are ready.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

In England we used to have a comedy programme called Dad`s Army, in which one characters catchphrase was "We`re doomed, we`re all doomed". Jeez it is true......"We`re doomed !" without Woodson we are well and truly shafted !!!!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's not doom and gloom with him out of the lineup. The bottom line is Woodson is not the same player we've been accustomed to over these past seven years. He has 1 pick, 1 FF (not recovered b/c we somehow, inexplicably, have yet to recover a fumble), and 1.5 sacks. Even still, he hasn't passed the eye test much during the games. He's been called for more holdings and pass intereferences than ever before. I think much of that has to do with his slowing down game.

With the quartet of Tramon, Shields, Hayward, and House, I don't think the Packers could be in better position to weather the next six weeks. Frankly, it's fitting Hayward will get Woody's playing time given Haywards playmaking ways so far. And McMillian and Jennings have already gotten plenty of experience manning the safety spot in sub-packages. See here for more on the fill-ins: http://wp.me/p29VCs-ca

The biggest unknown will be how his loss will affect pre-snap alignment. It will be incumbent upon Tramon, Burnett, and probably even Hawk to make sure the pre-snap adjustments are made. And as others have stated, Woodson should still be on the sideline coaching up the youngsters during games.

It sucks we'll be without Woodson. But, I'm not overly worried... yet. Just cautiously optimistic in my belief the youngsters are ready.
I totally agree that Woodson isn`t quite the athlete he used to be, but he is the heart and brain of the defense. This is one hell of a blow....IMO

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts