Will you root the next non-favre QB?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am dreading the A-Rod experiment. All reports are Rodgers isn't very good, but after a year of NFL practices,some action, and good coaching from coaches and players like favre, he could be ok.

But I think whoever the next QB is (A-Rod,Kitna,Carr,Leinart,anybody) is probably oging to get a raw deal. Any incompletions or interceptions and people will be shifting in their chairs, grumblings of 'favre' under their breath.

I will wish the next QB the best of luck, because he is going to need it. He will not get fair treatment from the fans(majority) or the media(they love favre).

But I will not be a fan of the guy just because of his GB uniform. I will root him on, and want him to do well, as I do every GB player(I still root for KGB to stop the run, its not working).

I will judge the qb based on the same criteria as every QB. arm strength,accuracy,pocket movement,accurate reads,leadership, and playmaking ability when a play goes to ****.

Lets hope we dont have to judge another QB for a couple years.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..Tromadz..

I guess that Favre guy was a real ******* for being so good for so many years..

He selfishly f***** it up for anyone who comes after him...

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the reports are coming from. Practices have been closed since training camp and it's pretty tough to judge him based on the 20 or so minutes he played vs. Baltimore so it's pure speculation on anyone's part that Rodgers is no good. I'm not sure we want Favre coaching him either, at least in the art of quarterbacking. Favre is a leader and a warrior and can read a defense like no one else and that's what I hope Rodgers is soaking up from him. There's no one better to learn from as to how to be a leader than Brett Favre but, mechanically speaking, I hope Rodgers is not trying to copy Brett in any way.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where you're getting your reports that Rodgers isn't any good.

The practices are closed to the media, so how would they know? Rossley was recently quoted as saying he's done very well. Daryl Bevell has also said he's doing very well. Thompson has stated that he's "very high" on Rodgers. Donald Lee, in an article just today, said that "Rodgers is ready to be a starter".

These are the people who are actually there at the practices and I'd give them more credence than some unnamed source who heard it from a guy who talked to an unnamed source connected to the Packers... :shock:

Let's remember that just last year, with an inferior team, he outplayed Matt Leinart......twice.....and Leinart will probably be a top five pick this year.

I also don't see why any fair-minded fan would grumble if Rodgers turns the ball over or makes any other rookie-type mistake when the bar on that has been set by a QB who threw more interceptions this year than any player in the last 15 years.

Of course I'll root for him.....he's a Packer. Hell, I rooted for Jim McMahon when he was our backup. I rooted for Cletidus Hunt even though I was secretly hoping a bus would run over him.

I am aware that there are people who are secretly....or even not so secretly , hoping that Rodgers doesn't do well because in their minds it somehow means..........I don't know, something to them. Nobody is expecting Rodgers to be Favre; he'll bring different strengths and weaknesses to that position.

I, for one, am expecting that he'll do an OK job when his number gets called. I don't know if he'll be a Hall of Famer, or a Pro-Bowler, but I do know that I'm not going to start trashing him until he's had a FAIR chance to show what he's got. And that's certainly more than one game and probably more than one season.

If the team around him is solid, there's no reason to believe we can't win with him.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with what Trom is saying. Well, other than the reports that Rogers is no good. I'll reserve judgement until he's given a fair chance

I do think there will be "fans" that will not give the next QB a chance and mumble or scream loudly the name of Favre.

I also reserve the ability to criticize the next QB according to what he does on the field. Not what any previous QB would have done. I will on game day cheer loudly for that new QB all the same.

I guess I just don't see why everyone is jumping all over him on this one.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, I really do have a problem with people questioning me when I say I heard\read something. If you dont like my opinions, thats fine. BUt ******, when I say I heard something or read something, ****ing believe me.

From the mercury news:
----

The "other guy" is Aaron Rodgers, the 24th selection in the draft. Just as experts endlessly debate the merits of Favre, there is tremendous divergence of opinion on the rookie from California.

There are some within the Packers organization who could be categorized as lukewarm on Rodgers. Rossley, however, isn't one of them.

"I like him," he said. "I think he's going to be a really good quarterback. I think he will be a winning starting quarterback."

Others around the league haven't seen much to support that. They aren't at every practice and meeting like Rossley, but many wrote unbiased reports on Rodgers before the draft and then studied him during his 20 possessions in exhibition games.

On Friday, one NFL head coach with an offensive bent said he didn't like Rodgers for a variety of factors.

"I think those Cal quarterbacks are so well-prepared and it's such a great system that they look better than they really are," the coach said. "Everything was a checkdown for him. He was throwing checkdowns when his back foot hit, not looking downfield. I question his arm strength and his ability to react and go through his reads. His size and athletic ability were just OK. I think he'll be a starter in the league. I don't know how good he is."

Bill Walsh's reservation about Rodgers was that he didn't appear to have much untapped ability.

-----

bottom line from this (and other reports which i sure wont copy and paste) is that he is OK at best. Not very good, over rated. In a system that made him look better than he was....etc...etc....etc. But those people dont know what they were talking about, right? The fact that rossley seems like the only one who likes him scares the **** out of me.

I hope A-Rod got better, developed a comfort level in the NFL, and does good...BUT....all signs point to NO.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face the facts........no matter WHO replaces him, there will be comparisons.........it's just the way it is! Scott Hunter replaced Bart Starr........don't you think HE felt loads of pressure? In fact, every QB in Green Bay since Starr faced that comparison, TILL Favre!
I will cheer for whoever is leading the Pack, as i have since Starr retired. Hopefully, it won't take 20 years to get another decent QB.

Trom......don't get yourself so worked up! Even if you heard something directly from Favre's or TT's mouth, there would still be those who question it. You are just passing on info in my opinion, and people are free to take it in, or ignore it.
I appreciate hearing stuff on here, and i take everything in for what it's worth. Whether or not it comes true in the end doesn't really matter to me.
Half the people say Favre's retiring, half say he's staying.
Some will end up being right, some wrong.
Don't let it get your blood pressure up because some people choose to attack the "messenger." You are just passing on what you heard.

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So tromadz, if I read this article correctly:

8) The guy who sees him every single day in practice says ""I like him," he said. "I think he's going to be a really good quarterback. I think he will be a winning starting quarterback"

8) An unnamed coach with an offensive bent said "I think he'll be a starter in the league. I don't know how good he is."

8) Bill Walsh said he didn't know if he had any untapped ability .

Add to this some people who saw him when he was in college, and in your opinion this adds up to "All reports are Rodgers isn't very good"?

I don't see how your conclusion is supported by the evidence you cited. In fact, it appears to flatly contradict it.

I'm quite certain that you can find people who have an opinion that Rodgers isn't going to make it, just like you can find people who have an opinion that Favre is washed up. Just because it's their opinion it doesn't make it fact any more than your opinion or mine.

The people who have invested a ton of money in him and have seen him in practice every day for six months think he's doing fine. I think there opinion has more validity than some unnamed dude who watched some film on him when there was a 40 point difference on the scoreboard.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't be that strange for me........lets see......Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, John Hadl, Lynn ****ey, David Whitehurst, and on and on it goes for me. So, i will for SURE miss Favre, but having a different QB won't be impossible for me to accept. I think alot of younger fans, that are used to Favre being there 100% of the time, it's going to be a rude awakening for them. They have never had to deal with the losing like those of us that "survived" through the lean years.
I will hate seeing another guy under center, but i always knew Brett couldn't play forever. He's lasted alot longer then i ever though he could, with the beating an NFL QB takes.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would a Packers fan not root for the Packers because Brett Favre left?
Curly Lambeau left to coach the Chicago Cardinals, Vince Lombardi left to coach the Washington Redskins.

Sorry, but Brett Favre is not the Alpha and Omega of the Green Bay Packers.

I wish him well whether he returns or retires, but the Packers keep on.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
America said:
So tromadz, if I read this article correctly:

8) The guy who sees him every single day in practice says ""I like him," he said. "I think he's going to be a really good quarterback. I think he will be a winning starting quarterback"

8) An unnamed coach with an offensive bent said "I think he'll be a starter in the league. I don't know how good he is."

8) Bill Walsh said he didn't know if he had any untapped ability .

Add to this some people who saw him when he was in college, and in your opinion this adds up to "All reports are Rodgers isn't very good"?

I don't see how your conclusion is supported by the evidence you cited. In fact, it appears to flatly contradict it.

I enjoyed how you skipped the part where it was said he was over rated. I like that blatant dismissal of facts. Also, Rossley could tell me the sun is yellow and I would question it, because its...Rossley(cmon now, guy).

A LOT of reports arent very positive about rodgers(there, i changed most, to A LOT...for you) How many "hes gonna be dynamite!" quotes are out there? Nope, just rossley and his "i like him...durrrr"

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it, We will not know how good Aaron Rodgers will be as a starting QB for the Green Bay Packers. Untill he actually takes over as the starter as does it for 1,2 or 3 years. Example, Just about everybody in GB wondered why the 17th round draft choice from a 2-9 Alabama team was "on the Packer roster from 1956 to 1959 .HIs name Bart Starr who QBacked the Packers to 5 Worlds NFL Championships from 1959-1967. . Johnny Unitus released during his first training Camp, played a year of semi pro sand lot football in Pittsburgh, before being asked to come to a Baltimore Colts Training camp . He became a Hall of Famer and all time Great QB in 50's and 60's. Drew Breez had 2 poor season as a starter at San Diego. Breez remained the starter for the Chargers in '04.. In his third year,Breez guided the Chargers to 12-4 season. The Chargers were 4-12 under Breez in '03. You just can never tell about QBs. Don't QBs judge too quickly. You just never know!!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, i hope he pans out. I like the goofy way he holds the ball to his ear.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't root for a bad QB, but I'll root for GB and hope the next QB does a good job. It's the GB Packers, not the Favre Packers. If Favre doesn't come back, we can draft another QB to back up Rodgers.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I think the coaches have worked him out of that "Teford" mechanic. The last time he was in a ballgame and threw a pass, I thought he held that ball a little lower than he did in college. I know they (meaning Sherman, Bevell, etc.) talked that they may tinker with that mechanic, and it looked as if they did IMO.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Most college QBs look like that you will see that change. As far as him being any good who knows and really the same was said of Favre.

Rodgers will get a raw deal unless in his second year starting he can take the pack to a SB then he will be ok if Not he will be GB Griese

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I am dreading the A-Rod experiment. All reports are Rodgers isn't very good, but after a year of NFL practices,some action, and good coaching from coaches and players like favre, he could be ok.

But I think whoever the next QB is (A-Rod,Kitna,Carr,Leinart,anybody) is probably oging to get a raw deal. Any incompletions or interceptions and people will be shifting in their chairs, grumblings of 'favre' under their breath.

I will wish the next QB the best of luck, because he is going to need it. He will not get fair treatment from the fans(majority) or the media(they love favre).

But I will not be a fan of the guy just because of his GB uniform. I will root him on, and want him to do well, as I do every GB player(I still root for KGB to stop the run, its not working).

I will judge the qb based on the same criteria as every QB. arm strength,accuracy,pocket movement,accurate reads,leadership, and playmaking ability when a play goes to ****.

Lets hope we dont have to judge another QB for a couple years.

I say give the guy some time. Surely he will not be the next Favre. We cant evolve the whole team around him.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I hope people go easy on the next guy, too. He will be under a microscope, and I agree with JBShell's Griese comparison. Unless the next QB is truly great, which is unlikely, the pressure will be tremendous. And I'm guessing that if the new QB throws an interception into heavy coverage, you won't hear fans saying "That's just Rodgers being Rodgers" or "just Nall being Nall" or whatever.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i will wait and see i think he will be good but wish they would use nall if he isnt maybe they both can compete in training camp may the best guy win.

MSMOLLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point PPierce - it is not the Favre Packers. It will certainly be strange though to not see "4"

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be kidding. Basketball involves 5 players on the court at one time, playing both offense and defense. Football involves 11 players at a time for offense, another 11 for defense, plus special teams. No football player can ever have the impact of Michael Jordan. Favre came about as close as anyone, but it still wasn't very close. Numbers just don't allow it to happen.

Members online

Latest posts