1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Wisconsin Bow Season Open

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by scharles, Sep 11, 2006.

1. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Get in line. I got dibs.

2. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    YERCELL if you really want some I can get you some, but I have a feeling you don't. BUT if you do you'll have to come over and help cut it up, cause I'm not cuttin' it up for you assquatch.

3. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a lady, I don't prepare food in any way, shape or form. I mean, you have more advantages than I had when I was growing up. Well, that's not exactly true. You've had the same amount of advantages, which is a hell of a lot of advantages. So clearly, I won't be helping.

4. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What does cutting up a deer have to do with being a lady? My mom never helps cut it up, it's the guys jobs. I guess you'd rather spend some money to take it to the locker plant, which we do, but when you get more than a couple deer it becomes very expensive, and it's not hard to do one your own, just becomes tedious. BUT I don't think you'll be getting any YERCELL, since you can't get you're hands dirty, and you really don't make a damn bit of sense, I'm thoroughly confused.

5. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't need to pay, seeing as I don't hunt. Therefore I have no quarry. And did I say I'm not a lady? I meant I'm lazy.

6. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that really what you meant? I don't think you would have made a type-o like that, I think you're lying. I think you really meant what you typed. Are you a sexist YERCELL? lol

7. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am. How do they have time to vote when I'm hungry and have dirty clothes?

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL! How true!.....the REAL reason is.....because THEN they would have to give up THEIR cars! And i can't see PETA members WALKING everywhere they go!LOL!
    Oh....and PETA stands for "People Eatting Tasty Animals!" :wink:

And.....my Mom was a GREAT deer butcher! I'm not kidding! My brother and I would skin it, quarter it, and bring it into the kitchen, and Mom would cut it up. We would help package it. It was amazing watching her work with a knife!
    I wish i would have learned how she did it, as i could have used that knowledge many times. I just always thought Mom would be around.

9. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have dragged a deer out of a woods, I have skinned it, gut it, and butchered it...made my own hamburger, jerky etc....I have lived with a hunting family all my life, well except for now..lol...and guys would look at me and think "Wow" she dont look like someone that would do any of those things...

I have also worked in maintenace and used to wear a tool belt...I would get looks wearing one of those to..lol..most people here think I was born and raised in Southern California with the long blonde hair...oh well nope I wasnt,,I am a country girl and proud of it...

See cheesy would fit right in California with his long blonde hair...lol...

10. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    That's it! your new name is Butch!!

11. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    and yercell is now dubbed...Shaniqua!!! ;)

12. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...you guys talking about deer or something else?!?!? :shock:

13. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    BUTCH??? LOL....WELL I COULD BE CALLED WORSE..LOL

14. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So has anyone killed anything yet? Seems to be rather uneventful so far.

15. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I went out this morning and yesterday evening, seeing deer, which is good. Things are only going to get better, as the rut is nearing. yercell, I haven't shot anything because I haven't had anything big enough, close enough. Bow hunting takes quite a bit of patience, and the fact that 59C is a EAB unit this year, I'm being a little more selective or picky, and knowing the size of some of the bucks around, I'm not going to lose patience and take something sub par.

Put out the trail camera on our lease, different property than what the other photos have been on, and had one nice buck show up on two different nights...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody ever feel bad killing something like that? I know about CWD and stuff and that hunting can be a good thing, but it's not like they've done anything to deserve it. I think it'd be cool if one of those bucks just got to be huge.

P.S. I'm not against hunting at all, I was just curious.

17. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yercell, you and scharles know each other in person?

18. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, we're best friends from hs.

19. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm sure some people have and do feel bad for killing something. Some people will shoot a doe if she is with a fawn, and some won't. The fawn will survive, it will be alright, just some people don't like to leave a fawn without its mother. When you say they haven't done anything to deserve it, well they do but they don't. The zone which I hunt is in Earn A Buck, which means you have to shoot a doe before you are able to take an antlered deer, this is their attempt to control the herd size. A major reason why we were pushed into EAB was because of the insurance companies push due to the number of the number or car kills in the area. About the deer getting huge, thats the excitement hunting provides, you never know what is really out there. There are always deer that make it through their whole life without being taken, and after 5 or 6 years they start to decline, the mass of their antlers don't but the tine length and other elements. They turn into real beasts once they get that old, its rare for them to make it that long, but they do.

20. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good info. You said something about the insurance companies before, but I idn't really get what you meant. I think you cleared it up pretty well here.

21. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You know what? When i hit an animal with my car, i feel terrible! It's a totally different thing. One is done on purpose, the other an accident.
    I have spent time in the woods after a bad winter, and have seen the deer that died from starvation. They "yard up"in groups when the weather gets bad, and get trapped by the snow in a small area. They eat everything, bark off trees, anything, but end up a long slow death. NOT pretty. Deer do what all animals do, they keep reproducing. There is no way to help keep the population under control except by killing and using some of them for food. Ohterwise "nature" will take over with IT'S population control, which will be disease or starvation. Which could virtually wipe out most of the deer in the state. So, either we try to keep the deer population under control, or stand by and watch the results, which i guarentee won't be pretty or humane. All the deer i have killed except one, died within litterally seconds. I won't take a shot unless i can be sure it will be a quick kill. I have passed up many deer for that reason.
    The DNR says we have about one and a half million to 1.7 million deer in the state this hunting season. The hunters killed i believe over 400 thousand deer last year. Now, had there not been hunting, add those to the total, plus how many more fawns would have been born, and there would be probably 2.3 million or more deer right now! Thats with only ONE year without deer hunting. If it was a mild winter, and somehow the majority of those deer lived, how many would there be the next year? There would be well over 3 million, and the state just can't carry that many deer. There isn't the food for them. Thats now just 2 years without hunting. It would be a setup for mass starvation or disease.
    Whew.......I'm tired!!!LOLOLOL!!!

22. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Great post Cheesy Poot. I have never looked at it from that angle nor with those numbers

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you Trippster!
    I know....it's rather mind boggling if you think it all the way through. Just a couple years, and it would be a set up for a real bad thing. As it is now, 40 to 50 thousand deer are reported killed by motor vehicles in Wisconsin every year. Can you imagine if the population of deer soared like that, how many more would be pushed into "metro" areas, and how many more would be hit by cars? In Port Washington, the deer go into people's yards and eat their flowers and other plants. There's too many deer there already, but being a metro area, they arn't hunted. It kills alot of the plants, and also takes food away from the smaller animals, like rabbits.

24. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Time for another update.

Just a little background, I hunt on two different properties, 48 acres that my dad owns, which we only bow hunt. A section of this land was clear cut this past spring/summer.We also have 120 acres that we lease, that we primarily rifle hunt but also bow hunt some which had a section of around 65 acres that was clear cut 2 summers ago.

Well I sat Friday morning and evening and Sunday morning. Friday morning I saw 3 bucks, two small six points, and a nice 8 point, that I would have passed up had he gotten into range, although I was debating for a while, but he never got into range. He's definately going to be a shooter next year, if he makes it through the seasons. One of the six points came into range, walked right under my stand, other one didn't come within range though. Friday evening my dad and I sat on the lease, I saw one deer, close to dark, and was a ways away, tried to get the bino's on it but couldn't. He acted as though he was a mature buck, and was a very large bodied deer, but because of the timber and the distance along with the low light I was unable to get even a decent look at his headgear.
    Saturday afternoon/evening, went out to the lease again to cut some trails, man had the brush grown up this summer. We had to cut through the tops to make an ATV trail through the bottom, and hopefully a trail the deer will start using, now that the rut is closing in. We also hung a stand in a very good location, on a 40 that we virtually have never hunted, gun or bow. With all the sign it looks promising, but we really don't know whats been hangin' in there. However I do have a lot of confidence in that stand once the rut shifts into high gear. When we were cutting the trail we came upon the remains of a nice 8 point buck, that had some velvet on his antlers so he'd been shot early bow season, and went to the thick brush of our lease to die. Thats the second nice deer we've found dead in that area in the past 5 years, it's really discouraging, but I guess it happens everywhere.
    Sunday morning I sat on my dads land again, saw 9 deer, a doe and 2 fawns at around 8:20, then another doe and fawn with a large 8 point on their tail. I really hoped this mature buck would have given me a shot, but he was about 50-60 yards away. I was a bit dissappointed because this deer was wounded, limping badly. I could see on his right hind quarter that he had been arrowed. He looked like he was using it fine, with a limp but he was using the leg. I hope he sticks on our land and maybe next weekend I'll get a shot. I later saw 2 does and a fawn after I'd gotten down out of my stand. Overall a pretty good weekend, and can tell the rut is about to pick up, next weekend should be a good one.

25. Heatherthepackgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Good post Cheesy!!! Also to ad, if there wasn't no hunting deer in some areas so many peoples lives maybe in danger also. Lots of auto accidents each year are caused by hitting deer on the roadways...