With their 1st Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft the Packers select...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Speaking of Evans, he's expressed interest in returning. Why, do you think, the Packers have not bit? He wouldn't cost much just as he didn't last season. Perhaps it's because they want to first see what they get out of the draft? I think so.
I think that's it. If they love someone who drops in the draft, I think they'll want to reserve those scarce practice snaps for the younger guys.

Although I think Dantés is correct, I have been hoping they would sign Evans back on a low few guarantees contract. As we have learned, you just can't have enough quality depth on the OL. Even if the Packers think their RG is currently on the team, things happen and guys like Evans aren't always available come Sept. Sign him now and built some more depth and future in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Although I think Dantés is correct, I have been hoping they would sign Evans back on a low few guarantees contract. As we have learned, you just can't have enough quality depth on the OL. Even if the Packers think their RG is currently on the team, things happen and guys like Evans aren't always available come Sept. Sign him now and built some more depth and future in the draft.

I think the issue is practice time. It’s so limited under this CBA that if you have a young guy or multiple that you like for now and for the future, giving snaps away to a guy at the end like Evans isn’t tenable. However if they don’t like what falls to them in the draft, they can always bring him back afterwards.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the issue is practice time. It’s so limited under this CBA that if you have a young guy or multiple that you like for now and for the future, giving snaps away to a guy at the end like Evans isn’t tenable. However if they don’t like what falls to them in the draft, they can always bring him back afterwards.
Could be or Evans hasn't decided for sure what he wants to do. I don't think a guy like Evans is going to need a lot of snaps to get ready.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hopefully the Packers have a good feeling for what the OL needs and they are just waiting for Evans to decide if he wants to play another year. Then again, maybe the Packers think he is done. If he isn't done and he can give another season like last year, then sign him before his old team the Saints or someone else does.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Ballard said the Colts have "blue chip" or "elite" grades on 8 non-QB's in this class and then a tier break. Who might they be?

I would think Nelson, Barkley, and Chubb are safe guesses.

The other 5 would be some combination of Ridley, Hurst, Vea, Payne, Smith, Edmunds, Vander Esch, Landry, Davenport, Ward, Fitzpatrick, and James.

I'm betting it's:
  1. Barkley
  2. Nelson
  3. Chubb
  4. Ward
  5. Edmunds
  6. Smith
  7. Fitzpatrick
  8. James
Though sometimes team grades surprise us because we get so used to the mainstream media takes. What do you guys think?
A talking head said he was a scout with an NFL team a few years back and they had pacman Jones #1 overall in the draft. Wolf ranked Favre #1 overall and he went in the 2nd. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and any in your list could be in the elite 8. Every team probably has some combination of the players you list.

The ones you listed are the consensus amateur picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A talking head said he was a scout with an NFL team a few years back and they had pacman Jones #1 overall in the draft. Wolf ranked Favre #1 overall and he went in the 2nd. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and any in your list could be in the elite 8. Every team probably has some combination of the players you list.

The ones you listed are the consensus amateur picks.

Yup, every year I will hear a name in that first 2 rounds and say "Who?" Now I don't mind when that player is someone picked by another team, but I am hoping we don't have a repeat of 2015 when I was scrambling to find out information on Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins. I don't remember for sure, but maybe I just wasn't that vested in the draft that year to instantly recognize their names.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, every year I will hear a name in that first 2 rounds and say "Who?" Now I don't mind when that player is someone picked by another team, but I am hoping we don't have a repeat of 2015 when I was scrambling to find out information on Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins. I don't remember for sure, but maybe I just wasn't that vested in the draft that year to instantly recognize their names.
Yup. Chiefs picked Tyson 3rd overall and I thought he was borderline 1st round. Jax got Alualu at 10 and I thought mid 2nd round. Last year 2 WRs went top 10 who I thought about 20 picks too soon. Hopefully that happens again and we end up with a ward, Fitz, or edmunds.

H

HardRightEdge

I think that's it. If they love someone who drops in the draft, I think they'll want to reserve those scarce practice snaps for the younger guys.
They worked out Williams and Miller for a reason. I would expect those guys along with McGlinchy to be off the board by#35 or thereabouts but you never know.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They worked out Williams and Miller for a reason. I would expect those guys along with McGlinchy to be off the board by#35 or thereabouts but you never know.

Due diligence for a trade back perhaps. Or maybe they like Williams enough to consider at #14. He's a very polarizing prospect-- some think he's not a tackle at all, while others thought he was darn near elite before a down 2017.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Never know, maybe Gute has something up his sleeve to obtain an early second round pick, Cleveland has 2. With 12 picks, I would be fine with trading up in the second or if our first tier guy isn't there at #14, trade back and try to get 3 total picks in the top 45.

H

HardRightEdge

Due diligence for a trade back perhaps. Or maybe they like Williams enough to consider at #14. He's a very polarizing prospect-- some think he's not a tackle at all, while others thought he was darn near elite before a down 2017.
Never know, maybe Gute has something up his sleeve to obtain an early second round pick, Cleveland has 2. With 12 picks, I would be fine with trading up in the second or if our first tier guy isn't there at #14, trade back and try to get 3 total picks in the top 45.
Trading down, trading up. Both are possibilities.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Trading down, trading up. Both are possibilities.

I’m sure it’s a general rule in front offices that “we didn’t do all our homework on this guy because we didn’t think he’d be an option” is an unacceptable outcome.

I also believe that teams like to have a book on guys as they come out so their pro scouts have a starting point.

H

HardRightEdge

If people are going to call Gutekunst by that "goot-ee" nickname, shouldn't it be spelled "Gutie"?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If people are going to call Gutekunst by that "goot-ee" nickname, shouldn't it be spelled "Gutie"?

I call him “goot”

I don't know, its all Gute to me. :coffee:

Gutie sounds too '"cutesy"

I like the "manly" German sound of a harsh "Goooooot".

Guten Tag

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Spriggs was LT and RT insurance. You are right about Murphy, Patrick and Amichia in that we do not know what they think about them. You might as well throw Dillon Day in there. And most importantly, you didn't mention Justin McCray, your penciled-in RG.

They were confident enought in Lane Taylor to let Sitton walk which was something of a surprise in the confidence as much as the walking. But in not knowing one cannot rule out a meaningful value placed on an OL, particularly an OT. None of these guys are anybody you'd want playing at OT. The best option is probably McCray.

However, you simply cannot ignore Bulaga's injury history, especially coming off an ACL, now one on each knee, with various and sundy other knee and ankle injuries. There's risk there. And there's more risk in Spriggs not progressing. And there's no evidence to us that those other guys will play up to at least Evans' level.

Speaking of Evans, he's expressed interest in returning. Why, do you think, the Packers have not bit? He wouldn't cost much just as he didn't last season. Perhaps it's because they want to first see what they get out of the draft? I think so.

I didn’t mention McCray because I consider him the starter right now and I was replying to the topic of OL depth.

The Packers may be already talking to Evans but want to see what happens in the draft. Everyday he remains unsigned his price tag goes down imo.

H

HardRightEdge

Wilde and some of the other guys on the ESPN podcasts call him "goot-ee". I'm guessing that's the way the insiders roll with it. It's a time-honored tradition is sports. If a guy does not have a proper nickname, slap in "ie" on the end of something.

Now, if he grew a goatee it could get confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's the only reason I can think of. RT and RG are real concerns for the Packers. Not to sign Evans without drafting a solid prospect at G would be plain stupid. Assuming Quenton Nelson is long, long gone. That would mean someone like Will Hernandez or Isiah Wynn. I'm not sure either of them would be there in round 3.

You really comfortable with McCray as the starting RG?

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the only reason I can think of. RT and RG are real concerns for the Packers. Not to sign Evans without drafting a solid prospect at G would be plain stupid. Assuming Quenton Nelson is long, long gone. That would mean someone like Will Hernandez or Isiah Wynn. I'm not sure either of them would be there in round 3.

You really comfortable with McCray as the starting RG?
I think the need right now is depth at OT. I think the Pack are ready to roll with Bulaga and Spriggs at OT and McCray with the Evan's Option at OG. Bulaga will be gone soon and we need a backup or 2 at OT. I would prefer to get one later in the draft and gamble we don't need his services for a couple of years while he develops. More pressing needs like CB, WR and OLB depth should be addressed earlier.

Only OL I'm thinking at pick 14 is Nelson and the is a no-brainer and a minor miracle if he is there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be disappointed if the Packers used a first round pick on the OL, unless it was Nelson. I think they will have plenty of time between now and September to figure out that right side and it shouldn't be a rookie.

Members online

Latest posts