With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Out of those players, RS is probably the best.

Impact wise, his position is probably least important.

I'm going Landry or Alexander. Flip a coin.

ILB is the least valuable position, but Smith’s ability to cover and create pressure through the A gaps (which Pettine does as much as anyone) would make him more valuable than your typical player at the position. I’d go with him because he’s the last guy on the board who is totally clean in terms of production, competition, athleticism, durability, character, and consistency. In other words, a blue chipper. I wouldn’t be mad at Landry or Alexander either. Anyone else they would want to consider there other than the four listed?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Why is Ridley still even in the conversation? Did you not see his jumps at the combine amongst his overall testing and measurements? The testing isnt everything but the guy flat out bombed and isnt a great athlete. Certainly not pick 14 caliber.

No way should he be in play at 14 for a 6 foot receiver.

I mean his combine results were very similar to Davante Adams. He had a little bit more height. In the vertical, but was much slower. I think combine results are important, but not crucial. His results were better across the board to Cobb, Allison, and Nelson. The Packers have the slowest receiver group in the league. We need to get faster. We now have a massive red zone target, but we lack that “deep ball” threat.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB is the least valuable position, but Smith’s ability to cover and create pressure through the A gaps (which Pettine does as much as anyone) would make him more valuable than your typical player at the position. I’d go with him because he’s the last guy on the board who is totally clean in terms of production, competition, athleticism, durability, character, and consistency. In other words, a blue chipper. I wouldn’t be mad at Landry or Alexander either. Anyone else they would want to consider there other than the four listed?

If this is what would be left on the board I'd agree to with going with RS. However, if all of Edmunds, Ward and James do not make it to us (which is to be expected unfortunately) I'd really entertain the possibility of trading down a few spots if we can, end up having 2 picks at about the 20# 35# range and drafting Landry and Alexander/Oliver. Then pick up a WR/TE in the third round. If Darby is doable for the first day 3 pick, id trade for him no questions asked. Use the final picks to add depth to OL, LB, DB, WR/TE.

How much would I like to add the Honey Badger to this group. I wouldn't even mind cutting Cobb if thats what it takes.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean his combine results were very similar to Davante Adams. He had a little bit more height. In the vertical, but was much slower. I think combine results are important, but not crucial. His results were better across the board to Cobb, Allison, and Nelson. The Packers have the slowest receiver group in the league. We need to get faster. We now have a massive red zone target, but we lack that “deep ball” threat.

Adams was also significantly bigger/stronger than Ridley.

I like Ridley, but he's not a deep threat. He's a smooth WR who runs precise routes, but not really a deep threat.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Adams was also significantly bigger/stronger than Ridley.

I like Ridley, but he's not a deep threat. He's a smooth WR who runs precise routes, but not really a deep threat.

Adams’ jumps were also way better than Ridley’s. And he wasn’t a consideration for the first round.

I think Ridley is really good at playing the position, but there are going to be better talents on the board at #14.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I do not want Ridley at 14

Not that I am expecting an immediate impact player at #14, but as of today, we need help on defense. Using that first pick on a WR would be considered a luxury at this point. Plus, I don't think Ridley is that much better than a group of guys that will still be on the board in the 2nd and possibly 3rd round.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the first time in years I don't have have a guy I think we SHOULD pick. The DeKizer trade really through a monkey wrench into everything. Before the trade I all but KNEW it was gonna be Mason Rudolph after the egg Hundley laid last year but now who knows. To my way of thinking though it has to be D Line, CB or O-Line.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the first time in years I don't have have a guy I think we SHOULD pick. The DeKizer trade really through a monkey wrench into everything. Before the trade I all but KNEW it was gonna be Mason Rudolph after the egg Hundley laid last year but now who knows. To my way of thinking though it has to be D Line, CB or O-Line.

Getting Kizer really doesn't change much as far as the draft. Now losing Randall might. If you thought the Packers were going to use their #1 pick on a QB, then you must have inside information that Aaron Rodgers is going to retire or be traded in the next 5 years?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Kizer really doesn't change much as far as the draft. Now losing Randall might. If you thought the Packers were going to use their #1 pick on a QB, then you must have inside information that Aaron Rodgers is going to retire or be traded in the next 5 years?

No. He's just crazy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

They could have done this draft 100 times and it was never going to be Rudolph.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
wheeeeeww....thought I missed an announcement by the Packers that they were locked into using the #14 pick for a backup QB for Rodgers. A guy that hopefully would get zero meaningful snaps for 4 years, yet when his rookie deal is up, some will think is worth 4 first round picks. Damn I need to read the press releases closer! :coffee:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2 public complaints about his bosses in 3 months. New GM, and we saw what the last new GM did with a HOF starting QB. Also I still do think Rudolph fits McCarthy's system, but I doubt we bring in a 1st round QB THIS year to compete.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
2 public complaints about his bosses in 3 months. New GM, and we saw what the last new GM did with a HOF starting QB. Also I still do think Rudolph fits McCarthy's system, but I doubt we bring in a 1st round QB THIS year to compete.

I doubt Rodgers personality gets him the heave ho out of Green Bay. Whereas Favre's wavering on retirement, as well as him becoming less and less of a locker room guy were probably his pitfall. I also don't think the Packers went into the 2005 draft even thinking they were drafting a QB, but when Rodgers fell out of being the first pick and into their laps at 24, he was too big of a value not to grab, even if QB wasn't even close to being a need.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if thinking that Rodgers is on his way out is more crazy, or if thinking Rudolph should be a Rd 1 QB is more crazy.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the signing of Tramon Williams, imo there is room for choice now at 14 instead of reaching for a CB. At this point, I would really love one of the premier safety or linebacker prospects to slide to us. In this order;

Fitzpatrick - Ward - James - Edmunds - Smith - Alexander - Jackson - Landry

I'd draft at 14 considering guys like Chubb and Barkley are not gonna be there anymore. Furthermore I'd pass on a OL (including Nelson - more pressing needs elsewhere), WR and DL here. If none of these guys reach our pick (which I deem unlikely since there is a good chance that five QBs, a RB and an OG are gone once we pick) I'd really love us to trade back. Im not confident of picking Davenport, I do not care how impressive his combine results are. We rarely ever have a top half pick in the first round and I just not feel like using it on a small school prospect.

Im interested in who your top 3 choices are for the first round. Furthermore, would you take Arden Key in the second round?

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the signing of Tramon Williams, imo there is room for choice now at 14 instead of reaching for a CB. At this point, I would really love one of the premier safety or linebacker prospects to slide to us. In this order;

I'd draft at 14 considering guys like Chubb and Barkley are not gonna be there anymore. Furthermore I'd pass on a OL (including Nelson - more pressing needs elsewhere), WR and DL here. If none of these guys reach our pick (which I deem unlikely since there is a good chance that five QBs, a RB and an OG are gone once we pick) I'd really love us to trade back. Im not confident of picking Davenport, I do not care how impressive his combine results are. We rarely ever have a top half pick in the first round and I just not feel like using it on a small school prospect.

Im interested in who your top 3 choices are for the first round. Furthermore, would you take Arden Key in the second round?
I think one of those guys are ours, although if Nelson is as good as everyone says, you have to consider him too. It would pain me to take a guard at 14, but if he turned out to be a Pro Bowl guy it would turn out okay.

I get a feeling we may try and move up a few spots with all our picks and pick Ward, James, Edmonds , or Smith. Those guys likely start. An edge guy certainly will play a lot if he's a stud. I think the other corners will take a little time.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of those guys are ours, although if Nelson is as good as everyone says, you have to consider him too. It would pain me to take a guard at 14, but if he turned out to be a Pro Bowl guy it would turn out okay.

I get a feeling we may try and move up a few spots with all our picks and pick Ward, James, Edmonds , or Smith. Those guys likely start. An edge guy certainly will play a lot if he's a stud. I think the other corners will take a little time.

Tbh, I'd already consider trading back if Ward, James, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds or Smith do not reach us. I'd really did not consider trading up before. How much would we have to give up in order to rise 4 spots?

It all depends on how the draft rolls out. If there is a QB rush at the top and 4 get taken within the top 5, other teams may scramble to get a QB. And considering Chubb and Barkley are definitely gone and Nelson almost surely will be, there is a great chance that any of these players also end up being there at 14 without having the need to trade up. The chance would have been even greater if we didn't lose the coin flip for the 13th pick.. Which really sucks since the Redskins seem to need help at LB and DB too.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers still need to upgrade at cornerback but I would prefer Gutekunst to address the position with a veteran through free agency or a trade.

My top three choices would be Landry, Jackson and Smith. One player to keep an eye on is Maurice Hurst who would most likely be gone by the time the Packers are on the clock but with the heart issue he was diagnosed at the combine, of which he has been cleared in the meantime, he might drop to #14.

How much would we have to give up in order to rise 4 spots?

The Packers would have most likely to give up their third round pick to move up four spots.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers feel that Jackson can be a good press man corner, I really wouldn’t mind that pick. His size, athletic profile, and ball skills all remind me of Marcus Peters.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is what Jeremiah said about him in various techniques:

In press coverage, he isn't physical, but he's very fluid to open up and mirror. I have some concerns about his deep speed, but he wasn't really challenged in the games I studied. He is at his best in zone coverage, where he sees through the wideout to the quarterback. He's quick to identify routes, break on the ball and finish.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I will say that in the little I’ve actually watched of Jackson, I did notice that he didn’t really disrupt the receiver from press coverage. I recall exactly what DJ said above— he just opened up and mirrored. He was good at it, but a 4.56 corner who doesn’t get his hands on receivers makes me nervous in the NFL.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say that in the little I’ve actually watched of Jackson, I did notice that he didn’t really disrupt the receiver from press coverage. I recall exactly what DJ said above— he just opened up and mirrored. He was good at it, but a 4.56 corner who doesn’t get his hands on receivers makes me nervous in the NFL.

Think he's similar to Hayward? That sounds like Hayward to me tbh.

Members online

Latest posts