Woodson an odd target for Thompson

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson an odd target for Thompson
Steve Lawrence
PackerReport.com Apr 2, 2006

The idea of Charles Woodson suiting up for the Green Bay Packers this fall is tantalizing. Then, you remember Woodson’s injury history and likely price tag and you ask yourself, “Why is Ted Thompson interested in him?â€

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that wasa good,funny read.
------------------
Al Harris is as superb as Ahmad Carroll has been an immature underachiever.

lololo

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing myself. It does seem odd that Thompson would go after Woodson. He's the kind of guy who, if you signed him to a multi-year contract, would hold out for more money if he had a good first season. At best, he could be a one-year fix, and that's not consistent with what Thompson has been trying to do as GM.

I don't think we should give up on Carroll yet anyway. I thought Carroll improved quite a bit toward the end of last year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT didnt sign him to a 50 mil contract yet...

im not an AC hater, im an AC observer.

OP
OP
G

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
that wasa good,funny read.
------------------
Al Harris is as superb as Ahmad Carroll has been an immature underachiever.

lololo

I don't see the humor in that. It's true. Al Harris is really good and Ahmad Carroll isn't playing well at all. Maybe you read it wrong. :-?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, i read it right.

if it said "Al harris is as superb as Carroll is an all star" then it woulda been wrong.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to PFT, Woodson probably won't get big long term money, but more likely a deal that looks good on paper but is really a one year deal. I don't think that is too bad even if its only one year, the young CBs can develop and we will have a pretty solid CB until the young ones are ready to take the 2 spot.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
According to PFT, Woodson probably won't get big long term money, but more likely a deal that looks good on paper but is really a one year deal.

exactly, dont be surprised if it is a 3 year, 14 million dollar contract or something.

the thing to look at is the bonus, and the first year (maybe 2 if we wanna keep the person)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would still rather have someone else. i think the acquisition of woodson is a mixed bag. it is nearly a universal truth that those who play for green bay need to be moldable, to fit the packer style. we play a particular brand of football and i don't think woodson would fit. flame me now.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, id like Plummer more, or a longterm serious deal with Manning jr or something

but it looks like ted wants to build carroll and hawkins into CBs for GB. carroll is udner contract till 2009, so if he can get good...we can use him till 2009 real cheap.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that would be the only conceivable reason i would see to pick up woodson. for 2-3 years until woodson can teach carrol how to play football.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no matter what happens (barring drastically overpaying him) I don't think you can fault TT for whatever he does in this situation...def. a coin flip call with the injuries/age vs. seting a precedent that you're willing to win or pay talented players.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
no matter what happens (barring drastically overpaying him) I don't think you can fault TT for whatever he does in this situation...def. a coin flip call with the injuries/age vs. seting a precedent that you're willing to win or pay talented players.

Well that's certainly taking a stand! Sounds like you're making excuses fotr TT before he even talks to the guy (IF, he ever talks to the guy).

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
musccy said:

Well that's certainly taking a stand! Sounds like you're making excuses fotr TT before he even talks to the guy (IF, he ever talks to the guy).

Teddy will probably be "out of town" when he visits.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point, DePack, is that this reminds me of what P@ck66 used to be like when criticizing MS 4 years later. Joe Johnson, for example, made a lot of sense at the time, but it looked like a dumb move when you overlook the circumstances of the moment.

This is the same type of situation...if we sign him and he busts, or we pass, and he does great things in Tampa, I don't think you can hold that against TT...there are a lot of good reasons to go either way right now.

Staff online

Latest posts