1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin Wolf Hunt...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Okay I have to rant just a little on this topic.. first they spend millions to get the species introduced back into Wisconsin.

Then this species that they had to re-introduce has cost hundreds of thousands of dollars in livestock and removal due to unsafe conditions.

Now they are going to ask if we should have a season for the criters... so was this all just a ploy to collect more revenue from hunting draws and such.

Sometimes the DNR just doesn't make sense in my opinion.. having had a couple of run ins with this animals over the past couple years.. I say they are dangerous in packs and the numbers should be reduced again. One on one they aren't bad.. but a pack and it becomes uncomfortable as all get out. Enough to keep me in my stand until they clear out.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Well wasnt there a lady and daughter or a lady and a dog that got attack just last month?

Maybe DNR didnt think the entire thing thru and thought they wouldnt take off like they have and now adn running scared?

3. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    True...a pack does make one wary. :p

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I wrote to "Wisconsin Outdoor News" paper and they printed it in their paper. Reintroducing a dangerous animal that was wiped out because of how dangerous it is..........yeah, thats real smart thinking. My take is it's the animal rights people that wanted wolves brought back, so that they could get rid of deer hunters. Thye figured wolves would keep the deer population under control. Of course, wolves don't just eat deer. They kill small animals, livestock, pets, whatever they can catch. When their prey animals get too low, whats NEXT on their menu? Human children? I thought it was STUPID to bring them back. Now that they are here, we will never be rid of them.
    Way to go, "Department of No Reality".

5. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We have several packs of wolves in Western Montana that roam around. Some livestock was killed but not many ranchers are complaining. The Fish and Game people came up with the brilliant idea of dressing up some visiting Minnesotans in red dresses and bonnets and setting them out in the mountains and valleys.

Bingo....no more livestock taken. And no more Minnesotans. Took care of two problems at once.

We actually are more wary of montain lions around us. They are solitary and sneaky and can appear out of nowhere. We've had several around our house and when they are on the prowl everyone gets their dogs in quick.

6. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm more scared of mountain lions than wolves.

7. Fuzznuts

Fuzznuts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The problem isn't with the Wolves...

It's with the "Welfare farmers" and "Welfare Ranchers" who want a Government handout when a few of their "stock" get reduced. They're the ones that scream the loudest...and also blame deaths of their stocks on "Wolves" when they may have died by other means....

These animals lived everywhere without problem before "farmers" and "ranchers" came along with their hands out for a little government welfare, and your tax dollars.

Before that, they claimed it was the "Injuns" that killed their livestock. ..

Pure ignorance....

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, but i disagree. Not all farmers are "welfare" farmers. Many of them are honest hard working people, that can watch their valuable assets get torn to shreds by a pack of wolves. What do you think they are more likely to go after? Wild deer, that can run fast, or fenced in livestock that are easy picken's? Plus, the DNR doesn't just hand out checks, they send wardens out to check the kill sites, to see how legit they are. Read some of the reports and see for yourself. Or is it easier just to say "Oh its just the welfare farmers" then to check some facts? Believe me.....if it was YOUR livelyhood getting attacked, i'm sure you would look at it differently. Are there some bad farmers that would try to pull stuff like that? I'm sure there are........but to throw out a blanket statement like that is untrue and unfair to these hard working people.
    Wolves lived here before without problems..........of course that was before "man" moved in and changed things forever. But we ARE here, and times have changed. Thanks to "evil man" being here, the deer herd is larger and stronger then it has ever been in recorded time.
    Wolves are large, vicious predators. They kill........anything they can. I have seen photos of a wolf that litterally took several hours to eat a white tail deer that was alive through the whole encounter. Check it out if you don't believe me. The photos and story were in "Wisconsin Outdoor News" a few months ago. Wolves are killing machines, and sooner or later they will attack and kill humans. Why they brought them back here is beyond me.
    "Say......I know.........we have a higher human population then ever, so lets reintroduce a vicious animal that just 100 years ago we paid money to people to kill!"
    Yeah..........doesn't that sound like a bright idea??? :roll:

9. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Ignorance.. oh boy.

First, farming is a business just as any other, Cows along with machinery are assets of said business. However unlike another business, insurance on your cattle without an added rider (most don't offer) on the policy will not cover loss due to predatory animals. So said wolf comes into the pasture and kills a $1000 dollar animal and any potential revenue said animal may provide in the case of a dairy farm, business sustains a straight loss.

Fine enough, all businesses have losses you say, however most can't afford to carry the coverage to at least retain a replacement for named loss.

Second, the DNR has been very strict on protecting these predators, so now said farmer can't protect his investment because he can't eliminate the cause unless they are in the direct act of killing his cattle. No insurance and can't eliminate the threat, what should said farmer do in a market that is very tight to begin with. State re-introduced these animals so shouldn't that same party be liable? Same DNR spends millions to bring this predator back into ecosystem, direct cause and effect.

The same government pays farmers for crop damage due to Bears, Deer and other wild game, so what makes this different?

Step into the business of farming for a week, then come out and dare to say the term "welfare farmer"... they do more work in a single day than most do in a week. Seven days a week.. talk about ignorance.

10. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont get em arounf Milwaukee but up north I heard it is becoming a big problem. I hate the DNR.

11. Tylaa

Tylaa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah up here there becoming more common. A couple months ago while Deer Hunting season we ended up shooting one. I don't know if it was legal for us to do it, but hell, we did it:p

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    you shot a wolf hybrid :p

I recall hearing bout it..Oneida area??

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    How DARE you attack his post with......uh.....FACTS like that!!!
    Good post Pack93z. I'll tell you, farming is a thankless job. Thats why farms are disappearing. Kids grow up on a farm, and can't wait to get away from it. Farming controls your life. Animlas have to be fed everyday, whether you are sick, or want a vacation, they have to be tended too. Crops have to be planted and taken care of. Yeah..............those "welfare farmers" are on EASY street. :roll:
    Like was said...........ignorance.....PURE ignorance.
    The state forces a vicious animal, that NO ONE but animal rights activists wanted back here, and we are supposed to just let them kill off livestock, and people's pets, and decimate whitetail fawns every spring and not speak up. Up in northern Wisconsin i have heard countless stories where hunters once saw alot of deer, now seen non. But they DO see plenty of wolves. A friend of mine had a pack around his treestand all morning. Of course, he never saw a deer. Wolves will wipe out all small animals too.
    But we are not supposed to care about that, right? Animal rights people think all we have to do is bring back wolves, and end hunting, and the woods will be like the movie "Bambi" where all the animlas will live in peace. Of course, in REAL life, "Mr. Owl" wouldn't be sitting on a branch talking to "Thumper"........he would be flying off with a shredded "Thumper" in his talons, where he would then tear "Thumper" into little bite size pieces for his youngin's.

14. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    No it isn't legal unless said wolf is a immediate threat. The nasty part of this is the tracking collars, they monitor the wolf's heart rate and location.. so if you shoot a wolf with a collar they know it.

Park Falls had a big issue with this and a couple of the monitored wolves were shot. One gent recieved a 10 grand fine I remember hearing.. not good at all.

15. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    I lived on a farm until I was 18 year old, there was nothing welfare about it. You worked your *** off seven days a week, made improvements and still watched the milk per 100 gallons decrease every year or stay firm. But go to the grocery store and a gallon continues to increase.

Farming is a thankless profession.. good life just not very profitable.