Williams to the Browns!!!

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:
Great job ... wow 2 2nd rounders ;)

where do you see 2 2nd rounders?

Citing "sources," the Washington Post reports the Browns will acquire franchise player Corey Williams from the Packers at midnight tonight.

Green Bay is looking for a second-round pick in exchange for Williams.

If this report proves true, Packers GM Ted Thompson will look brilliant. By franchising Williams and putting him on the block, Thompson will have nabbed a day one pick for a player he originally appeared all but certain to lose.

No im saying if deal goes threw ... we would have two 2nd rounders wow :D

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think about this...

We were about to just let him go to FA without receiving much in return (maybe a compensatory pick). Now we could give him up for a 2nd rounder. I love this if it goes down. Heck, I'd take a 3rd for him.

Did anyone see the contract the Raiders gave to Tommy Kelly?! TOMMY KELLY got a 7-year $50 million dollar deal. Corey will definitely get that much and then some. I understand why we want to get rid of him.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't williams actually not want to leave us and had said he would play for a bit cheaper? If he does actually leave ... should we be worried d-line or too much depth?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Krazygangsta said:

Citing "sources," the Washington Post reports the Browns will acquire franchise player Corey Williams from the Packers at midnight tonight.

If this report proves true, Packers GM Ted Thompson will look brilliant. By franchising Williams and putting him on the block, Thompson will have nabbed a day one pick for a player he originally appeared all but certain to lose.

No im saying if deal goes threw ... we would have two 2nd rounders wow :D

got ya!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Clayton basically confirmed this just now on Sportscenter. I have to say I have mixed feelings. I like Williams and think he's a great player and would like him to be around but on the other hand I didn't expect him back anyways and to get a 2nd for him is good enough value. Also the Packers draft so well that GB can probably get a key contributor right away.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at any rate, if the deal goes down, i definitely feel comfortable with where our team is at in regards to DT. Any questions about Harrel's development, and Jolly's health will essentially be confirmed as non-issues. for ted to pull off something like this, you have to feel good about his opinion of our team. and i trust his opinion unreservedly.

vipercwf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:

I think he means cause we already have one, and if its true we will get another from the trade?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
just was announced on nfl siruis radio, corey went to browns for 2nd round pick

LOL wouldnt have guessed this even tho you made a seperate thread for it :wink: :wink: :lol:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
williams to browns confirmed

So the Packers have now have the opportunity to select the 56th pick overall.

Tagging Williams and trading him tells me that the Packers have a plan.

That plan may go back to last year by drafting Justin Harrell and developing the UNDRAFTED talent Daniel Muir so the talent was deep there and Williams was ripe trade bait this year.

Is TT thinking two years ahead of the game? Is he playing chess, and thinking two moves ahead of the rest of the GM's in the NFL?

The Packers Just Traded a 6th Round Pick from 2004 for the 56th pick overall in 2008, and did not diminish future production at that position at all.

That is a hell of a chess move.

R.P.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
williams to browns confirmed

To play devil's advocate for a moment, there's no telling how Jolly will comeback from his shoulder injury (may not be ready be the start of training camp) and you hope Harrell will start living up to that 1st round draft status next year. Cole is solid and the Packers like Muir and the Vikings were pretty high on this Bolston kid. I think we'll be okay, but I wouldn't say there isn't at least a bit of risk by doing this deal with Cleveland.

Sangill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: williams to browns confirmed

At first, I was thinking a 2nd round pick was rather cheap for Williams?

Am I totally off here?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At first, I was thinking a 2nd round pick was rather cheap for Williams?

Am I totally off here?

Yes and no.

NFL teams over-value draft picks. Second rounders are not traded often and when they are they are traded for Pro-Bowl caliber guys (ie. Wes Welker). Randy Moss was traded for a 4th rounder. Troy Williamson for a sixth. Culpepper (when he was good) was traded for a 2nd. We got a good deal.

While Williams is a proven commodity, he was only here for a year and super expensive.

I hate to toot my own horn. (j/k) But months ago I recommended franchising Corey Williams and I believe the reaction was "Whoa, Corey Williams is not franchise material."

TT made a great move. We weren't going to sink anymore long term money at the DT position. We franchised Corey instead of letting him walk for free. The least we would get was a pro bowl caliber DT to help our title push with Favre.

If TT didn't make this move, we would not have this second rounder. I think this is one of TT's best moves so far (The best IMO was hiring MM, then picking Greg Jennings in the second.) Second rounders usually can make an impact right away, and the total value of the picks deal will probably be less than Corey's one year salary.

We can get a QUALITY prospect in the second. This draft is DEEP with RBs. Guys like Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton, and Ray Rice will all be available in the 2nd round. Imagine a one two punch with Grant and one of those guys. (B-Jack can be our third down back.)

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers_Finland said:
Ryan Grant and Ray Rice... that would be beyond awesome.

Rice could be got in the 3rd no problem.

Members online

Latest posts