Woodson agrees to terms with the packers

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to re-itterate, i'm fired up

not only do we get a heckuva #2 corner but...the draft-nik I am this gives us flexibility with our draft picks, I thought corner needed to be addressed, but Harris, Woodson, and Carroll given the chance to flourish at nickelback, no pressure, is a great situation, a lot of CB's have worked their way up from nickelback, now Caroll can, I still know that kid has all the intangibles, wow this is a great 24 hour span as a packers' fan

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ESPN said:
The agreement is a seven-year deal that can be worth as much as $52 million, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

I haven't been this excited over a Packer signing since we signed Desmond Howard.

edit, ha both former Wolverines! haha nice

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will he still be Number 24 on the pack, he could no one currently holds that number.

Collins Manuel/Roman

Woodson Carroll Hawkins Harris

Hawk (hopefully) Barnett Taylor (or other Rookies barnett also possible could move to outside to further use his speed)

KGB Pickett Cole/Jenkins Kampman

I like the defense im seeing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Plus other possible rookies we could land who could help us)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
He has only had 7 INT's from 01-05. That seems low.

Very, very true. It is very low.

Now to stick up for him.

Teams learned not to throw it at him resulting in less INT's and he's also been injured. Probably safe to mention he disliked Oakland immediately after Gruden left.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the seven-year contract agreed to with the Green Bay Packers by CB Charles Woodson is worth upwards of $52 million. ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports Woodson will make $10.5 million in the first year of the deal and $18 million over the first three years. Woodson will also receive a $3 million bonus if he is selected to the Pro Bowl in two of the first three years of the contract.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
opps already posted, just a bit excited

was this

Woodson's choice of Green Bay was directly related to Brett Favre 's decision to return to the Packers for at least one more season. Woodson's agent, Carl Poston, said Favre's comeback was a "key component" in his client's decision.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I think he will be playing safety by week 6. Collins and Woodson at safety. Harris and Carroll at corner with Hawkins and Manuel providing the depth. Like I said...you can never have enough good DB's.

Why would we bench a guy we just signed (Manuel), and also, why would we start Carroll back when we paid all this money for Woodson? Your post doesn't make too much sense.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the people on here who aren't high on this signing keep reffering to the 'salary cap hit'. i guarantee you, there is no salary cap hit. this signing solved a salary cap problem! ****IN A, WHAT A DAY!

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
4thand26 said:

Now to stick up for him.

Teams learned not to throw it at him resulting in less INT's and he's also been injured. Probably safe to mention he disliked Oakland immediately after Gruden left.

Could be true. I have not seen Woodson play. I would agree that teams don't throw at Harris, so his INT numbers are down. If that is true about Woodson, there would be nowhere to throw for opposing teams. That could be a good thing for GB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:
4thand26 said:

Now to stick up for him.

Could be true. I have not seen Woodson play. I would agree that teams don't throw at Harris, so his INT numbers are down. If that is true about Woodson, there would be nowhere to throw for opposing teams. That could be a good thing for GB.

They could always throw towards Carroll :(

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
4thand26 said:
Zero2Cool said:
4thand26 said:

Now to stick up for him.

They could always throw towards Carroll :(

He's to busy holding to INT.

OP
OP
D

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Woodson to see action on offense
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:16:41 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports according to agent Carl Poston, CB Charles Woodson picked the Green Bay Packers over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because head coach Mike McCarthy agreed to let him play on offense as well as play cornerback. "I think the fact that Brett committed to another year, that was one thing Charles was interested in," Poston said. "Another point is that they agreed to let Charles play offense as well as defense. That proved to be very beneficial to them. They wouldn't let him do that in Oakland." According to Poston, the Buccaneers, coached by Jon Gruden, weren't interested in allowing him to play on offense and wanted him to play safety. McCarthy said that when Woodson visited the Packers April 3, he told Woodson that he would be able to play some wide receiver if he signed in Green Bay. Woodson is expected to start at cornerback opposite CB Al Harris.

Anyone else read this? I hope we dont because he will have a higher chance of getting injured if we do.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
rundemc said:
the sad thing is woodson might be an upgrade over ferguson at receiver

you don't have to be nice with the 'might'

he WOULD be
You guys are pretty ******* a guy that was just about decapitated. I think Ferguson's biggest problem last year was hearing the imaginary footsteps of Donald Darius. Maybe he has worked it out, and maybe not. I agree though that he had a golden opportunity last year and did not step up. I would at least give him another training camp.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
smlutz said:
DePack said:
I think he will be playing safety by week 6. Collins and Woodson at safety. Harris and Carroll at corner with Hawkins and Manuel providing the depth. Like I said...you can never have enough good DB's.

Why would we bench a guy we just signed (Manuel), and also, why would we start Carroll back when we paid all this money for Woodson? Your post doesn't make too much sense.

No...it just doesn't make too much sense to people who don't know football. Not every free agent we signed will be starters. Take your time....think about that ok. Got it? I'm sure TT and MM will give Manuel a chance to start but if you read my post closely it says by week 6....... right before the word Collins. See it? In my opinion, by week 6 the scenario I laid out will happen. Also I said Woodson will start....at SAFETY by week 6.

So in retrospect your question "doesn't make too much sense". I never suggested that we would sit Woodson. I just don't see Manuel being the answer at safety.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 million over 3 years with no signing bonus.
The money is up front.
The Packers face no cap consequences for cutting him early. If they need/want to cut him.

Carroll will either rise to the challenge or he whine complain and demand to be traded. I do not like much of this draft for CB's so this is a good move.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
ahaug82 said:
10.5 mil in the 1st year better not be correct. I know we have lots of cap room, but DAMN. :shock: He's not that good is he? I guess I'll wait for the real contract specifics to come out, but either way we got a great veteran CB. I can't wait to see this defense out on the field!

By the way, it's kind of a strange coincidence that a big name FA signs the day that Favre announced he'll return for another year. Try to tell me that Favre didn't affect free agency. Do it.

I actually like that if 10.5 is eaten this year. We have to spend it....can't carry it over, so this takes some of the future burden off the cap.

Me too, you have it, you MUST spent it, so take a risk and go for it... I would have been happier with TO or Lavar, but Woodson is much more better that noone...And it will place a firecraker in Carrolls but so either he mgrows up and performs better or someone might light it up !!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
Zero2Cool said:
rundemc said:

he WOULD be
You guys are pretty ******* a guy that was just about decapitated. I think Ferguson's biggest problem last year was hearing the imaginary footsteps of Donald Darius. Maybe he has worked it out, and maybe not. I agree though that he had a golden opportunity last year and did not step up. I would at least give him another training camp.

Donovan Darius and Ferguson wasn't that hot of a receiver before the hit. He's an average at best WR and a special team stud.

He short armed wayyy to many passes and ran bad routes.

if you have any tape from last year... watch them an focus on Ferguson (unless he was injured for that game... likely)

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DakotaT said:
Zero2Cool said:
rundemc said:

he WOULD be

Donovan Darius and Ferguson wasn't that hot of a receiver before the hit. He's an average at best WR and a special team stud.

He short armed wayyy to many passes and ran bad routes.

if you have any tape from last year... watch them an focus on Ferguson (unless he was injured for that game... likely)
ferguson just doesnt look like he knows what hes doing out there

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts