Wk 13 Houston Texans In Town

Reaction score
Really? What the **** is it with posters wanting the running game? This team sucks offensively when they try to establish the run early. Note the 1st quarters of Wash and Tenn games. Quick rhythm passing is what this team does best. Why take the ball away from the best player to hand it to a street FA and your backup RB? Maybe a power back like Lacy that runs through tackles. The offensive line does not blow people off the line until the defense is worn down a bit chasing down Rodgers scrambles, slants, and screens.
Because many ******* "posters" (I like to refer to them as people ;)) understand that 1 dimensional teams don't last long in this league. Sure, they can put together a string of a few wins, but then they eventually play against a coach who has the experience to counter a pure passing Offense like GB and has the talent to exploit them.
Not to mention what we know about what happens to the careers of QBs who run often or lead the team in rushing. I prefer not to see that happen to us or even to watch our QB play on a pulled calf muscle, a strained Hamstring, get a groin injury, be Abused while dropping back 50 times, or much, much worse (see RGIII)
We won against the Eagles with an old school, time consuming, move the chains, philosophy that kept our opponent off the field against our pathetic secondary and demoralized the their fans.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Really? What the **** is it with posters wanting the running game? This team sucks offensively when they try to establish the run early. Note the 1st quarters of Wash and Tenn games. Quick rhythm passing is what this team does best. Why take the ball away from the best player to hand it to a street FA and your backup RB? Maybe a power back like Lacy that runs through tackles. The offensive line does not blow people off the line until the defense is worn down a bit chasing down Rodgers scrambles, slants, and screens.
Hooray! I've found some agreement at last!

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Ripkowski...er...I mean cowbell!

Seriously, he doesn't lose yards and punishes opponents, and you can't throw on every down. Work in a few more Ripkoski runs to soften 'em up. New nickname: RIP in the upper case, "rest in peace", because somebody will get knocked out sooner or later. Either that, or business decisions will be made, which is all the better.

H

HardRightEdge

We won against the Eagles with an old school, time consuming, move the chains, philosophy that kept our opponent off the field against our pathetic secondary and demoralized the their fans.
Screw the fans. Death by a 1,000 cuts is demoralizing to the defense. Kinda like with Green Bay's D in zone. ;)

Let it be theirs, not ours. Control the ball and the clock.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever our playoff odds now, it sure beats sitting here at 4-7 after another blowout loss with the question of whether we'd win another game sounding less ludicrous than if we'd make the playoffs , which is where I figured we'd be 2 days ago.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFC North could end up eerily similar to the 2010 NFC West, when the 7-9 Seahawks won the division to host a playoff game. We're a bunch of chevys running with a couple of spark boots removed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well the Texans definitely don't have bum WRs like Philly that's for sure. I expect to see a ton of zone from Capers because they can't play man on Hopkins and Fuller...just don't have the corners to match up with those two technique or speed wise. We can only hope Martinez and Ryan are both back in The middle, and Clay Matthews and co. are able to force Osweiller into some bad throws, and pressure him.

The Texans passing offense has struggled mightily for most of the season and while Hopkins is a talented receiver he doesn't seem to have clicked with Osweiler. I believe the Packers will win this game as the defense matches up pretty well with their offense.

Wildcard is extremely unlikely even if the Packers win-out. The only realistic path to the playoffs is by winning the division.

The Packers currently trail a wild card spot by only 1 1/2 games.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's only one way this team can beat even mediocre opponents. There is such abundant evidence that it should be obvious by now. I've repeated it so many times: control the ball, burn the clock, keep the defense off the field. If Crennel is blitz happy as you say, my prescription fits that to tee. When Rodgers puts his mind to it, with this collection of possession receivers, he can wear down that blitz with the quick throw. If he's gimped up a little with the hammy, all the more reason to stick with what works: short timing passes.
I agree to a point, but the Packers and Rodgers of mid-2015 through most of this year has struggled with the execution of this strategy. CBs are supposed to play tight coverage and jump the routes when the defense blitzes and QBs are looking to get the ball out quickly. Our receivers have really struggled to get open on those and haven't had the speed to burn them deep.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a few weeks, there as been pundit talk about benching Osweiler. They are beating mediocre teams such as Detroit and Jacksonville while losing to better teams such as Oakland and San Diego. This will be a tough contest for us but is definitely winnable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree to a point, but the Packers and Rodgers of mid-2015 through most of this year has struggled with the execution of this strategy.

The Packers haven't struggled executing this strategy but with sticking to it.

Gabe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just hope that the team can have the rest of the games to get a wild card.
Getting wildcard at this point is very unlikely. We need to win out the rest of the games and become division champs if we want to actually go to the playoffs.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to have Ryan back on the field. Any word on how long Martinez is going to be out? The only thing I've seen is 'multiple weeks.'

H

HardRightEdge

I agree to a point, but the Packers and Rodgers of mid-2015 through most of this year has struggled with the execution of this strategy.
This is where many miss the point. They have executed this offensive strategy sporadically with good success, then veer back to the downfield game in some strange effort to recapture some past glory which, frankly, has not been all that glorious.

As for the defense, like I said this isn't some blueprint for making the playoffs. This is not a playoff defense. When they blitz they are exposed in man coverage; when they don't they are exposed in Capers soft zone that, quite frankly, most of the D backfield doesn't get. That's assuming there is something to get, which is highly questionable. In short, keep these guys off the field.

Just use what works, try to win some games with what works, and see where it takes you.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear you break a nail in Green Bay and you're out 3 games. How bad did Ryan hurt his ankle? I've had severe low and high sprains and the most I've ever missed was agame. Ice elevation repeat...come game day tape that bad boy up and get out there. I'm sure they have a way to give him a shot to numb it smh.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I swear you break a nail in Green Bay and you're out 3 games. How bad did Ryan hurt his ankle? I've had severe low and high sprains and the most I've ever missed was agame. Ice elevation repeat...come game day tape that bad boy up and get out there. I'm sure they have a way to give him a shot to numb it smh.

Just tape it up, he will be ok! :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Edit: be sure to look away if this makes you queasy. ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Because many ******* "posters" (I like to refer to them as people ;))
I don't go about asking people about the Packers. I read what posters have written.
understand that 1 dimensional teams don't last long in this league. Sure, they can put together a string of a few wins, but then they eventually play against a coach who has the experience to counter a pure passing Offense like GB and has the talent to exploit them.
You advocated establishing the run from the get. Our offensive line is offensive in run blocking early in games. We don't have Lacey available to make them look better than they really are. I would rather they use the short pass to supplement and set up the run.
Not to mention what we know about what happens to the careers of QBs who run often or lead the team in rushing. I prefer not to see that happen to us or even to watch our QB play on a pulled calf muscle, a strained Hamstring, get a groin injury, be Abused while dropping back 50 times, or much, much worse (see RGIII)
For every RG3 there is a Steve Young.
First drive: 2 runs for 3 yards, 2 QB scrambles, 6 passes. 5+ min possession 75 total yards and a TD.
2nd drive: 3 runs for 13 yards, 6 passes, almost 4 min TOP, 75 total yds and a TD.
3rd drive: 3 runs 10 yards, 9 passes, 8 min TOP, 36 total yards led to a punt.
HALFTIME 4th drive: 1 run 4yds, 4 passes 67 yards to a FG. 2 1/2 min TOP.
5th drive: 4 runs 6 yds, 8 passes, several def penalties for 75 yards and a TD. 6 1/2min TOP. At this point the game was basically secured.
Into the fourth quarter the Packers had 13 called runs including 1 read option.. I don't think this qualifies as an old school philosophy. Old school to me brings back memories of 4-5 yard move the pile type runs for 8-9 times per drive. Leads me to believe the short quick rhythm passing game is what controlled the ball. The last scoring drive is what you seem to remember. 10 runs still netted only 16 yards on the final FG drive. Not really a dominating running game.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is what I've meant in my other post about MM trying to pound square pegs into round holes in our losing streak.

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting wildcard at this point is very unlikely. We need to win out the rest of the games and become division champs if we want to actually go to the playoffs.

The Packers currently trail the Redskins by 1 1/2 games for the last wild card spot which is less than within the division.

It was pretty obvious that Sam was on borrowed time. Based on this, I would have looked at him as a backup (even if you planned to start him) and built the roster based on that assumption.

It's pretty tough to build a successful roster that way though by treating a player with a cap hit of more than $12 million as a backup.

Sure would be nice to have Ryan back on the field. Any word on how long Martinez is going to be out? The only thing I've seen is 'multiple weeks.'

The Packers listed Martinez as a limited participant on Wednesday's injury report which seems to be a positive sign. The team didn't practice yesterday so that designation is an estimation only though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way the Packers win the game us if the short passing game can control the clock. Zone coverage has been a prescription for giving up easy touchdowns. What I'd like to see is a real aggressive blitz sceme. They will get burned but they may also get a few stops which won't happen if they go into a zone or play their basic nickel. With Rodgers not being mobile he won't be able to extend drives so I don't see the offense putting up more than 20. Packers can win if Osweiler lays an egg or the Texans are sloppy with the football.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only way the Packers win the game us if the short passing game can control the clock. Zone coverage has been a prescription for giving up easy touchdowns. What I'd like to see is a real aggressive blitz sceme. They will get burned but they may also get a few stops which won't happen if they go into a zone or play their basic nickel.

It won't matter if the defense gets some stops blitzing aggressively while getting burned for several long touchdowns though.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers currently trail the Redskins by 1 1/2 games for the last wild card spot which is less than within the division.

It's pretty tough to build a successful roster that way though by treating a player with a cap hit of more than $12 million as a backup.

The Packers listed Martinez as a limited participant on Wednesday's injury report which seems to be a positive sign. The team didn't practice yesterday so that designation is an estimation only though.

It would be good to get Ryan back this week, and really good to have both ILBs back for Seattle. While the defense only gave up 13 points to the Eagles they sure didn't look good in the first half. Osweiller doesn't scare me much, but Russell Wilson could destroy us with his mobility if we can't get our starters back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts