1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder what everyone thinks of Barrington being only ILB in dime?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Eli Haugen, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I seem to remember getting slammed repeatedly for saying we would play 3 down linemen in the dime, if we had the talent...... Now that we have the talent to play 3 Dlinemen, we see that I was right (at the begining of OTA's at least). Barrington was the only ILB on the field for the dime. Mathews played OLB.

If you soak your crow in salt , it gets rid of the gamey taste. :)

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    Geez, the dime package features only one linebacker off the line of scrimmage. That doesn´t mean the Packers play three defensive lineman on the LOS in that scheme. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    what happened on the field wimm? Im not talking about some obscure "what if" to prove me wrong...

4. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    Please, get a clue or don´t talk about things you obviously have no idea about. The dime package features four guys (mostly a combination of defensive linemen and outside linebackers) on the line of scrimmage, a single inside linebacker off the LOS and six defensive backs.

Barrington being the only ILB in the dime package doesn´t have anything to do with the combination the Packers use on the LOS in that scheme.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Who was on the field for the dime package???

6. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    How does 1 ILB mean 3 DL in the dime formation?
    2 outside CB
    2 slot CB
    2 S
    2 OLB
    1 ILB
    ... that leaves room for 2 DL

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Who was
    on the field during OTA's when Barrington was the only ILB. Thats my question.
    ? anyone know?
    I know you can build a defense with only 2 Dlinemen and 1 ILB and call it a dime. Its what we have been doing. I want to know who was on the field now.

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    I wasn´t there for yesterday´s OTA. But I would expect the Packers lined up with Matthews, Peppers, Daniels and another DL on the LOS, Barrington as the only ILB and six defensive backs in the dime package.

9. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Wasnt the dime 1 D-lineman last year? and "Peppers is basicly playing DE in this package"?

10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    The Packers played different variations of a dime package last season. Most of the time they lined up with two DL and two OLBs, occasionally their NASCAR packages didn't feature any DL.

The number of DL/OLB doesn't matter though for a package to be considered a dime scheme though, it's the amount of defensive backs (exactly six) that's determining.

11. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Ok. lets defuse this a bit. I may not be 100% right. But damn it im not wrong! :) truce?

12. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,793
    it's an OTA, what's the big deal? and I"m not even sure what you're crowing about??? so barrington was at ILB in OTA's, what's the revelation?

13. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    Huh, I guess it has been awhile since your last "look at me, I was right about something" thread. This one didn't work out very well though. Back to the drawing board.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    My point is last year we had 2 ILBs and 1 D-lineman in this exact package. I got a jabbed by many for saying if we had the tallent we would play more D-linemen..... Right now Barrington is the only ilb in the Dime package. Meaning 1 less LB and 1 extra D-lineman..... Our D-linemen are good enough to run the 3-4 finally!!!

15. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I dont have the right to point out that the actual greenbay packers are doing what i said they should do. and you ALL were wrong. take it like a man and admit it. Our 3-4 couldnt be a 3-4 because we didnt have the tallent. Capers isnt a bad coach because he didnt have tallent to play. Raji is a huge difference maker, but disapears without help... All these points are on test mode this year.

If it fails, I will eat crow. I can admit when im wrong.

16. Snoops

Snoops Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +59
    Lets see the PSYCHO package again!

17. Luca

Luca Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +127
    Isn't that the "Bat package" in which the used Datone as lone D-lineman, and used 3 rushing outside linebackers? When I remember correctly we used such a package early in the year? I can't remember that I've seen it since though. They probably stopped using it because it didn't work? (or I didn't notice that they used it?)

18. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    You're completely wrong.

There's not a single team in the NFL running a dime package (six DBs) with two inside linebackers. The Packers mostly use two ILBs in their nickel scheme (five DBs).

19. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    Except GB who played 1 D-lineman, and 4 LBs...

Point is we are back to running a normal 3-4 and not a 2-4.... You all got so wrapped up in what we were doing, you literally mislabeled it as a 3-4. Im debating what a 3-4 is and you guys say thats not what we do! DAAAAA! We didnt run a 3-4...

I have to bake my wife a gluten free cake. I will be back to dispute every naysayer...

20. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    Incorrect, it's a package that they ran but the typical Dime was 6DB, 1ILB, 2OLB, 2 DL
    That isn't at all what that means. Heck against Seattle they ran a package with 0 ILB and still only kept 2 DL, they just replaced Brad Jones (the lone ILB) with Jarrett Bush and had 7 DBs

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,635
    There's really no point in discussing the topic any further as you don't understand or can't comprehend what you read about the basic principles of the Packers defensive schemes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Okay. This going nowhere other than a slanging match. Time to pull the plug. Sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.