1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Wisco Cheese

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Munch, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Munch

Munch NFL Owner

Ratings:
    +121
    Coming from a long ways away for a game in November sooo What is the best cheese in Wisconsin and where do I get it?

GO PACK GO!!!

2. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    Well, my Grandfather liked Limburger. sp?

3. Poppa San

Poppa San Getting stoked! Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,995
    "Best" is subjective. I am partial to sharp cheddar but my kids won't touch it. They are partial to Jacks and Colby. Also the shredded mixes. It is hard to make a "bad" cheese. Locally I run to Scrays cheese just south of Depere, Steves just off I43 in Denmark, Laacks about 10 miles south of Depere, Simons just off I41 in Little Chute. Most have normal business hours 8-5 or so. I am not sure of the one just off Hwy 29 west of Green Bay about 10 miles. And like most local beers of a generation ago, a majority of these cheese places are being bought up by the multi-national conglomerates who just sell their mass produced stuff under the local name. IIRC Simon's is owned by Agro-pur, Steve's and Laack's by BelGioso. They flavor and repackage it locally. The flavoring is what adds the local flair.

State travel site article

Oh and most everybody likes fresh cheese curds. It's in the DNA or something. These would be close to an agreed upon favorite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Well, my cholestorol levels were UP for the first time ever so you KNOW that I've been doing some bad, bad ... BAD dietary wandering lately. I LOVE my real dairy and if I'm gonna do "the 911" it's gonna be on a clog somewhere.

Man, I LOVE "ColbyJack" that is Colby and Moneterray Jack mixed... thinly sliced on any sandwich I can get it on. By thinly sliced, I'm talking soooo thinly sliced your guests will never come back. Wisconsin dairies are also big on mozzerella and what's known as string cheese but that's not my gig.

Hey, if you're coming to Wisconsin ... don't forget the REAL butter. Most dairies will pack on dry ice and ship to you. Butter is like bacon -- use it and you improve everything you put it on. Man, on grilled steak or grilled pork chops, God couldn't have created a better brush-on...

It's a damn wonder I'm not already dead or 250 lbs - truthfully, I don't drink beer very often ... so there's that ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Oh sure. That's mean. Just try to get the smell off of your fingers - it's like spilling gasoline on yourself...you're gonna smell it on you for the rest of the farcking day. ;)

6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Keep it clean, Poppa...this is a family forum. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    That is ridiculous. It is absolutely true about the smell of Linberger cheese. It is also true that my Grandfather liked it.

8. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    Oh...maybe you just changed what section this is in. I thought maybe it was cancelled because of Weeds comment. I guess Weeds was trying to be funny. If anything; his comment should be deleted.

9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,180
    Where will you be staying? how long will you be around? are you driving from the south?

Plenty of places not near GB to get cheese.

10. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +2,995
    Some of the secondary links from the above cite. Search by part of state you are in. Most of the stores I have been to have their hours limited to basically business hours. Don't plan on stocking up on the way to the game. Which, for the ones near GB on 29, I41, or I43, don't make much sense during football season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +2,995
    Reminded me of an old bumper sticker.
    Welcome to Wisconsin ... smell our fresh dairy air.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Unless you grew up down wind from Kaukauna AND practiced football next to to the local wastewater treatment facility...both of which were true of Brillion in the 70's.

13. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    Sharp cheddar....tangy.....Colby Monterrey Jack....Lynn dairy makes a fantastic Hot Pepper cheese...

• Like Like x 1
  14. 906Fan

906Fan Former Dancer

Ratings:
    +80
    You can watch the machines make cheese through some glass in Rudolph, WI. I don’t know the name of the place but it’s pretty big.

15. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +4,180
    if coming from south I know of a few not listed.

16. Munch

Munch NFL Owner

Ratings:
    +121
    We are driving 16hrs from the Great White North Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Staying in GB.

17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +4,180
    Then poppas links will work for you

18. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,294
    The rendering plant in Chippewa Falls was good for some eye watering days as well.

Good old Colby is my favorite.

19. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,529
    That's the stuff that makes 2-a-days in the humidity of early August just a laugh a minute. :roflmao:

20. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,691
    My favorites are:

Salami cheese. This makes the best grilled sandwiches. Shaved salami permeates the cheese. Very good.

Cheese spread: kaukauna port wine. On a townhouse craacker with a slice of sausage washed down with a beer. One of my all time favorite lunches or snacks.

Great place to buy cheese:

Simon's cheese factory in kaukauna is a great spot. Lots of samples and lots of Wisconsiny gifts. I take all my out of town visitors and everyone loves it.

Bonus tip: Spotted Cow beer. Only sold in Wisconsin.

• Like Like x 1
  21. James from IL

James from IL Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +39
    100% this. Great bonus tip!

22. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +2,995
    Have some of their produce in the fridge right now. Always stop for curds when I work late so they are open when I go past.