Williams to the Browns!!!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it again, y'all:

When was the last time you saw any player go for a 1st rounder straight up? Every time, it's a round one pick swap, plus said player. This deal was a 2nd round pick for a player with no picks given back by the Packers. That's a steal, IMO.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DE taken in the draft never seem to come in and contribute right away. It's a tough position to play in the NFL and it usually takes a year to adjust. Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers came in right away but both were high picks. The only other guy I can think of is Mark Anderson from a year ago. Outside of that DE's rarely come in and contribute as rookie. I rather see the Pack acquire a starting caliber DE via trade. Seems like the sports radio here talks about Jason Taylor on a daily basis. I also read the Dolphins are looking into signing a DE which could mean the end for him in Miami.

A don't agree with you at all about rookie DE's not contributing.

Rookie speed rusher can come in and help a team RIGHT AWAY. Examples: Mark Anderson, Shawne Merrimen, Elvis Dumerville, Daryll Tapp. KGB had 13.5 sacks his second season.

The knack on most these guy was that they were tweeners. Too big for a LB, to small for a DE.

I would be amped to see the Pack get another speed rusher, and a good one could easily fall to the Pack in the fourth round.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bengals nab Rogers

The Cincinnati Bengals, who acquired defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in a trade with the Detroit Lions on Friday afternoon, reached a three-year agreement with linebacker Dhani Jones.

The Bengals traded third-round and fifth-round draft picks to Detroit to acquire Rogers.

Our getting a 2nd for Corey just keeps looking better and better.... :thumbsup:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Rookie speed rusher can come in and help a team RIGHT AWAY. Examples: Mark Anderson, Shawne Merrimen, Elvis Dumerville, Daryll Tapp. KGB had 13.5 sacks his second season.

The knack on most these guy was that they were tweeners. Too big for a LB, to small for a DE.

I would be amped to see the Pack get another speed rusher, and a good one could easily fall to the Pack in the fourth round.

I think the tweener speed guy mught be Corey Smith from the Lions whom is suppose to visit Monday...

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - The Cleveland Browns have acquired defensive lineman Corey Williams from the Green Bay Packers in exchange for a second- round pick, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "

Not sure how reliable this is.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns just signed Shaun Rogers too.

Lions get a third and Leigh Bodden.

They just really want to improve that Dline, no matter what the cost. They have NO first day picks.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DE taken in the draft never seem to come in and contribute right away. It's a tough position to play in the NFL and it usually takes a year to adjust. Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers came in right away but both were high picks. The only other guy I can think of is Mark Anderson from a year ago. Outside of that DE's rarely come in and contribute as rookie. I rather see the Pack acquire a starting caliber DE via trade. Seems like the sports radio here talks about Jason Taylor on a daily basis. I also read the Dolphins are looking into signing a DE which could mean the end for him in Miami.

For every guy you named there is a Mario Williams, Jamal Reynolds, Jamaal Anderson, Gaines Adams, Andre Carter, Bryan Thomas, Charles Grant, and Will Smith. I'm talking rookie season now. Not 2nd year.

I didn't say all rookie DE's are doomed their rookie year or should I say that was not my point. My point was that it's a hard position to learn if you want a full time guy. A situational player is not what the Packers are looking for. KGB is that. The Packers in my opinion would be better off going for a veteran pass rusher like Jason Taylor or a Justin Smith rather than using their 1st round pick on, for example, Phillip Merling.

7 out of 8 defensive rookie of the year this decade has been a LB (including Merrimen who is a 3-4 outside LB) Only 3 DE's have won rookie of the year in the last two decades I think. Kearse, Peppers and Simeon Rice which sort of echoes my point.

KGB had 13.5 sacks in his second season.

I don't see how the Packers could use a 1st (which I'm talking about) and expect to get better production than what they currently have in Jenkins and KGB. If they do and it works out then I believe the Packers did a great job in their scouting department.

EDITED BY PORKY
Forgot about Peppers rookie of the year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, good job for detroit. i agree with that. not that i'm happy about it, but they did good. If i was matt millen i proabably would've accepted a case of MGD to ship Rogers' lazy *** off my team.

but WHAT is the deal with cleveland!?!?! NO first day draft picks. Rogers and Williams aren't going to sign on the cheap, either. yow!

Toddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This definitely says second.

"The Cleveland Browns will trade their 2008 second-round pick to Green Bay for defensive tackle Corey Williams. Cleveland then will agree to a deal with Williams that pays him $18 million in guaranteed money and $23 million in the first three years of the deal."
-- Adam Schefter, nfl.com

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I love this trade, and there is some good talent in the 2nd Round, but I can't help but suspect that the Packers would like to trade up, either in the 1st, or earlier in the 2nd Round Somehow. Trading a 2nd anda 3rd or 4th, or a second and a first to get an impact player could be worth. It question in who is the player?

A Corner?, a Linebacker? Not sure if there is any other position that would be worth going up for someone.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I love this trade, and there is some good talent in the 2nd Round, but I can't help but suspect that the Packers would like to trade up, either in the 1st, or earlier in the 2nd Round Somehow. Trading a 2nd anda 3rd or 4th, or a second and a first to get an impact player could be worth. It question in who is the player?

A Corner?, a Linebacker? Not sure if there is any other position that would be worth going up for someone.

I highly doubt the 56th and the 30th willl get them any where near the top 15, be lucky to get near top 20

what type of impact player could be had around the 20th pick?

Reaction score
They just really want to improve that Dline, no matter what the cost. They have NO first day picks.

bozz_2006 said:
but WHAT is the deal with cleveland!?!?! NO first day draft picks.

Actually Cleveland lost it's 'first day' picks when they traded a second for Corey Williams.

The draft rounds have been adjusted, 1st and 2nd rounds are now on day 1 (first day draft picks), and rounds 3-7 are now on the second day (second day draft picks).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

bozz_2006 said:
but WHAT is the deal with cleveland!?!?! NO first day draft picks.

Actually Cleveland lost it's 'first day' picks when they traded a second for Corey Williams.

The draft rounds have been adjusted, 1st and 2nd rounds are now on day 1 (first day draft picks), and rounds 3-7 are now on the second day (second day draft picks).

That's what we were saying there, Norman Einstein.

Reaction score

It never hurts to state the obvious.

Ah, and for those still not completely sure about whether it is a second or third round pick, Browns GM Phil Savage confirmed it was a second round pick. He also had this to add about how the deal came about:

"We contacted the Packers last night (Thursday) and asked if they'd be willing to do something for less than the two No. 1s," Savage said, referring to the compensation due the Packers if a team matched their offer for Williams as the franchise player. "We talked about it awhile back and forth. Ultimately, we came to the conclusion that it was worth a second-round pick for us to get a defensive lineman that has played in the league, has had success in the league."

Courtesy JSOnline

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

It never hurts to state the obvious.

Ah, and for those still not completely sure about whether it is a second or third round pick, Browns GM Phil Savage confirmed it was a second round pick. He also had this to add about how the deal came about:

"We contacted the Packers last night (Thursday) and asked if they'd be willing to do something for less than the two No. 1s," Savage said, referring to the compensation due the Packers if a team matched their offer for Williams as the franchise player. "We talked about it awhile back and forth. Ultimately, we came to the conclusion that it was worth a second-round pick for us to get a defensive lineman that has played in the league, has had success in the league."

Courtesy JSOnline

Dude, that is hilarious.

Savage: Let's make a deal here, but I'm not giving a 1st round pick.
Thompson: How about a 2nd round pick?
Savage: Deal! Sucker!

poor browns.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, maybe the Browns feel like they're on the cusp and are just loading up for a Super Bowl run....

Oh man, i was alomst able to type that with a straight face... almost.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

I highly doubt the 56th and the 30th willl get them any where near the top 15, be lucky to get near top 20

what type of impact player could be had around the 20th pick?

Here are a couple of scenarios based purely on the draft trade value chart.

Possible Scenarios to Trade Up:
1st Rd 30th (#30 Overall) Value 620
2nd Rd 25th (#56 Overall) Value 340
2nd Rd 30th (#60 Overall) Value 300
Total Value: 1260 Get's to around Pick #11

3rd Rd 28th (#91 Overall) Value 136
4th Rd 30th (#124 Overall) Value 48
5th Rd 30th (#154 Overall) Value 29.8
Total Value: 1173.8 Get's to around Pick #13

Total Value: 1144 Get's to around Pick #14-13

1st Rd 30th (1st Rd 30th (#30 Overall) Value 620
Total Value: 1133.8 Get's to around Pick #14 (Maybe 15)

Total Value: 1104 Get's to around Pick #14

Total Value: 1096 Get's to around Pick #15-14

Total Value: 1056 Get's to around Pick #15

Total Value: 1037.8 Get's to around Pick #15-16

Total Value: 997.8 Get's to around Pick #16-17

Total Value: 960 Get's to around Pick #16-17

Total Value: 920 Get's to around Pick #18-17

those are just some scenarios.

However, I'm of the opinion that if such a trade would happen, it would likely be both 2nds, or a 1st and a 2nd or 1st 2nd and 3rd or 1st and 3rd to move up somewhere between 15 and 25, and it would be for a specific player, My guess a Linebacker or Corner.

Members online

Latest posts