Wishin and Waitin

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARTICLE LINK

Weve been over this countless times and heard stories about it, and heres yet another. It was on the front page of Yahoo! so i thought id post it.
Its a pretty good article, and i think attitude wise, we got a real pro waiting in the wings.

No one knows how he will be when it comes time to play, but i love his patience mixed with a sprinkle of cockiness. Hes got the look and the attitude, lets just hope he has the arm.

Montana - Young
Favre - Rodgers

Waiting his turn.

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
August 6, 2007

More Packers: Backfield in trouble

GREEN BAY, Wis. – It was almost 9:30 p.m. and Aaron Rodgers was the last one on the field. Yet, the masses waited.

More than 100 Green Bay Packers fans, almost 50 yards away, clung to the fences and spilled into the street, quietly watching and waiting. Rodgers knows that feeling – watching and waiting. Across the way, he used the moment to speculate about his future in the eyes of those very fans and his somewhat frustrating existence with this franchise.

"You know, it's funny how things work out," Rodgers said, philosophizing on his awkward existence behind Brett Favre. "I was such a huge Joe Montana fan growing up. And when Joe left for the Chiefs and Steve (Young) took over, I hate to say it, but I really wasn't a 49ers fan anymore. But since I've been in the league, I've become a big Steve Young fan. I always respected his talents, but now that I can really understand what he had to go through as a player and a person."

This is what it sounds like to be a first-round pick and sitting on the bench behind a league deity for the third year in a row. Rodgers says he's not anxious … then talks about being a starter the way a starving man would describe his first bite of filet mignon. He claims he's not discouraged … but later says, "If things don't work out here, they'll work out somewhere."

And because history has taught him so, Rodgers says he fully expects he'll see virtually no action in 2007. Just like last season. Just like the season before that, too. But this time around the mothballing will sting a little more, because for the first time in Rodgers' career, Packers decision makers and Rodgers think he is finally prepared to be the team's starting quarterback.

"I will be ready to take over from day one – in a year, if that's when it happens," said Rodgers, who has played in five games and completed 15 of 31 pass attempts for the Packers. "Who knows? I don't know if that's when it's going to happen. It might be in year five for me. And it might be with another team.

"Hopefully it's in Green Bay."

Not that anyone wants to get carried away with that notion. Like every other quarterbacking icon who has come and gone in league history, nobody wants to be perceived as pushing Favre out the door. Rather, they use code words like "preparation" and "planning." Talk to the people whose job standing will bear the brunt of Favre's eventual departure, notably general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, and they say Rodgers is: 1.) Prepared. 2.) The Post-Favre Plan.

When either of those statements will mean anything is anyone's guess.

"You can plan this whole thing as well as you can, but ultimately, it depends on that iconic player, whether it's Brett Favre or John Elway or whoever," Thompson said. "Whenever he decides that's it for him, then you better have your cards. At certain times, the Packers had a player in place that they felt like could be the successor, but Brett continued to play. Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks. Through the years, there's always been a plan."

And Thompson said at this stage, Rodgers is it unequivocally. Not because they don't have other options, but because the organization has faith that he has become the player they hoped he would be when they drafted him in 2005. Indeed, when it comes to the belief in Rodgers' ability to take over, all hands appear to be on deck. This despite some notion in league circles – and nobody can say where it came from – that Green Bay wasn't sold on Rodgers after McCarthy came aboard before the 2006 season. There were even offseason rumors that Rodgers was on the trade block, and that the Packers were interested in Daunte Culpepper. As it turns out, neither came to fruition.

However, two 49ers sources did tell Yahoo! Sports last season that McCarthy, who was San Francisco's offensive coordinator prior to joining the Packers, played a role in the franchise passing over Rodgers in favor of Alex Smith in the 2005 NFL draft. But McCarthy insists he believes Rodgers has the tools to succeed Favre and be a success in Green Bay.

As for whether the quarterback can handle the fan hangover that will come with the departure of a franchise legend, everyone shrugs. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, who has conferred with Rodgers at offseason golf tournaments over the last two summers, knows precisely what is coming.

"It's as tough as it gets," Shanahan said. "With great players, everybody just remembers the great years. They don't remember the tough times. They remember the Super Bowl wins. They don't remember the tough losses or mistakes. I've seen John Elway and Joe Montana and the guys who followed them. What about what Steve Young went through when Joe left? Steve got booed after two NFC Championship games. That's the nature of this game, and the pressure the next guy has to carry."

McCarthy backed Shanahan's sentiments.

"Brett Favre is part of the fiber of a tradition here," McCarthy said. "He may go down as the greatest Packer ever.

"There's no way to avoid that. We're going through (his retirement). Either it's going to happen next year or in the next few years. Aaron is starting his career in a situation like few guys have ever had to in NFL history. There was the guy who replaced Elway, the guy who replaced Montana, and Aaron is the guy who will replace Brett Favre."

When that will actually happen, well, the franchise is in a collective shrug.

Rodgers might be ready, and Green Bay's coaches and executives might agree, but until Favre no longer wants to be the Packers' starting quarterback, the status quo won't change. But while Rodgers might not know his ultimate fate with this franchise, there are some undeniable facts that define his progression up to this point.

First, coaches and executives say he's a noticeably more polished player now than when he was drafted. His weight is down to a svelte 217. His body fat percentage is at a career-best 10-percent. His arm strength is up, thanks to the same shoulder and core-muscle conditioning that added zip to the ball of Saints quarterback Drew Brees. His mechanics are improved – from his footwork to where he holds the ball in the pocket. And his understanding of the West Coast offense is more complete than it has ever been.

Beyond the fine-tuning of his game, the franchise has been very pleased with the character he's shown while waiting for an opportunity. While Favre has seen the generation gap grow between himself and a roster that continues to get younger, Rodgers has been able to grow close to and mature alongside the team's next generation of core players. Once criticized by scouts as having a needling cockiness that could alienate teammates, there hasn't been a hint of drama as he's been nothing less than amazingly deferential to Favre.

That attitude is no small point. Rodgers is too smart to ever admit it publicly – in fact, he might even deny it – but he and Favre are not fishing buddies. While some media members have played up their relationship, the truth is that they are teammates in the most businesslike fashion. They don't go out of their way to spend quality time together in the offseason. They don't text message. They don't have some Karate Kid style kinship. The reality is that Rodgers is learning from Favre the only way the elder has allowed him to – by watching and listening.

"I think he watches Brett and sees things that he might want to emulate," Thompson said. "Brett is his own man, which is probably more unusual than most cases with iconic quarterbacks. But Aaron is his own man as well. He's very well respected by guys in that locker room. He's worked hard to earn that confidence."

But Rodgers has certainly noticed what is going on around the league. He has watched other young quarterbacks such as Smith, Vince Young, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler walk into starting jobs. Rodger shrugs off those players, calling them "different situations on different teams," but coaches know he's paying attention.

"Trust me, he knows exactly what Alex Smith is doing," McCarthy said. "He knows exactly how Alex Smith is playing and what the statistics are. Those are motivating factors for him – trust me on that."

Eventually, that motivation will play itself out. Until then, Rodgers has finally become the entire contingency plan – the proverbial red button that sits behind glass, waiting to be pushed. What happens when it finally comes about is anyone's guess.

"There's no way you can't be cognizant of the pressure and what this all means," Rodgers said. "I know what's coming. This isn't going to be easy at all. But if I do get the opportunity to start here – and I hope I will – I'm going to be following what will probably be 270 straight starts, a Super Bowl win, three MVPs, an all-time touchdown record and an all-time wins record for a quarterback. It's going to be tough duty."

Particularly now that Rodgers and his supporters feel he's finally ready.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting article. If Favre plays longer than A-Rod's entire contract, I hope he'd still be willing to stay with the Pack.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank You For Posting This Packnic

This is a good read and I would not have found it if not for you and this forum.

Read into this Quote: "I think he watches Brett and sees things that he might want to emulate," Thompson said. "Brett is his own man, which is probably more unusual than most cases with iconic quarterbacks. But Aaron is his own man as well. He's very well respected by guys in that locker room. He's worked hard to earn that confidence."

T.T. Has a plan. I do not think Brett is part of of that plan.

Read between the lines.

R.P.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

This is a good read and I would not have found it if not for you and this forum.

Read into this Quote: "I think he watches Brett and sees things that he might want to emulate," Thompson said. "Brett is his own man, which is probably more unusual than most cases with iconic quarterbacks. But Aaron is his own man as well. He's very well respected by guys in that locker room. He's worked hard to earn that confidence."

Read between the lines.

R.P.
yeah, I think TT completly sold #4 out. Just imange the 2007 Packers with J-walk , who is having a huge training camp(Walker is just owning Champ Baily in practice this season) Green and Whale. The Packers had the nucleous for a championship team And TT let it slip away.
Watch J-Walk, Green, Wahle have huge seasons, all three make the pro-bowl, and packer fans scratch their head and say what happened. :twocents:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Read between the lines.

R.P.
yeah, I think TT completly sold #4 out. Just imange the 2007 Packers with J-walk , who is having a huge training camp(Walker is just owning Champ Baily in practice this season) Green and Whale. The Packers had the nucleous for a championship team And TT let it slip away.
Watch J-Walk, Green, Wahle have huge seasons, all three make the pro-bowl, and packer fans scratch their head and say what happened. :twocents:

Are you serious with this? I know its early for me here (7:19am), but you can't be honest with this.
Walker whined his way out of GB. This is has been hashed a buttload of times already. He's my favorite WR in the NFL and even I admit he's a jerk and should have shut his as up and played and trusted the staff to take care of him.
Wahle, could he adapt to the zone blocking scheme? I think yes. Ted already admitted that was a mistake letting him AND Marco go.
Ahman, no way should we have matched what he got. He got overpaid, BIG TIME.

I do think Ted has a plan and I agree, I don't feel Brett is a huge key in it. I believe him when he says he wants to win now (every GM wants to win now, any idiot knows that much). I'm really curious to see how Ted operates (after Brett retires) in the off season.

Reaction score
:eek:fftopic:

Good article.

I think that Rodgers admitting he can't really be prepared for the pressure of replacing Favre speaks volumes about his maturity in the NFL.

It must have been tough for Rodgers as a 21 year old being put in this situation. As they say, though, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much thanks to Packnic for posting this excellent article from Yahoo Sports. I think Rodgers is handling this situation about as well as he possibly could. And considering his improvement, maybe this transition will not be so traumatic for the franchise.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Not to sound obtuse about this, but has Rodgers been anointed the job because he was a 1st round pick?

To me, it is no different than someone like Dendy waiting his turn to become a starter in this league.

He hasn't been able to prove that he is a better option than Favre, so he waits until he gets his chance.

Why do we seem to want to coddle this guy? Is it true that his confidence is that fragile that we need to feel bad that he is making millions while riding the pine.

Sorry this just struck a nerve...

** edit coddle not cuddle, however by the sounds of it some on this board might want the cuddle... :rotflmao:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to sound obtuse about this, but has Rodgers been anointed the job because he was a 1st round pick?

To me, it is no different than someone like Dendy waiting his turn to become a starter in this league.

He hasn't been able to prove that he is a better option than Favre, so he waits until he gets his chance.

Why do we seem to want to cuddle this guy? Is it true that his confidence is that fragile that we need to feel bad that he is making millions while riding the pine.

Sorry this just struck a nerve...

He is making a lot of money, of course, but the point is that he's in an awkward position. Anyone who plays football on this level has a lot of competitive fire, so it has to be frustrating for him to sit the bench knowing that he is unlikely to start when he's behind one of the best QB's of all time, who also happens to be the most durable QB of all time.

QB is the most important position on a team, and it's typical for teams to groom a young guy to take over the position. It's not like Patrick Dendy, or any other position players, for that matter. A QB is a leader and is the face of the franchise very much in the way that the head coach is. So that's why the franchise and a lot of fans are giving him special treatment. At any time, he could become the most important player on the team. That's not going to happen to Patrick Dendy or anybody else who doesn't play QB.

Pack93z

Reaction score
True the QB is typically the leader and face of the team, however he is another player waiting for his chance to start. Most players have to earn their chance to start and prove they belong. Rodgers hasn't done that yet, period.

Now true, it would take alot to unseat Brett from the starters chair, and to be honest probably no one could. However, he hasn't been dominate in past TC and in his opportunities to play. And in reality, we have no idea if he can take the reigns.

So why coddle the lad, instead make him earn the right to lead the Packers. The Packers are doing a fine job of that themselves by not bringing in any veterans to compete with him. Now the media is going to make it out to sound like "poor" Aaron has to wait.

To his credit, he sound to be handling it properly and has a good prespective on it. Why can't the media have the same. His chance will come.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i see what your saying Pack93... but id rather have a QB that is feeling antsy and feels he deserves the spot, rather than a guy sitting there just taking paychecks and running the second team in practice ya know.

To me all Aaron can do right now.. is work his *** off in the offseason, soak up everything he possibly can from maybe the greatest QB of all time, lead whoever he practices with, stay ready in case something injury wise does happen, SAY THE RIGHT THINGS and be ready come his time....

So far thats what A-rod has done... and i like it.

by the way Ted Thompson sucks.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Rodgers has said he wants to start, but he has to be careful how he words it because if he comes off that he is wanting to push the icon Brett Favre out of GB the fans will turn on him.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Packnic, I agree that Aaron is doing the things the right way and yes I like the suttle cockiness that he seems to have. I like the growth I hear from him this offseason and TC.

The writer here and in other articles make it sound to be so trying for him. To me, it has been a blessing for him to soak it up.

Hey, speaking of that when is pyle comming back? :)

Never said Ted sucks.. Just has a long term plan with growing pains in the middle. I am too competitive for my own good... I want to win right now :) Ya know, away from sports I am laid-back and patient.. in sports... lights out I want to win. Strange.

Reaction score
True the QB is typically the leader and face of the team, however he is another player waiting for his chance to start. Most players have to earn their chance to start and prove they belong. Rodgers hasn't done that yet, period.

I see where you coming from Pack, and that sort of struck a chord with me...

Surely Ted would go out and get someone who would pose some decent competition for Rodgers, after Favre retired.

Handing the job to Rodgers would be unfair, and I doubt Martin or Thompson (the QB) would pose a serious threat to Rodgers.

I mean looking at it right now, it'd be down right stupid to not get some vet in here who could at least stand a realistic chance to go up against Rodgers.

I definitely agree with you that Rodgers should earn a starting spot, and as of now he hasn't done that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:

Are you serious with this? I know its early for me here (7:19am), but you can't be honest with this.
Walker whined his way out of GB. This is has been hashed a buttload of times already. He's my favorite WR in the NFL and even I admit he's a jerk and should have shut his as up and played and trusted the staff to take care of him.
Wahle, could he adapt to the zone blocking scheme? I think yes. Ted already admitted that was a mistake letting him AND Marco go.
Ahman, no way should we have matched what he got. He got overpaid, BIG TIME.

I do think Ted has a plan and I agree, I don't feel Brett is a huge key in it. I believe him when he says he wants to win now (every GM wants to win now, any idiot knows that much). I'm really curious to see how Ted operates (after Brett retires) in the off season.

I feel TT made a mistake in not re-negotiating J-Walk's rookie deal. Walker will be a probowl WR this year as will Wahle in a zone blocking scheme in Carolina. Green will have a huge season.
IMHO Walker will have 1000 yard season and double digit TD as will Green.
You are looking at 2000 yards of offense, and 20 TD's that was let out of GB while you have a HOF QB. Not to mention a pro-bowl gaurd.
If the Packers have a losing season, and Carolina and the 49ers make the playoffs, watch for TT to get the axe!
Now, these players are gone, and I have to live with the team I have, but TT , he had the nucleous for a championship team and let it go. :twocents:
Don't **** on my back and tell me its raining TT

You are wrong. You really need to consider the ramifications of re-doing a rookie contract after only one solid year. He was given a **** load of money on his rookie contract before even wearing a NFL uniform. He should have been more of a man about it, shut up and played and waited to be taken care of. Everyone knew he was/is a helluva talent and the Packers did NOT want to lose him, however they did not want to start an avalance of problems with other rookies who are under contract who in their third year reach the Pro Bowl.

Walker WILL have 1,000 yards receiving, I completely agree (note, potential bias as he is my favorite WR) and probably 12-16 TD's.

Green WILL NOT have 1,000 yard rushing, check that, he MAY have 1,000 but not more than 1,200 and even if he tops that, he is not worth the millions he got. I wanted to retain him, badly, not at a hefty price that he obtained from the Texans.

He did NOT have a nucleus for a championship team. The last 'championship team' we had was back in 2003. We've been in decline since and finally seen some potential for improvement after last years positive move forward.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I definitely agree with you that Rodgers should earn a starting spot, and as of now he hasn't done that.

The next coming of Steve Young, or John Elway or Joe Montana would not 'earn' a starting spot while Brett Favre is a Packer. Of course that is my opinion based on everything I've read, heard and seen. Which is probably a lot more than the "average" Packer fan.

Brett will retire. He will not be supplanted from his starting position. So knocking Rodgers for not being vocal about wanting to push Brett out, I feel is silly. If he did that he'd be lynched! lol

Reaction score
all about da packers said:

The next coming of Steve Young, or John Elway or Joe Montana would not 'earn' a starting spot while Brett Favre is a Packer. Of course that is my opinion based on everything I've read, heard and seen. Which is probably a lot more than the "average" Packer fan.

I agree, but I think I should have re-worded my post to give a clearer picture of what I mean. My bad.

I meant that Rodgers hasn't had the opportunity to make the spot his own yet since Favre has been still around (and he isn't doing too bad).

But with that said, while he has looked good this off-season, that shouldn't mean that he has earned his starting spot once Favre retires.

He should at the very least have competition to push him.

I haven't slept all night, so pardon my muffled explanations.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
...with J-walk , who is having a huge training camp(Walker is just owning Champ Baily in practice this season) Green and Whale. The Packers had the nucleous for a championship team And TT let it slip away.

Walker whined his way out of GB. This is has been hashed a buttload of times already..

Yes, we have rehashed this, zero, and good lord am I tired of hearing how TT sold out Favre, despite the young, talented line

DH, look. I went to Denver Broncos training camp, and yes, JWalk is looking good. Only thing is, he's not owning Champ Bailey. The coaches don't even line up thier own number one against that guy, he's so dominant. If he's owning anyone, its Dre Bly, who just isn't fully grasping the new scheme yet. I'm telling you, first team O runs 20 plays, Walker's lined up on the opposite side of the field than Champ 20 times.

Walker might be good, but aint nobody in the League that can match up w/Champ right now. Nobody.

:twocents:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on, what are we talking about here? Rodgers earning his spot on the depth chart? I'd say yes, hands down, he is earning the backup QB spot. As of this moment, Aaron's #2. He is the second-best QB on this team.

As far as him being handed the starter's role when Favre retires, I say yes, by virtue of him being a first-round pick, he is guaranteed at least a year at the helm. He'll have had at least 3 seasons of learning under his belt, and be receiving a salary worthy of an NFL starter. I'd say that is deserving of a year's(as long as its not atrocious :D) worth of chances.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
dhpackr said:
...with J-walk , who is having a huge training camp(Walker is just owning Champ Baily in practice this season) Green and Whale. The Packers had the nucleous for a championship team And TT let it slip away.

Walker whined his way out of GB. This is has been hashed a buttload of times already..

Yes, we have rehashed this, zero, and good lord am I tired of hearing how TT sold out Favre, despite the young, talented line

DH, look. I went to Denver Broncos training camp, and yes, JWalk is looking good. Only thing is, he's not owning Champ Bailey. The coaches don't even line up thier own number one against that guy, he's so dominant. If he's owning anyone, its Dre Bly, who just isn't fully grasping the new scheme yet. I'm telling you, first team O runs 20 plays, Walker's lined up on the opposite side of the field than Champ 20 times.

Walker might be good, but aint nobody in the League that can match up w/Champ right now. Nobody.

:twocents:

WRONG, GO TO THE BRONCOS WEBSITE. there are photos of walker making catches and articles of Walker owning Baily, that's how good Walker is. Also Javon is very humble when talking to the press and fans. TT messed up plain and simple. end of story
here is the link
and it is one on one
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/07/31/training-camp-day-3-morning-session/

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts