1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Windows Vista

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Zero2Cool, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Here's a picture of what Windows Vista Beta 2 looks like. It's kind of neat. I like it. There are a lot of cool *** features available too.

The image is crappy quality because I haven't installed hardly any drivers and used paint for the pic.

[​IMG]

2. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Windwos Vista

Zero, you using a beta version of it?

I heard about this and saw some demos, I like the 3-D effects Microsoft added, and the cool way you can go back and forth between programs in a 3-D mode. Some good stuff.

Any idea on when there coming out with this?

3. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

Where do you get Windows Vista?

4. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

It's ok, I have been running it on VMWare for a while now. B1 and B2 a couple different releases. They took all the REALLY cool stuff out of it though, it's esentially Windows XP SP3 :) No 3d desktop as planned, no database driven file structure as planned etc etc...

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Click HERE

The 3D effects are freaking cool. There's a lot of neat little changes. One change I do not like is the Properties of the desktop. ie Right Click > Properties would give you one window with several tabs to alter your theme, wallpaper, screen saver etc. Now with Vista its setup basically like the Control Panel from XP where you have to click a link, then a window comes up. I dislike that.

The new screen savers are freaking awesome. I love the bubbles one.

It's alledgedly coming out first quarter of 2007. What that means in programming language is sometime in third quarter of 2007.

I'm using the Beta 2 from microsoft.com and it has a lot of cool stuff.
    I like the gadget sidebar and some of the options it has. The Windows Media Player 11 is freakin cool. I like the new design and layout of it. It's not radically different from XP, but I like the changes.
    The windwos 'Start' button on the lower left hand side of the taskbar is now jus a little round button which saves some space down there. (im a quick launch whore i like adding things to it but dislike taking up the room if i dont need to)
    Not sure about the 3D desktop. The desktop is pretty cool looking and interactive though. Database driven file s tructure I don't think they'd be ale to do that with the beta version too efficiently in regards to finding errors through un educated users. Then again I may be wrong with my perception of database driven file structures.

6. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    LOOK, tabbed browsing!!

[​IMG]

Windows Media Player 11
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    SideBar Gadgets
    [​IMG]

8. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    This guy really went out there on his review of a Beta software. But I found it interesting.

9. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mac all the way

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Mac and CHEESE for me!!! :lol:

11. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    funny cheesey

12. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    uh zero - we need to talk - your entry into geekdom is getting WAY outta hand. :rubeyes:

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    GET IT NOW!!

14. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Curious zero, how long do you think it'll be before Vista eventually phases out XP?

15. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    In the business world a while, most admins wait until there has been a service pack released to put it into real use but MS has said they are going release SP1 for Vista very quickly to try and counter that and get more people to migrate to it.

I won't be rolling it out for our users any time soon, I have been using it for months now and don't see any distinct business advantage other than increased hardware needs and software incompatability to dictate otherwise. For a home user, it's nice and new and pretty, it has a few new little pieces of software and some new options to help protect your data integrity and system as a whole however if you are in an environment that uses roaming profiles then you have a lot of work to do if you want users to roam between XP and Vista workstations.

16. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you Zero!! :twisted: :twisted:

Businesses are still using 2000 and those who are using XP are using SP1! Atleast ones that I've seen. I haven't seen one business us XP fully updated. Not required for business's that use the system for a specific use which is not browsing the net or media.

17. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I am not sure what all you were trying to say there, but I am a network admin for a national company, I run several hundered workstations all if which are XP SP2 fully patched and have dozens of servers running 2K3 server fully patched (some 2000 servers running sp4). If you are seeing businesses that are running XP at SP1 you should laugh at them, hard.

Better yet tell them you are consultant and when they are hacked by old exploits charge them a ton to "fix" it for them.

18. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    good idea!!

19. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I hear video/audio is actually degraded as it checks often for licensing agreements often(multiple times a second). If you acquired a song or movie without a license it will not work on your system.

There are always conspiracy nuts warning of "big brother" but it appears Vista is making automated surveillence of your computer usage closer to a reality.

Of course reality and history are only what the latest version of Encarta says they are. No other source of information is needed, right?

I will drag my feet as long as possible on this one. I hated going to XP and losing the use of many programs.

Then again I soon must upgrade my computer again and with that software it might make it cheaper to buy new than upgrade. I could then keep my old system.

20. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    But XP SP2 has that crappy FW built in and it doesn't let you push anything down to it from the network even when you turn it off....

21. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Cali I use MP3's that I have downloaded every day. No problems...

P@ck66 - You can turn that off or allow exceptions very easily. Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Firewall - Disable it in there and you are good to go.

22. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I just heard a radio program while driving. I obviously not using it am only passing on heresay.

I'm about to upgrade my system again but am thinking if I buy a new system I get Vista. It is a cost factor now when considering adding new parts or new system.

23. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Along with the Vista release MS (not Mike Sherman!) announced that support for XP Home would be extended to 2014 as it already had been for XP Pro

24. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    That's some good news!

Thanks hedder (or edder, but since hedder covers both of you I'll just use it for ease :lol: )