Wonder what the gameplan is for Vernon Davis.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have a single backer who can cover him so my guess would be seeing a ton of nickle package with maybe Hyde chasing him around. This will hurt defending the run but something's gotta give right? Capers could play zone but Davis is just as effective vs zone as he is man. Then you have Crabtree and Boldin to deal with. I don't think neither Boldin or Crabtree are as good as Marshall and Jeffrey but this defense made Boldin look like Jerry Rice in the 1st meeting..and we doubled the guy! i have no idea what to expect from our safties because they have been suspect all year but this game Burnett and whoever else is back there can't be caught out of position or else Davis will be running free behind them all game.

This game will come down to Rodgers and scoring point's. I think the Packers will have to score early and often and pray the defense can take the ball away and provide solid field position in special teams. I hope the red zone woes don't show up this week. MM needs to be on his A game as well. No passes on 3rd and 1 and running that dang sweep against san frans fast linebackers won't work so throw that out the window to.

Last edited:

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have an adequate pass rush we won't have to rely so much on scheming for individual receivers, and honestly we have more than Davis to worry about. I think Capers needs to plan for how to contain and get to Kaep, and play a lot of man-to-man. If we play too much zone we're getting lit up all day.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the offence can start moving the ball against the Niners, and score consistently, and if the D can get one or two key stops, then the packers have a chance.

But if they sell out to stop just one aspect of the Niners offence, it could be a long day. Stopping the run is important but they cannot let Boldin and Davis destroy them like the first game.

glad the packers made the playoffs, but I just don't see them winning this game. Physical teams own the packers. They just don't seem tough enough to win these types of games. I hope i am wrong.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the offence can start moving the ball against the Niners, and score consistently, and if the D can get one or two key stops, then the packers have a chance.

But if they sell out to stop just one aspect of the Niners offence, it could be a long day. Stopping the run is important but they cannot let Boldin and Davis destroy them like the first game.

glad the packers made the playoffs, but I just don't see them winning this game. Physical teams own the packers. They just don't seem tough enough to win these types of games. I hope i am wrong.

Most years I would agree, but we have a whole new aspect of physicality with our own run game in Lacy now, and if he can mow down some defenders while gaining yards out of it then that changes the whole dynamic of how the 49'ers look at our team. Before we were a paper tiger, but now we have that additional dimension teams have to respect.

I still think the 49'ers have a more physical team than we do, but if we can run the ball and if our O-line plays a decent game we'll get our chance.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boldin worries me the most. The guy destroyed us in our first game. Not only that, but the guy is clutch. It seems like every time they need a big first down, he is the one with the catch and conversion. I think we match up Shields on Boldin and maybe see how Tramon can do with Crabtree. I'm not sure what to do about Davis, gotta mix it up I suppose.

What worries me a lot too is the run game. The 49ers struggled running the ball on us in week 1, way back when our defense was playing the run well, we held Gore to 44 yards on 21 attempts. Needless to say, our run defense has deteriorated significantly since then. I really don't think we can stop their offense, just gotta slow it down enough to give the offense a chance.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We don't have a single backer who can cover him so my guess would be seeing a ton of nickle package with maybe Hyde chasing him around. .

Initial rumor I heard was that Hyde MAY shadow Kaepernick

The person said they shouldnt use a LB to shadow him as they dont have the speed

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most years I would agree, but we have a whole new aspect of physicality with our own run game in Lacy now, and if he can mow down some defenders while gaining yards out of it then that changes the whole dynamic of how the 49'ers look at our team. Before we were a paper tiger, but now we have that additional dimension teams have to respect.

I still think the 49'ers have a more physical team than we do, but if we can run the ball and if our O-line plays a decent game we'll get our chance.
Don't forget, Lacey will be playing at maybe 60% and will probably be held at under 15 carries.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Initial rumor I heard was that Hyde MAY shadow Kaepernick

The person said they shouldnt use a LB to shadow him as they dont have the speed

Well there goes the neighborhood because we don't have a backer fast enough or quick enough to shadow Kap or Davis. This is exactly why i was saying this team needs to get faster for several years now.

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget, Lacey will be playing at maybe 60% and will probably be held at under 15 carries.

Why do you think he will be held under 15 carries? He had 21 carries against the Bears. I think his carry amount is going to largely depend on how successful they are running the ball early in the game, and honestly I'd say Lacy is at more than 60% right now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why do you think he will be held under 15 carries? He had 21 carries against the Bears. I think his carry amount is going to largely depend on how successful they are running the ball early in the game, and honestly I'd say Lacy is at more than 60% right now.

Starks will get some too

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make no mistake, Lacey is hurting.
He can't cut off his right leg, that was obvious to me in the Bears game.
I think MM is smart enough not to ride a lame horse.
Starks is healthy (knock on wood) and running well. I think he may get at least half the carries.
JMO.:)

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how we look against their run defense. I will be sold if we run it like we have been all year that they need to re-sign Starks some way.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy (not Lacey... we need to be able to at least spell our own players' names, I think) is reportedly feeling better after the Bears game than he did after the Steelers game. I think he'll be fine and much closer to 80 or 90%.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy (not Lacey... we need to be able to at least spell our own players' names, I think) is reportedly feeling better after the Bears game than he did after the Steelers game. I think he'll be fine and much closer to 80 or 90%.
I stand appropriately rebuked:)!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lacy's average per carry was terrible against the Bears, one of the worst run defenses in NFL history. The guy is hurting. Starks was actually running better (his average was very high) but McCarthy, for whatever reason, seems to want to run Lacy into the ground. I certainly hope that Lacy is feeling better for this week's game but he could have used more of a rest against the Bears.

Members online