1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin Bow Season Open

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by scharles, Sep 11, 2006.

1. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody kill something please. And yeah Cheesy, I kinda knew some of the stuff you talked about, but never really thought of it like that.

2. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Be patient little buddy, can't get reckless and take a shot without confidence. It is bowhunting, not the easiest form of hunting, takes much patience. I'm not throwing in the towel yet...

3. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw 3 deer on the top of a car the other day. One of them had a plastic bag over it's head. Strange.

4. BlueMoose

BlueMoose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Daaang. I'm making my first trip to Lambeau this weekend (from Mississippi). Wish I'd have planned things better so I could have squeezed in a few days of Wisconsin bowhunting. It would be nice to bowhunt in cold weather for a change.

TM

5. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :agree: Might have turned into an expensive trip though, with the license and all... along with Packer tickets, but would have been worth it :thumbsup:

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
  7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah....if i'm not mistaken, a non resident bow license is $160. Not cheap. But really, it's reasonable if you have the dough! LOL!

8. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2

Cheesy, I am ashamed of you.

Shouldn't your last sentance read: But really, it's reasonable if you have the doe! ?

It is not like you to miss those cheesy opps. I think your move has ended up with some mold on the ol'e cheesy poot!

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I guess NOW i should say........"DOH!!!!"
    I'm definitly NOT in form anymore.......this whole thing has drained me of most of my "Cheeseyness".........hopefully someday it will return!

10. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Just let some milk sit out. Youll be back in no time.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I wish it WAS that easy!!! :kickcan:

12. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Came away empty handed again this weekend, but did accomplish some good things. Moved one stand location on one of our properties to an area where we've had a lot of activity with a particular mature buck which we've gotten on film. It's now about 15 yards off a scrape line and an area where there are numerous rubs, around 8-10 rubs. Very good location. We also hung another stand on our other property in an area where we've noticed the deer traveling, including two large bucks. I didn't sit this morning because of all the scent we layed down when scouting yesterday, figured it would be the better move. I'm more than likely sitting all day on Friday and possibly Saturday. Excited to say the least...

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    With all the cold weather we have had already, i'm ready to get out in the woods! 3 weeks to go!

14. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got a deer with a bow this year? Good luck to all the deer hunters hope you guys have a great year...

15. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    yercell - please re-post those pictures - don't think too many people got to see them.

16. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, Yercell I wanna see em'. Idk what happened to mine though, I don't think they removed themselves...

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Just 10 days till i head up north for the big hunt! I sighted in my rifle last saturday at the local gun club. It was hitting about 5 inches high at 100 yards. So i set it to be 2 inches high at 100 yards, so i should be good out to 200 yards.
    They also had clay pidgeons set up on a hill 100 yards away, and the gun club guy said "Why don't you see if you can hit one?" So i blew one apart! Felt good to fire off a few shots. Now i am confident that if a chance comes by, i can make the shot.
    I shot a nub buck at 130 yards last year, a heart/lung shot.
    Can't wait!!!

18. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I shall repost my story and photos again, so here they are....

Well Saturday morning at 10:15 I filled my buck tag with a nice deer. Cold morning and had only seen one deer and that was before shooting light. My dad and I had decided to leave at 10 or maybe sit a little longer if the deer were moving. Well they weren't, and I was freezing, was ready to leave at 9, so I was basically counting the minutes til 10. Well 10 came and went and I decided I would wait until I saw him coming before I would start packing up and climb down. We were only sitting about 100 yards apart, but couldn't see eachother, and at about 10:14 am I saw a doe running down the logging road headed right towards me, with two deer hot on her tail, and all I could see were antlers. Well the logging road curves around and I sit off it about 25 yards, and the doe cut off the loggin road right towards me, and she brought him right too me, about a 15 yard shot, clean pass through and he took off down into the bottom and the doe and other buck, a smaller 8 pointer, wheeled around and went back where they came from. Well I looked at my watch, 10:15, and oh was I filled with excitement. I was pumped... sat down and was going to wait a half hour and if my dad wasn't coming I was gonna go get him. Well I looked back down the logging road and see my dad coming, look at my watch, 10:17. Just must have been my day... If I was out there by myself I probably would have gotten down at 9 and headed out, thankfully I wasn't, and thankfully my dad took his time when getting down and heading over. Well the buck ended up running about 200 yards when he finally crashed. What a season it has been...

In all, 13 scoreable points with a 17 inch inside spread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    geez - i'm such a ditz - i meant YOUR pictures, scharles!! my bad. yercell didn't post any that i know of.

anyway, thanks for re-posting them, scharles. :D

20. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That was photoshoped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol just kidding :rotflmao:

That is a really nice deer you got yourself congrats!!!!!!!!

21. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, nice job. I'm sure it was really tough to bag that thing, I mean it was already bleeding out of it's mouth. Step your game up. SMH. HA!

22. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    YERCELL you have no idea how tough it really is to get a mature animal like this. I consider myself very lucky, being able to hunt the quality properties that I do, which has given me the oppotunity to harvest this animal. It takes time, preparation and knowledge, with a little bit of luck. Maybe one day you'll have the respect and passion for something similar to what I have for hunting, and then being able to succeed at it, man I haven't had feelings greater than the ones I had when I took this amazing specimen.

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Geez........i have never seen anything CLOSE to that size out in the woods. Of course, all i have is public land to hunt on. That would be my DREAM buck for sure! Your VERY fortunate at such a young age to kill something that size!
    But you know what? It's takes EVERYTHING to come together to get one like that. Lots of luck, but in the end, lots of SKILL! You have to be a good shot, and not get "buck fever" to get one that size! You made it ALL come together! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :thumbsup:
    You know what i have learned thats most important over all my years of hunting? You can't get one if your sitting in the house! And the worst season can turn around in a few seconds of thrilling excitment! When most of the hunters are going in for lunch, i stay out in the woods. It seems thats when i see alot more action.
    CONGRATS again my friend!!!

24. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    scharles, you should be one of those hunting guides or one of those dudes on TV. I saw some guy go to Argentina just to hunt and some other dude was hunting like ram or something in the mountains. Looked like a pretty amazing animal, but then the guy was thanking it after he shot it. Seemed a little odd, but the animals were great looking.

25. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice deer Sharles!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!