1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Woods will have season ending ACL surgery

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by IronMan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Link

Tiger Woods has decided to have surgery on his left knee, which will end his 2008 season.

Woods said on his Web site that he will have surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament. He also wrote that he needs time to rehabilitate a double stress fracture of his left tibia, which he said was discovered just before the Memorial Tournament in late May.

And he revealed that he originally ruptured the ACL in 2007 while running at his home in Orlando after the British Open. He said he decided not to have surgery at that point, and he went on to win five of the next six events he entered (through his Target World Challenge in December).

Woods said no date has been determined for the surgery, which will be the third in five years on Woods' left knee.

Woods said doctors have assured him the outlook is positive. Doctors have told him that the stress fractures will heal with time.

"I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week, and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time. I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open," Woods said on his Web site. "Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."
    Woods was last seen at Torrey Pines with the U.S. Open championship trophy in hand. He played 91 holes last week, finally beating Rocco Mediate in a playoff to win his 14th major, four behind Jack Nicklaus' record of 18.

"While I am obviously disappointed to have to miss the remainder of the season, I have to do the right thing for my long-term health and look forward to returning to competitive golf when my doctors agree that my knee is sufficiently healthy," Woods wrote on his Web site. "My doctors assure me with the proper rehabilitation and training, the knee will be strong and there will be no long-term effects."

Woods had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on April 15, two days after he finished second in the Masters in April.

Woods had committed to playing in next week's Buick Invitational. He hosts the AT&T National the week after that, at Congressional Country Club in Washington, D.C.

Woods played only seven events worldwide this year and won five of them. He had been scheduled to play in the British Open in July and defend his PGA Championship title in August. He had never missed a major championship in his career.
    "For an athlete as talented and competitive as Tiger Woods, taking the rest of the season off must have been an incredibly difficult, yet necessary decision, one that we understand and support completely," PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement. "The fact that he needs additional surgery only makes his performance and victory at last week's U.S. Open all the more impressive. First and foremost, our concern -- as it would be for any of our players facing surgery or illness -- is for Tiger's health and overall well-being, both on and off the golf course. We wish him the best toward a speedy recovery."

Woods also will not be available for the Ryder Cup in September at Valhalla, just outside Louisville, Ky. According to the PGA of America, the ninth player in the U.S. standings through the PGA Championship will qualify for the U.S. team. By winning the U.S. Open, Woods mathematically clinched a spot on the team.

Woods is ultraprivate with his health and personal life, never more so than at the U.S. Open. He never mentioned the torn ACL or the stress fracture, and wouldn't say how he was treating his knee, only that it was more sore as the week went on.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.

2. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bad news for me as I've got a ticket for the 19th of July for the British Open but in a way it should make it wide open,

At least the crowd will bemore dispersed around the course.

A Brit might stand a chance of winning it this year!!!!!!!!!!!

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    That sucks you won't get to see Tiger. It should be pretty fun anyway though.

4. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    That's amazing about the fracture.

5. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I was at the open on Wed, Frid, Sun, and Mon. When I get a few more moments, I will share my experience...It was amazing!

6. Mortfini

Mortfini Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    it sucks that u wont see tiger Flep but its good news for Us euros when the ryder cup comes around

i had a small gamble on Rocko to win in the playoff aganist tiger cos of his bad knee

7. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dayum Tripp. Hurry up with that report. Too bad cameras weren't allowed!

Funny story - I don't watch too much golf, at least not straight through. Used to play a little but haven't in awhile. Took Heather to the range one time and just couldn't manage to impress some of the course etiquette on her (shhhhh etc.)

She's not a golf nut for sure but will kind of pay attention when Tiger is playing - and especially when he's in the hunt. Monday she was off and was emailing me updates at work!

Amazing that it turns out he had the torn ACL and a broken leg.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Little know fact: The day before the tournament, Tiger Woods had some of Brett Favre's blood injected into himself.........he said it was the only way he could play through his injuries. :wink: :lol:

9. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, must be all that buildup of Vicodin.

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Whatever works! :wink: