Wolf makes Packers Ring of Honor

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf deserves to be in the pro football hall of fame. The 90's are considered the greatest decade of football by many and Wolf built a Super Bowl team in that decade and made the two biggest moves of that decade. Trading for Brett Favre and signing Reggie White.

This hopefully is just another honor of many to come for Ron Wolf.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a very bad precedent to be setting.

I am completely against it. The man is not qualified.

The Packers have always required that entrance into the NFL Hall of Fame (now wattered down to Pro Football Hall of Fame) as a requirement to have the name up.

What ever happened to standards??
Some day are they going to put someone some nobody just to lessen the amount of a lawsuit settlement like the low life vikings??

This continual Liberalism where standards, grades, and achievement mean nothing so that the unachievers can have "self esteem" and achievers are punished for doing more than others is so very wrong.

Open games to the public so you don't discriminate against those who didn't buy tickets. Expand the roster to 100 so those who are cut don't feel bad.

Lambeau field names used to mean something. Tradition and standards are special at Lambeau. Now it means a lot less. It's just common like a penny found in the gutter anymore. No different than the lesser names at other venues. This is so hurtful to the franchise and public relations.

There are many types of rememberannces that can be erected to Ron Wolf. He has not earned the honor of having his name memorialized within Lambeau field.

It is wrong, wrong, wrong!!
It just makes my stomach turn and flesh crawl that Harlan would ruin and deface Lambeau Field this way.
Disgusting.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very bad precedent to be setting.

I am completely against it. The man is not qualified.

The Packers have always required that entrance into the NFL Hall of Fame (now wattered down to Pro Football Hall of Fame) as a requirement to have the name up.

What ever happened to standards??
Some day are they going to put someone some nobody just to lessen the amount of a lawsuit settlement like the low life vikings??

This continual Liberalism where standards, grades, and achievement mean nothing so that the unachievers can have "self esteem" and achievers are punished for doing more than others is so very wrong.

Open games to the public so you don't discriminate against those who didn't buy tickets. Expand the roster to 100 so those who are cut don't feel bad.

Lambeau field names used to mean something. Tradition and standards are special at Lambeau. Now it means a lot less. It's just common like a penny found in the gutter anymore. No different than the lesser names at other venues. This is so hurtful to the franchise and public relations.

There are many types of rememberannces that can be erected to Ron Wolf. He has not earned the honor of having his name memorialized within Lambeau field.

It is wrong, wrong, wrong!!
It just makes my stomach turn and flesh crawl that Harlan would ruin and deface Lambeau Field this way.
Disgusting.

How do you REALLY feel?? :jumpsmile:

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Cali I thought you were being sarcastic. How can you say they're lowering standards by allowing one of the greatest GM's in the ring. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with a greater eye for talent then Wolf. Not very often can one man be singlehandedly be credited for resurecting a franchise. Being able to bring people in and delagate may not put your name in the news but it's one of the greatest assets a GM can have. Other then Favre and White he also brought in Holmgren who probably without him who knows what would of become of Brett. If you say Wolf shouldn't be allowed in I guess it means basically GM's shouldn't be allowed in cause I don't know of a GM more worthy.
Cheers to Ron Wolf

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Cali I thought you were being sarcastic. How can you say they're lowering standards by allowing one of the greatest GM's in the ring.

One must be inducted as a member of the NFL or Pro Football Hall of fame before there name is placed in Lambeau Field.
Please re-read my orignal post.

Ron Wolf's brief employment with the Packers does not compare with the other non-players like Vince Lombardi or Curly Lambeau who are in the Hall of Fame and honored at Lambeau Field.

Now there no longer is a standard and any old name in Lambeau is no different than the crummy names in inferior stadia.

Higher standards makes for a higher honor.
The standards have been greatly degraded.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
California cheeze- Calm down, you are posting with incorrect information. The Packers have placed Ron Wolf's name in another area on the facade of Lambeau Field separate from the Packer Hall of Famers.

If Ron Wolf does get inducted into the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio his name will be relocated from it's present location to the location of other Packer NFL Hall of famers

Ron Wolf was employed by Green Bay Packers from late 1991 to 2001 and Vince Lombardi was here from 1959 to 1968. Basically the same amount of employment years with the Packers. I can't recall any specific year of employment requirements by the Green Bay Packers to honor a very important Green Bay Packer employee. I would think only major accomplishments to success of the Green Bay franchise would be enough.

And Ron Wolf's accomplishment certainly did that. Remember the Packers had a mostly losing era (1968-2001) before he arrived here and took over as Packer General manager. The Packer then had 10 years of Non losing seasons under GM Ron Wolf and three more years followed un der Mike Sherman. They also participated in two Super Bowls , winning one which was their first Super Bowl win since 1967.

Ron Wolf deserves any honor the Packers give him. Ron Wolf is not simply any old name. Apparently by your post , you disagree my opinion and Green Bay Packer organization about Ron Wolf impact on this Packer franchise. That is your right.

Again Ron Wolf's name is not included with the Packer NFL hall of famers but in a corner separate from the Hall of Famers
on the facade of Lambeau Field. There was article this week in the Green Bay Press-Gazette explaining this whole situation concerning the placing of Ron Wolf's name on the facade of Lambeau Field. I suggest you read the article.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
also cheeze says the Pro Football HOF has been wattered down, wtf, you talk so highly about Curly Lambeau, but he wouldn't even be in an NFL only Hall of Fame.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gak, Curly was a charter member of the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton OH.

Certainly more deserving than those who never played or were associated with the NFL who later were admitted to the "Pro Football Hall of Fame".

As I originally said there are many types of rememberances that be done for Ron Wolf.

PWT- This article in the Press Gazette
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/PKR01/612140472/1058/PKRFeatures

Says the following:

"The elder Wolf will be the 22nd name placed inside the stadium. The other 21 — listed on the east and west walls of the stadium between the suites — are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio."

"Now he's got the dubious distinction of being the only guy up there not in the Hall of Fame."

The Northeast corner location sets a very bad precedent.

History and tradition now mean far less at Lambeau Field.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To make the Ring, one had to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, that has always been the previous standard for being in the ring. Howver, I can't aimainge anyone more qualified than ron Wolf. I think he was huge in bringing this team back to the Superbowl. Some of his decisions as he left the Packers weren't up to his standards in his early years, but I have no doubt we'd never have been to Superbowl without him. He deserves to be there.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This honor might help him get inducted to the Pro Football HOF. Frankly I think there is a good chance he gets inducted to the HOF and his name gets moved to be side by side with the rest.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is simply one man's decision to deface and disgrace Lambeau Field. If Bob Harlan is above keeping the rules, what is to keep some future jerk from putting his own name there?

Why not the ball boy, hot dog vendor or groundskeeper?

Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi were GM's of the Packers in addition to their other duties. Ron Wolf was only a GM.

The Lambeau standards should be maintained.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts