1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wisconsin Bow Season Open

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by scharles, Sep 11, 2006.

1. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I only DREAM of seeing a buck like that. It's true, if you let a buck go by, hoping it will get bigger next year, someone else will get it. There is no trophy management on public land. It's a free for all. Last year, i hunted 40 hours. 4 days, 10 hours each, and saw TWO deer total. I got the one.

2. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this evening was my first time spent in the stand. Saw 7 deer, in 4 groupings. I saw an 8 pointer at around 6:10, a doe and two fawns shortly after, then two does at about 6:50 and then another doe at 6:55. This was a pretty encouraging night, got to see my first deer of the season, get the blood flowing, and actually got out in the woods. Ready for more...

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh man........gotta keep this thread going till the November gun hunt! Got my huntin' blood boiling! :D
    When i first started hunting, it was not rare to see 30 to 40 deer on opening day! Most would be does, but just SEEING that many made it exciting!
    2 years ago, i saw a beautiful 12 point buck, and he was only about 70 yards from me. I was sitting on an old one lane logging road. The problem was, because i'm disabled, my brother in law always checks up on me several times a day, and wouldn't you know, he was driving the van down the road when the buck went across the road! He felt SO bad when he got up to me! I just told him "Don't worry about it! It's not like you KNEW the buck was gonna come at that time!" But he STILL felt bad! It was just one of those things!

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This doesn't pertain to Wisconsins bowseason but here it is anyway.

Sept 23 and24th Michigan had their annual youth rifle hunting weekend.
    I'm happy to report that my 14 year old son bagged his first buck of his young hunting career on Saturday evening.
    He bagged a nice spikehorn and is one proud boy.

I don't know how to post pics on this forum or I would post his pic with his deer on here.

My dad, myself, my oldest son and now my youngest son all bagged our first buck with the same rifle.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey....ANY deer hunting stories are good in here!
    Please congratulate your son on his first deer for me!
    I hunted for 13 years before i got my first deer.

6. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear! Theres nothing like the feeling when getting your first buck, and sharing that with your father. I'm sure you're one proud dad as well! Congrats...

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My first deer was a small doe. But i'll tell you, it was still one of the biggest deer i ever got! It was wierd curcumstances. I was sitting against a big tree, and i heard a noise behind me. I leaned over to my right, and there it was, only about 40 yards away! It saw me, so all i could think of to do was close my eyes, to break eye contact. If i would have moved, she would have been gone! Well, i peeked out, and she settled down and took 2 steps, putting her head behind a tree. Now, i have NEVER shot my rifle left handed, but i knew i couldn't try to turn around, so i put the rifle to my left shoulder, centered the crosshairs, and pulled the trigger. Dropped her on the spot!

8. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, now thats skill. I would never attempt to shoot my rifle left-handed. But about closing your eyes, i find myself squinting a lot while bow hunting because thats the easiest thing for the deer to pick up on, appearance wise. It seems like when they pick you off they're lookin right in your eyes. Its hard to get the upperhand when it comes to deer hunting...

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's funny, cause i never thought i could shoot lefty, sitting on the ground, leaning around a big tree. But i DID it! And you know what? If I had felt at ALL that i couldn't have made a clean kill, i wouldn't have shot! But i had the crosshairs right on the kill zone, so i figured the bullet is going to travel the same no matter which way i shoot.
    Once when i was hunting on my friend's Dad's place in Upper Michigan, i was sitting in a ground blind, and had 2 does come so close to me that i litterally could stick the rifle barrel out the window and poke the deer with it! Now THATS close! I didn't have a doe permit, so i just let them walk away. But it was fun just to have them that close to me!

10. Packerbacker04

Packerbacker04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You guys should come up to the U.P. I got a camp up there in Foster city. I also hunt down here in Mount pleasant. I hunted last year in Ohio that was terrible hunting down there.

11. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you get cold weather and big snow up in the U.P., but do some monsters come with it? I'd love to hunt up North at least once, whats the biggest deer you've harvested there?

12. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Bow season opens 1 October in the WMU I hunt in. Shotgun and muzzleloaders are open 6 November this year (my birthday... lol). Went out with the boys for the southern Ontario duck season opener. We got 21 between the 4 of us at Presqu'ile Provincial Park last Saturday. Here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So this was my second weekend in the woods, and man were the deer active. I sat Saturday morning, in the stand by 6:15. Saw a nubbin buck and another fawn, came out of the woods at 9:30. Then my dad and I went and put up another stand and didn't end up sitting Saturday evening. We did sit Sunday morning though, and it was pretty exciting. Again, was in the stand at 6:15, saw my first deer of the day at 7:30. The nubbin buck and fawn came running down a logging road to where my stand was, then settled in and were eating on the tops and other greenery. While those two were getting closer I saw a doe trotting from the same direction, stopping frequently and looking back. She however didn't provide me with a shot, stayed on the other side of the tops. Not more than two minutes after that doe had caught up with her fawns I saw the silhouette of a large deer from the direction the others had come, and as it continued i saw the rack. It was about 100 yards from my stand, the 10 pointer I'd gotten on the trail camera several times. As luck goes he cut down into the woods and did not follow the others down the loggin road. Once the rut starts though, he won't be ditchin that doe, and will hopefully give me a shot. Well to make a long story short I saw 10 deer this morning, 5 does, 4 fawns and that buck, it was one of the most enjoyable days I've had bowhunting, the deer were naturally active, something you see during the rut, not normally one Oct. 1st. My dad also harvested a doe this morning to take care of his Earn A Buck. Great morning, excited for the rest of the season.

14. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL. I love how you call it harvesting. That may be the case, I just think it's funny.

15. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea man, harvesting. Have to get the herd under control is what they tell us. Should be good eatin' though, nice sized, corn fed doe.

16. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought deer were carnivores.

17. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    They are. They eat children. That's why we need to control the population. ;)

18. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You have that problem in Canada too?

19. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Up here in Canada, deer are almost as thick as jackalopes. :p

20. Packerbacker04

Packerbacker04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah we had a snow storm the first day of deer season last year but nothing when I got home. Lots of deer up in the U.P, though

21. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen like three dead deer in the past week, all on the side of the road. How come PETA doesn't try to protect the innocent deer that frolic along the roadways?

22. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats pretty much why my section, 59C, is an Earn A Buck zone, because of the push by insurance companies on the state that the herd is over-populated, all the car kills are upsetting them I guess...

23. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    7 pointer...one brow tine is just a tad under to be called a point..

[​IMG]

also have a 6 pointer, but that one is not on a plaque..

Have a 11 pointer that my dad turned into a 7 pointer by just shooting at all he could which was the horns..

24. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tonight I actually picked up my shoulder mount of my rifle kill last year from the taxidermist, I'll post some pictures as soon as I can get one.

25. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever you nab a deer...send me some venison since I don't hunt but loooove that deer meat! :wink: