1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Wisconsin Badgers ( I Have First Topic Ya ME!!)

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by PackerLegend, Oct 25, 2006.

1. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Badgers are 7-1 and are now ranked 17

GO BADGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This team has come together much quicker than I thought they would. They are extremely young at RB, WR, TE and they have players at those positions playing like upperclassmen.

The defense has also stepped it up a notch from last year.

The new coaching staff seems to be ab le to make good game plans, have in game adjustments, and goes for the kill when they have an opponent down. Barry seemed to play with and keep the opponents in the game too often.

With the way the schedule sets up for the rest of the year, at worst they should have 3 losses, but I would not be surprised with 1 or 2 and a very nice bowl game.

3. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    correct me if I am wrong, but haven't they only played one decent team and got spanked?

What is the combined record of the teams they have beat?

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Interesting~~ there is an article on jsonline aobut this very thing..

here are some things you asked and some other things..

UW has played just one team currently ranked in the polls, Michigan, and it is possible that number won't change until the bowl game.

Second, several Big Ten teams have reshaped their rosters with young players and are typically struggling. The league is very strong at the top but weaker at the bottom than in past seasons.

~~~

The 14-point loss in the Big Ten opener at Michigan revealed UW's potential and that loss looks even better almost five weeks later. Michigan (8-0, 5-0) has climbed to No. 2 in the Bowl Championship Series standings, behind No. 1 Ohio State (8-0, 4-0), a team UW has the misfortune of missing this season.

As well as UW has played in its current four-game winning streak, outscoring its opponents by a combined 165-41, the fact UW was within striking distance of Michigan in the fourth quarter should tell voters what they need to know about this team.

That four-quarter slugfest was no fluke and UW isn't that far behind the best two teams in the Big Ten, though Iowa will have something to say about who finishes No. 3 in the league when it plays host to UW on Nov. 11.

~~~~~
    24-3 victory at Purdue, UW held the Boilermakers 30.1 points below their scoring average and limited their passing attack, No. 4 in the nation at the time, to a season-low 187 yards. UW has allowed just two touchdown passes, both at Michigan, and has since defended 124 passes without surrendering the end zone.

~~~
    I dont know about anyone else, but if you hold the #4 passing attack to a season low that is impressive, not to merntion holding them 30 points BELOW their scoring average has to be nothing short of outstanding..

A poll there asks are they over rated, under rated or rated perfect..1700 people and around 45% voted either under rated and about 40% ranked just right

5. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the schedule has been favorable, and no they did not get spanked. The Michigan game on the road was competitive for 3 quarters and ended with a 14 point loss.

The schedule will continue to be favorable, with a home game v Penn State and away v Iowa being the most difficult on paper.

Again, very young at skill positions save QB. New HC and a number of assistants. I am happy. :thumbsup:

6. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    8-1 w/ PSU upcoming. PSU's O sucks. I am predicting a shutout.

7. YERCELL

YERCELL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, PSU is garbage, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Badgers blow it. I hope not, but I tend to keep my expectations low w/ them.

8. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    The Badgers are 9-1 with a game @Iowa. Hopefully Stocco decides he can play.

9. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Win or lose Wisconsin has clinched the Capital One Bowl. There playing for recruits now pretty much. They won't get a better Bowl and they won't get a worse Bowl either.

10. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I believe they could make the Rose if they win out and either UM or OSU lose out.

11. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    They had a 10-0 lead over the Hawkeyes but the Hawkeyes Finally got fired up (after playing 10 games without being fired up) and made it 14-10 but Hawks defense still to sluggish Wisconsin at the Half 17-14

12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
    17-14 Badgers.......

Donovan is playing for Stocco...

8 mins or so to go in 3rd

13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,977
    Wi won, 24-21

14. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes give props to Donovan, I say he played way better than Stocco would of, sorry not a fan of stocco. Iowa had two big chances to win 28-24 but they screwed it up. On 4th and 7 if Dominque Douglas wouldn't of dropped that pass (wide open I might add) they could of scored or atleats kicked a field goal and went into OT. Could of Would of Should of, Iowa is still 6-5.

15. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    with the win the Badgers are ranked #12!

Rankings

GO BADGERS!

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well they should beat Buffalo and finish 11-1. Right now their #9 in the BCS and with the extra BCS Bowl now that means 2 extra teams get an at large bid.

Your probably looking at..

Big Ten - Ohio State or Michigan
    Big East - Rutgers or West Virginia
    Pac 10 - USC
    SEC - Florida or Arkansas
    ACC - Georgia Tech
    Big 12 Texas

So that's 6. Then the 4 at large bids would be giving too...

1. Michigan
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Arkansas
    4. Wisconsin

They may have an outside shot at the Fiesta Bowl. They need some help in the polls and Michigan beating Ohio State will definately help them in the computers so there is an outside chance.

West Virginia needs to lose. Florida or Arkansas need to lose which will happen and USC needs to beat ND. If all that happens they have a legit shot at the Fiesta Bowl.

17. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    3 teams from the same conference can not all go to a BCS game.

18. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You are right. I did some research and found the rule. That's a stupid rule. If Wisconsin jumps to #6 in the BCS they should be giving an at large bid but because of this they will have to be passed over. So Wisconsin will play in the Capital One Bowl this year.

19. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's a garbage rule. Boise friggin' State will get to a BCS bowl over the Badgers. What a joke. Another good reason for a playoff.

20. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed. Boise State isn't that good.

21. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    This is the first time that the Wisconsin Badgers have ever had eleven regular season wins........ever! Very impressive by the rookie head coach! It was not a very impressive win today, though.