1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Wisconsin Bow Season Open

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by scharles, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Wisconsin Bow Season opens Saturday

Scharles don't worry about the city boy playing photo geek.
    I always loved venison but it;s got to be made just right. Had one bad experiance last year when somehow a guy managed to get hair in it. Now I'm country and all but C'mon.
    Cheesy how much $$ to tailgate with you if you cook some of that up?
    Anyone ever made bear sausage? I got some last year and wasn't my thing. I'm not sure if it wasn't made right or if it's just not good

2. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Cdnfavrefan, where are you from? My grandpa goes to a place in the UP that makes bear/duck/venison sausage, beef jerky, etc. It's awesome stuff.

3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

He's from Winnipeg Manitoba kmac.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

It can be very difficult to get all the hair out. Theres a meat shop right down the road from us that butchers deer, so i take it there. When i open a package, i inspect the meat, clean off any hair, and trim off the tallow. Fat on venison isn't good like it is on beef. Trust me, you have to be VERY diligent to make sure its all cleaned off.
    Now, CDN, i don't have any left in the freezer! Ate it all up already!
    I've never had bear, but i'd like to try it sometime. I had porcupine once, and it was not too bad, not great though. And you couldn't reheat it.....it tasted like pine needles!
    I have found that venison doesn't reheat well either. It gets tough and dried out fast. So i only cook up how much we are gonna eat at the time.
    I like to cook, and of course my wife likes that!

5. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I was a bow hunter and come from a deer hunting family, but I will always prefer beef over venison, maybe its because I ate so so much of it, and when we had venison in the freezer (alot of it) I was made NOT to buy beef, so I craved it....we also used to butcher our own deer, and make our own hamburger and jerky..

The only other wild food I have eaten would be rabbit, thats really good if you like alot of widdle bones, you do have to cook it along time, I think anything that is wild you have to cook for a very long time....

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

I used to make "tree rat" stew. I made it once, and didn't tell my wife what it was..............she really liked it! Then i told her what it was........she looked at me like THIS: :shock: But then she got over it, and we had it MANY times after that.

(In case you don't know......it's squirrel stew!!!) :wink:

7. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Venison tips over egg noodles is my personal favorite.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

Dang.......I'm getting HUNGRY now!!!

9. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I've got a neighbour like that, eats anything he gets his gun on. Squirrel, pigeons etc. I trapped a skunk yesterday maybe I should bring that to him.
    My uncle raises ostriches and that meat is very good. Taste like roast beef
    Work on a cattle farm so it's nice to eat something else then beef sometimes

10. NiVeK

NiVeK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

YA! I don't hunt either, but all my friends do. I loooove venison...hook me up!

11. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Hey MSN sucks, check you PM.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

Am I the only one that caught that??? Think about it..........you work on a cattle farm, you say it's nice to eat something other then beef........so you eat OSTRICH........which TASTES like roast beef!!!LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Now THAT is FUNNY!!!!LOLOLOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

:oops: You are a wise one Cheesy. I only had ostrich once and was just saying I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. Even though it taste like roast beef it still has it's own flavor but everyone always asks what something strange taste like and it's usually roast beef or chicken. I guess I was thinking of some other meats I like, like sausage and ham. Sausage, ham and bacon all from one animal? Must be a Super Animal. LOL. :-?

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

I didn't mean anything bad by it! It just tickled my funny bone is all!
    Your right.......i always here people say "It tastes like chicken" when describing alot of different meats.
    When i was a kid, we were so poor, that we owned ONE pig. So, in the morning, my Mom would take a cheese slicer out to the barn, and slice off a few pieces of bacon, then bandage him up. We had only ONE chicken too..........so for lunch Mom would make us some chicken soup. She would boil some water, then walk the chicken through it. :shock: :wink:

15. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

:lol: ROFL Cheesy maybe I'll have to send you a batch of Prairie Oysters :wink:
    It's a big delicusy in some places

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

"Prairie Oysters??" Now....i don't know what those are.......but my GUESS would be some kind of animal testicles. Am i right???

17. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

You got it. (Bull's balls) I knew you weren't one of the city people to fall for that. MY neighbour actually says his wife fries them up just right, but he's a little NUTTY :lol:

18. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

Oh man.....i'd have to be VERY hungry to eat one of those! Fortunatly, i have yet to find myself THAT hungry! (Hope i never do!) :shock: :lol:

Hey Scharles........did you get anything bow hunting yet?
    Did you see many deer???
    Don't leave me hanging now!!

19. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Haha, man, I didn't even get out. I was rather upset. But I'll let you know how this weekend goes...

20. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Cheesy or Scharles what's the biggest mount you've ever got? I wish I could lie but I've only got a 6 point buck yet.

21. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I shot a 13 point buck opening day of last year's rifle season. I've had it mounted but haven't gotten the mount back from the taxidermist, should be coming soon though!!!

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

My "biggy" is also a 6 pointer, but he has no brow tines. If he did, he would have been an 8. He has a 15inch inside spread, and weighed 165 pounds dressed. I got him, the doe that was running with him, a nubbin buck and another doe all on opening morning 1999 before 8:30 am. It was the best day of hunting i ever had, or probably will ever have!

23. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Well being that you hunt public land I'd say thats a trophy buck. Its very hard to get a good setup and establish some consistancy on public land. I know of places where there are hunters every hundred yards. When you're in that situation its pretty much luck, being in the right spot at the right time, but its more than likely not like that where you hunt, if you said you hunt by Hatfield. The toughest thing with public land is that if you let a smaller buck go, someone else will more than likely shoot it, so there isn't much of a chance for one to develop... But that sounds like quite the morning, it was also the year of my second hunting season...

24. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Ya that's the one thing I couldn't believe the first time I came to a Packer game. From the highway could see hunters every couple yards and right by the highway. Obviously some of your hunting laws are different then ours

25. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some more trail camera pictures for you guys, two are of a buck from before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: Not photoshopped geeksquad.