With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
JanisJubilee turned me on to @eric_crocker (former NFL player). He has a long thread on Josh Jackson. In games he watched, 0 INT's from man coverage-- all of it came in zone. So if they're going to draft him, it would seem they should be prepared to play a lot of zone.

He also has a great break down on Isaac Yiadom in there, who is my favorite target if they don't take a corner in the first 2 rounds.

That pretty much jives with what I have read on Jackson and why I haven't liked hearing that he could be our pick. Great ballhawk no doubt, but if the Packers are going to continue to play man coverage AND draft Jackson, I think in a year or 2 there would be talk about shifting him over to safety, haven't' we seen enough guys like that? Great athlete and field instincts, but can he play the role of a press CB?

Had never watched Yiadom before, his tape against a pretty decent team, Clemson, is impressive. :)

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JanisJubilee turned me on to @eric_crocker (former NFL player). He has a long thread on Josh Jackson. In games he watched, 0 INT's from man coverage-- all of it came in zone. So if they're going to draft him, it would seem they should be prepared to play a lot of zone.

He also has a great break down on Isaac Yiadom in there, who is my favorite target if they don't take a corner in the first 2 rounds.

I agree with the Josh Jackson part emphatically. Could you expand on Isaac Yiadom?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree with the Josh Jackson part emphatically. Could you expand on Isaac Yiadom?

6’1” 190” corner with long arms (32”+) and adequate speed (4.52). Has the sub 7 second three cone (6.85) that the Packers like. Both physical and technically advanced in press man coverage. He wins with initial disruption at the LOS, throwing off the receiver’s route. But unlike a guy like Carlton Davis, he has the instincts and reaction speed to play off coverage.

Everything after the initial engagement needs refinement. His pedal is high and he needs more experience in route recognition. Smaller, quicker receivers could give him a lot of trouble.

If they took him, I would view him as an understudy to Williams/House for a season and the 2019 starter across from King.

That Eric Crocker break down is excellent. I recommend it.

Also reportedly an excellent ST coverage player.

After round 2, I like Yiadom outside and Stewart in the slot.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to warm to the idea of Davenport......then I think we could trade up in the second for one of the CB's. I would think we could get Oliver or likewise at around mid to late 30's.

I think Davenport, or even maybe Landry, would be more of an impact sooner than the CB's. And if one of these guys is the real deal, we could always float Clay around inside and outside.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to warm to the idea of Davenport......then I think we could trade up in the second for one of the CB's. I would think we could get Oliver or likewise at around mid to late 30's.

I think Davenport, or even maybe Landry, would be more of an impact sooner than the CB's. And if one of these guys is the real deal, we could always float Clay around inside and outside.
We have 2 starting OLBs who have demonstrated in the past that they can get to the QB. We even have a young Biegel who some think may be able to play. At CB we have a promising 1st year player, 2 vets beyond their prime, and several unknowns. We need 4 good CBs and I think we have 2. We need more talent in the secondary more desperately.

I do think Davenport will be a good player and is value at pick 14. I throw up a little every time I see Landry mocked ro us. Davenport has the tools to be an every down player. He has the attitude and desire and physical attributes to be a beast. Just needs some experience.

Not really sure how to rate our defense. I think players will be different under Pettine in a good way.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 2 starting OLBs who have demonstrated in the past that they can get to the QB. We even have a young Biegel who some think may be able to play. At CB we have a promising 1st year player, 2 vets beyond their prime, and several unknowns. We need 4 good CBs and I think we have 2. We need more talent in the secondary more desperately.

I do think Davenport will be a good player and is value at pick 14. I throw up a little every time I see Landry mocked ro us. Davenport has the tools to be an every down player. He has the attitude and desire and physical attributes to be a beast. Just needs some experience.

Not really sure how to rate our defense. I think players will be different under Pettine in a good way.

This is why as much as I want a wide receiver, I think we need to go OLB/CB in the first and second. It doesn't matter which order, just get the best value at those positions. As much as I'd like a wide receiver like Miller in the second, if we go OLB/CB and come around and grab someone like EQ St. Brown in the third, I think we'd be better off. I'm not sure Brown falls that far, but I think we need to come away with two corners in this draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why as much as I want a wide receiver, I think we need to go OLB/CB in the first and second. It doesn't matter which order, just get the best value at those positions. As much as I'd like a wide receiver like Miller in the second, if we go OLB/CB and come around and grab someone like EQ St. Brown in the third, I think we'd be better off. I'm not sure Brown falls that far, but I think we need to come away with two corners in this draft.
I think our 2nd and 3rd round picks will be wr and cb. I just think they is where the value lies. We can get a starter quality players at these positions with those picks. And, they happen to be positions we need a player at. Now 1st round is a question as to who will be available. We need to pick the best player regardless of position. I am thinking it will actually be Fitzpatrick.

We can still get a good WR with our first pick of the 4th. We can probably wait if there is a really good player available earlier.

Lots to mull over this year. I expect Gute to spend picks to move up. Not sure where to elevate picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If I am Gute, I am spending a lot of time talking to John Dorsey and trying to get their #33 (preferable) or #35 pick. I would do that now and not wait. That pick could land a really good CB or WR. As much as I like that first pick in the 4th round, I would be willing to trade it and the #45 pick to move up to one of those picks.

The Giants have the #34 pick and are a team who have no picks in the 6th and 7th round. While there isn't a ton of value tagged to those 2 rounds, they do allow a team to draft a guy they are otherwise fighting over with other teams to sign as an UDFA, so they might be another team to approach about swapping our 2nd round picks and give them one of our 6th and 7th rounders for their troubles.

Finally, there are the Colts. They have picks #36, #37 and #49 in the second round. They might be willing to trade one of those first 2 picks away.

Last edited:

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the only reason I can think of. RT and RG are real concerns for the Packers. Not to sign Evans without drafting a solid prospect at G would be plain stupid. Assuming Quenton Nelson is long, long gone. That would mean someone like Will Hernandez or Isiah Wynn. I'm not sure either of them would be there in round 3.

You really comfortable with McCray as the starting RG?

I am not sure either will be there when the packers pick in round 2. Hernandez is talked about in the tail end of round one.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't disagree with this at all, and there are questions about Davenport's ability. If.........if, he is the real deal, and if our D line performs like we hope, this should help our DB's a bunch. Yes, we need a few talented CB's and I would say for sure in the 1st or second round.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Miller, my son was on his H.S. team and his dad works at the same company as me. I'm thinking he is too much like Adams and Cobb, size ability, etc. I think St. Brown, fits us, I think we need a tall speed guy. Lazard I like a lot too, reguardless, Anthony Miller is a stud and plays and works hard, I just hope he doesn't go to anyone else in the NFC north.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Why do so many “NFL expert” mock drafts have the Packers taking Marcus Davenport at 14? I am not an NFL expert, but I would be very disappointed taking him at 14. Trade back and pick him up? Sure. He’s not the 14th best player in this draft. Really we should be selecting the 9th-12th best player in this draft because none of the QBs are the best players in the draft, there happen to be 5-6 desperate teams.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do so many “NFL expert” mock drafts have the Packers taking Marcus Davenport at 14? I am not an NFL expert, but I would be very disappointed taking him at 14. Trade back and pick him up? Sure. He’s not the 14th best player in this draft. Really we should be selecting the 9th-12th best player in this draft because none of the QBs are the best players in the draft, there happen to be 5-6 desperate teams.

Googled top 50 NFL draft prospects. First 6 I looked at all had him top 20 averaged around 14. Seems right around the packers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I agree with you that there are bound to be guys that I consider to be better than Davenport at #14, but the reason he’s mocked to the Packers so often is because CMIII is entering his last year on his contract and some are really enamored with Davenport’s length, power, and explosive movement. I actually really like him too. But there are a number of other prospects that I like more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the early reports from Pauline linked Davenport as a guy the Pack could target at 14. I have no idea myself. All these guys sound good or bad depending on who you listen too right now :) I remember when The Packers got D in the draft they took Rodgers and Nick Collins in the 1st and 2nd round. Many people had Collins as a 4th rounder. 2 All pro's and Murphy who I still believe would have been a better Jennings and the pundits and fans mostly disliked at best that Packer draft when it happened. anyway, I listen because it is something to pass the time with, but there are some good football people that really like Davenport.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One of the early reports from Pauline linked Davenport as a guy the Pack could target at 14. I have no idea myself. All these guys sound good or bad depending on who you listen too right now :) I remember when The Packers got D in the draft they took Rodgers and Nick Collins in the 1st and 2nd round. Many people had Collins as a 4th rounder. 2 All pro's and Murphy who I still believe would have been a better Jennings and the pundits and fans mostly disliked at best that Packer draft when it happened. anyway, I listen because it is something to pass the time with, but there are some good football people that really like Davenport.

He is super long, strong, and explosive. But he didn’t necessarily dominate a lower level of competition the way you want to see and he doesn’t really know what he’s doing with his tools yet. If the Packers were to take him, that’s fine. I’ll probably shrug.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is super long, strong, and explosive. But he didn’t necessarily dominate a lower level of competition the way you want to see and he doesn’t really know what he’s doing with his tools yet. If the Packers were to take him, that’s fine. I’ll probably shrug.
who ever we take, I'm going to have to go look them up :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

One of my favorite things about the draft is trying to explain it to people who don’t follow it. The only reason it’s such a huge “shock and awe” moment when someone goes where we don’t expect is because we spend months indoctrinating ourselves about where everyone “should” go.

So then someone goes way higher than we expect and it’s like “WOAH!!!” But people who don’t follow it are like “what?” And I’m like “well that player was expected to go later.”

“Ok...?”

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
The Draft is a crap shoot, it isn't always what a guy did in college...its what you project what he will do in the NFL. This is one of the reasons why there are so many busts. Some guys just don't develop or their skills don't translate to the next level. That's why a guy like Davenport is in the discussion. He has that unknown that teams are willing to take a chance on. Clay Matthews was a better pro, especially early in his career, than he was in college. There's 6 QB's that may get drafted in the first round, and 1 or 2 might have decent careers. Davenport might be what Pettine is looking for.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so 1 inch makes that big a difference? You said you thought he was 5' 10" but he's actually 5'11" so he's ok now. I think what actually matters is whether the dude can play and ward can. However I don't want the Packers to draft him at 14 because he hasn't shown himself to be a play maker having only 2 career ints doesn't do it for me that high in the draft. Now he could certainly become a playmaker in the NFL I'm just not counting on it so I'd pass on him
It is foolish to think that 1” will not make a difference to these size queens

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One of my favorite things about the draft is trying to explain it to people who don’t follow it. The only reason it’s such a huge “shock and awe” moment when someone goes where we don’t expect is because we spend months indoctrinating ourselves about where everyone “should” go.

So then someone goes way higher than we expect and it’s like “WOAH!!!” But people who don’t follow it are like “what?” And I’m like “well that player was expected to go later.”

“Ok...?”

Well damn, now you guys have me fully prepared to hear....

"With the 14th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select...............
Jeff Janis Jr, WR, Optimistic U"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So the latest rumors include consistent reports of Oakland taking an OT and Pauline saying that Vea to the Redskins is the league's worst kept secret.

Could be nonsense, but let's play with that for a second.

So if a DT and an OT go in the top 13, you can add two more to the total of Nelson, Chubb, Barkley, and the four QB's. That's 9 guys. Thus one of the following would be guaranteed to be there:
  • D. Ward, CB, OSU
  • R. Smith, LB, UGA
  • T. Edmunds, LB, VTU
  • M. Fitzpatrick, DB, UA
  • D. James, DB, FSU
Or, if the Packers are dead set on an edge rusher, this would be them in a position for a small trade back (for the team after Jackson) and still able to land Landry or Davenport.

That would be pretty sweet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So the latest rumors include consistent reports of Oakland taking an OT and Pauline saying that Vea to the Redskins is the league's worst kept secret.

Could be nonsense, but let's play with that for a second.

So if a DT and an OT go in the top 13, you can add two more to the total of Nelson, Chubb, Barkley, and the four QB's. That's 9 guys. Thus one of the following would be guaranteed to be there:
  • D. Ward, CB, OSU
  • R. Smith, LB, UGA
  • T. Edmunds, LB, VTU
  • M. Fitzpatrick, DB, UA
  • D. James, DB, FSU
Or, if the Packers are dead set on an edge rusher, this would be them in a position for a small trade back (for the team after Jackson) and still able to land Landry or Davenport.

That would be pretty sweet.

I have been reading the same rumblings and this is reminding me of watching the Presidential election when they drag that map out and start coloring the blue and red states and talk about what "has to happen".

If 5 QB's and 2 OL along with Vea come off the board, I think the Packers ARE going to land one of those picks.

Then again, I still have this "fear" that I am going to hear "Mike Hughes" or "Joshua Jackson" called out and that very well could happen if Ward is gone.

Members online

Latest posts