With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fwiw, essentially all DL are rotation players.

Mike Daniels rotates. Kenny Clark rotates. There aren't any DL who play all of the snaps.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you watch the film he tires easily. Forced to take plays off. He needs to lose some weight. Makes no sense to waste a 14th pick on a rotational player at this point.

Almost all great interior defensive linemen are rotational. Kenny Clark played 15 games and managed 65% of the snaps on defense. Almost all great college big men play too many snaps. Haloti Ngata also got dinged for effort level. These college programs ask 330+ lb DT's to play nearly every down. It's unrealistic. They still often make fantastic and valuable NFL players.

I'm also scratching my head trying to figure out how the PAC12 is a disqualifying level of competition, but we MUST draft Courtland Sutton of the AAC... the guy who got shut down by UCF and TCU.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Almost all great interior defensive linemen are rotational. Kenny Clark played 15 games and managed 65% of the snaps on defense. Almost all great college big men play too many snaps. Haloti Ngata also got dinged for effort level. These college programs ask 330+ lb DT's to play nearly every down. It's unrealistic. They still often make fantastic and valuable NFL players.

I'm also scratching my head trying to figure out how the PAC12 is a disqualifying level of competition, but we MUST draft Courtland Sutton of the AAC... the guy who got shut down by UCF and TCU.

We're not talking about Courtland Sutton until after combine remember? We're now focusing on your big humdinger picks.

Yes they are rotational to some degree and we respectively drafted Clark and Daniels later in the draft where you can usually get those guys. Unless Vita Vea is the second coming of Suh or Geno Atkins or Aaron Donald(which he is not) then it's to early to draft him at 14.

Someone better will fall. If they don't then we trade back. Can't be putting square pegs in round holes here. This draft is too important to Packers future.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We're not talking about Courtland Sutton until after combine remember? We're now focusing on your big humdinger picks.

Yes they are rotational to some degree and we respectively drafted Clark and Daniels later in the draft where you can usually get those guys. Unless Vita Vea is the second coming of Suh or Geno Atkins or Aaron Donald(which he is not) then it's to early to draft him at 14.

Someone better will fall. If they don't then we trade back. Can't be putting square pegs in round holes here. This draft is too important to Packers future.

What you mean is that you want to use the level of competition argument when it's convenient to you, but you're going to ignore it when it isn't. I never agreed to stop talking about anyone.

So unless Vea is the second coming of one of three guys (who he is nothing like, stylistically, as a prospect), the Packers must pass at #14? Yeah, that makes sense...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What you mean is that you want to use the level of competition argument when it's convenient to you, but you're going to ignore it when it isn't. I never agreed to stop talking about anyone.

So unless Vea is the second coming of one of three guys (who he is nothing like, stylistically, as a prospect), the Packers must pass at #14? Yeah, that makes sense...

Go watch his Penn State film and that's why we need to pass at 14. He hasn't played against anyone else but a bunch of softies.

And evaluating receivers are different as there is so many more parts at work. The QB and play called and defense called to defend that play all have to be considered. It is much easier to evaluate DT's. I can't believe I have to explain all this to you.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Go watch his Penn State film and that's why we need to pass at 14. He hasn't played against anyone else but a bunch of softies.

And evaluating receivers are different as there is so many more parts at work. The QB and play called and defense called to defend that play all have to be considered. It is much easier to evaluate DT's. I can't believe I have to explain all this to you.

Vea did not have a good game against Penn State. He did, however, have many great games over the course of a strong career at Washington. Disqualifying him over that one game is ridiculous. Go back a year, and Vea ended his season with a strong showing against a better line (Alabama) in the Peach Bowl. Making a determination based on one game is garbage analysis.

Sutton faced two legit defenses in 2017 (TCU and UCF) and came away with 6 catches for 46 yards and 0 touchdowns. If the PAC12 is a bunch of softies then what is the rest of the AAC? High school teams? If we follow your logic on Vea (i.e. one bad game = pass at 14) then Sutton is a mid round pick at best. You can make whatever excuses you want to about positional differences, etc. but the reality is that you just want a double standard because it suits your opinion.

I love that last line though. That's becoming a pretty standard move for you when you don't have anything to say-- make some comment about how I like certain combine numbers or don't know anything or can't watch tape (all very compelling arguments).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Vea did not have a good game against Penn State. He did, however, have many great games over the course of a strong career at Washington. Disqualifying him over that one game is ridiculous. Go back a year, and Vea ended his season with a strong showing against a better line (Alabama) in the Peach Bowl. Making a determination based on one game is garbage analysis.

Sutton faced two legit defenses in 2017 (TCU and UCF) and came away with 6 catches for 46 yards and 0 touchdowns. If the PAC12 is a bunch of softies then what is the rest of the AAC? High school teams? If we follow your logic on Vea (i.e. one bad game = pass at 14) then Sutton is a mid round pick at best. You can make whatever excuses you want to about positional differences, etc. but the reality is that you just want a double standard because it suits your opinion.

I love that last line though. That's becoming a pretty standard move for you when you don't have anything to say-- make some comment about how I like certain combine numbers or don't know anything or can't watch tape (all very compelling arguments).

No, I just don't want a fat guy in a little coat that will be nothing more then a plugger at limited snaps in the NFL at pick 14. Yawn.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please tell me all the roles that Vea has since evaluating DL play is so easy.

Was he protecting the A Gap, the B Gap, was he two gapping, was he supposed to penetrate his gap or just hold it? Was he playing 0T, 1T, 3T, 5T and in which plays was he doing which? And what was the OL trying to do to him? Just seal him off? Push him off his gap? Allow him to penetrate and then seal?

I look forward to your evaluation on Vea since covering DL is so much easier than WR, and you seem to think you can handle WR easy enough. Please be thorough.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Please tell me all the roles that Vea has since evaluating DL play is so easy.

Was he protecting the A Gap, the B Gap, was he two gapping, was he supposed to penetrate his gap or just hold it? Was he playing 0T, 1T, 3T, 5T and in which plays was he doing which? And what was the OL trying to do to him? Just seal him off? Push him off his gap? Allow him to penetrate and then seal?

I look forward to your evaluation on Vea since covering DL is so much easier than WR, and you seem to think you can handle WR easy enough. Please be thorough.

I said it was "easier then evaluating WR's" IMO or that is what I meant. I don't have the time break down every single snap of Vita Vea's season let alone a game and post it here. There is plenty of that stuff out there if you properly do your own homework. Im not gonna do everyone's homework for them on here.

We simply don't need the guy and not at 14. We have the same Damn thing with Montravious Adams already on the roster. Vea isn't good enough that the Packers just say we got needs everywhere else but this Vea is just to good to pass up. It's just not in the cards. Maybe if he drops into the second I could see them having that conversation but not at 14.

Next.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I said it was "easier then evaluating WR's" IMO or that is what I meant. I don't have the time break down every single snap of Vita Vea's season let alone a game and post it here. There is plenty of that stuff out there if you properly do your own homework. Im not gonna do everyone's homework for them on here.

We simply don't need the guy and not at 14. We have the same Damn thing with Montravious Adams already on the roster. Vea isn't good enough that the Packers just say we got needs everywhere else but this Vea is just to good to pass up. It's just not in the cards. Maybe if he drops into the second I could see them having that conversation but not at 14.

Next.

That's true, but the vast majority of it is very complimentary of him.

Vea and Adams are really, really different as DL prospects. To equate them is strange.

It's true that DL is not the biggest need of the Packers. However, I'd rather them draft the blue chip prospect that falls than reach for a greater perceived need (e.g. Sutton) at #14. In the long run, you're better off making a strength stronger with a difference maker than taking a lesser talent just to say you plugged a hole.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's true that DL is not the biggest need of the Packers. However, I'd rather them draft the blue chip prospect that falls than reach for a greater perceived need (e.g. Sutton) at #14. In the long run, you're better off making a strength stronger with a difference maker than taking a lesser talent just to say you plugged a hole.

I agree with this and won't respond in regards to Sutton per earlier posts but I am highly against reaching for a player too. That's why they should trade up to get there guy or wait to see if one of there guys falls to them and if they don't then trade back and get an extra pick and pick a guy that fills a need that is more board friendly. They can always trade back up later.

Keep in mind we have no clue what the Packers board looks like.;)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I am ok with Vea at 14 but I doubt it happens. I am sure there will be a better player available though. But I like investing high picks on the DL. In 2016 I pushed for Jaraan Reed at 27, he ended up going in the mid 2nd. Vea provides all the same run support with more pocket collapse and pass rush. NFL seems to weigh pass rush as much more important than run support than I would.

I do believe we should invest more in the DL this season with a day 2 pick at least. I think Bryan in 2nd or Green in 3rd perhaps. Both those would be steals at those spots though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Personally, I am ok with Vea at 14 but I doubt it happens. I am sure there will be a better player available though. But I like investing high picks on the DL. In 2016 I pushed for Jaraan Reed at 27, he ended up going in the mid 2nd. Vea provides all the same run support with more pocket collapse and pass rush. NFL seems to weigh pass rush as much more important than run support than I would.

I do believe we should invest more in the DL this season with a day 2 pick at least. I think Bryan in 2nd or Green in 3rd perhaps. Both those would be steals at those spots though.

Bryan would be a great pick in 2nd. Now that action I like.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting read about the infamous 2005 draft. Some good quotes, anecdotes and kind of how it all shook down to have #12 land in Green Bay's lap.

"...we're just seeing if the phone is going to ring, and it was crickets, man. There were no calls. Think about the NFL landscape if that phone rang with something we liked, just think about the change and what could've happened."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-green-bay-packers-2005-draft-day-slide-nfl

D

Deleted member 6794

And he did do that against Mickey Mouse pac 12 competition and the likes of Rutgers and Idaho. Once again against Penn State he was stone walled and did little if any of those things you mentioned. He was a non-factor. For me the Packers can do better at 14.

Da'ron Payne or Taven Bryan provide better options IMO and I don't like spending pick 14 on DT either way really with all the other holes Packer have.

I would prefer the Packers to select an edge rusher presenting a better value than Vea with the 14th pick as well but that doesn't mean the defensive lineman isn't worthy of being selected that early.

Yes they are rotational to some degree and we respectively drafted Clark and Daniels later in the draft where you can usually get those guys.

Clark was a first round pick.

Muldoon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know most fellow Packer fans here are never keen on starting the talk of free agency, let alone the NFL draft early, yet I am very curious with what you all hope the Packers do with their relatively high pick. Target Josh Jackson/ Denzel Ward? Go pass rusher? Another weapon/lineman for Rodgers maybe?

As a guy that does not watch a lot of College Football I am very interested in looking at the guys you throw out here.

Gotta go for McGlinchey first. He’s a Bulaga replacement. Shore up OLine first, then Edge or Hydrid player.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gotta go for McGlinchey first. He’s a Bulaga replacement. Shore up OLine first, then Edge or Hydrid player.

The Packers definitely need to upgrade their pass rush before addressing possible question marks on the offensive line.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah pick 27. If the Packers want to trade back and pick up Vea it might make more sense. I just don't want to see them go all in with the 14th pick in the draft on him.

I don't consider drafting Vea with the 14th pick as going all-in by any means.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't consider drafting Vea with the 14th pick as going all-in by any means.

Don't understand all the hype but oh well. The guy played against a bunch of chickens and got stonewalled against decent competition. Mark my words he will not be a legitimate pass rush threat at the next level so it will end up being a reach at 14 for a run plugger. Weight is gonna be an issue for Vea too. Plus we don't need him. M. Adams is legit. Time will tell.

If they went DL I like Da'ron Payne. He dominated in playoffs against both Clemson and Georgia. Guy is a relentless beast.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't understand all the hype but oh well. The guy played against a bunch of chickens and got stonewalled against decent competition. Mark my words he will not be a legitimate pass rush threat at the next level so it will end up being a reach at 14 for a run plugger. Weight is gonna be an issue for Vea too. Plus we don't need him. M. Adams is legit. Time will tell.

If they went DL I like Da'ron Payne. He dominated in playoffs against both Clemson and Georgia. Guy is a relentless beast.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the Packers to draft an edge rusher with the 14th pick as well but wouldn't be upset if the team ended up selecting Vea at that point. Adams still has a lot to prove before anyone should mention him as a legit NFL player.

Members online

Latest posts