Will we regret not taking Upshaw?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this may have been a mistake, but I love our draft!... We won't know until the season begins, but I was so high on us getting Courtney Upshaw.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah so tough to say. I will say when I watch film of Perry I'm really not all that impressed. Scouts say he's soft and he look that way to me.

Whatever the case, Ted knows what he's doing a hell of lot more than you or I so I'll trust him here. I do love the pick of Worthy...that guy pops out at you when you watch film of him. He's not exactly polished or anything, but a great pick.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans are always really high on bringing in people with name recognition. The fact is it takes about 3 years to assess a team's draft.

As for regretting it, I doubt it. Our staff does their homework better than most, and if our picks don't work out, we're not going to dwell on it. We'll just go get someone else.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No one knows whether Upshaw will have a better NFL career than Perry but this quote from a Miami Herald story I believe sums up why the Packers picked Perry:
Upshaw was one of this draft's biggest sliders after struggling mightily in agility drills at the combine, but the Defensive MVP of this past season's BCS National Championship Game is a powerful pass rusher with an advanced array of moves who can be utilized as either a down lineman or standing up as a 3-4 linebacker.
The Packers must have graded Perry higher at the OLB spot. We had several discussions before the draft about whether or not OLB or DE in Capers' scheme is more important. IMO OLB is clearly the answer to that question because in the base DL usually 2-gap to allow the LBs to make plays and I'll bet that's why Perry was the pick. IOW the Packers may have viewed Upshaw only as a DE. But they know defense in Baltimore so Upshaw will get a great opportunity to show his stuff. If Upshaw becomes a beast playing with his hand on the ground and Perry doesn't either at OLB or with his hand on the ground, the Packers pick will have been a mistake. My guess is it won't be that clear as I expect both players to succeed in the NFL.

And of course the good news for the Packers is they were able to address both OLB and DE in the draft. The potential for a difference-maker at both those spots is what has me, and a lot of you, excited about this draft.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think a lot of people will regret letting him go to Baltimore. As if they needed another defensive stud on their team.

I see Perry and Upshaw and pretty much the same player. Upshaw though played on probably the best defense in college football and 3 of his teammates on defense got drafted in the first round.

Perry was the standout defender on his team. For that reason I think Perry might be the better and more talented player.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The brass discussed the closeness of the pick between Worthy and Still but never discussed it being close between Upshaw and Perry. I think they got the man they wanted.
As ThxJack pointed out, we got highly regarded OLB and DE. Very exciting to think about them in the Green and Gold.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
The brass discussed the closeness of the pick between Worthy and Still but never discussed it being close between Upshaw and Perry. I think they got the man they wanted.
As ThxJack pointed out, we got highly regarded OLB and DE. Very exciting to think about them in the Green and Gold.

Obviously they got the guy they wanted as they picked Perry over Upshaw. I think Upshaw will be solid, but he is absolutely inferior athletically to Perry, especially when it comes to speed. That doesn't mean he won't be the better pro, but I like the idea of having the superior athlete. Also, it will be hard to compare the two because the Baltimore defense is loaded already. The Ravens defense is obviously way better than the Packers and for that reason I would except Upshaw to stand out more, especially at first. I believe Perry has a much higher ceiling but also a lower floor. With proper coaching, Perry could become an absolute beast, but could also bust. It's clear that the Packer's valued his athleticism and thought that the coaches can make him a better player than Upshaw. As a general manager, one HAS to think that about his coaches because if they don't, then they should be hiring new coaches. Ted provided a superior athlete and it is now up to the coaches to get the most out of him.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I think Perry will eventually become the primary pass rusher for the Packer's. This will free up CM3 to be more of a "rover" to utilize his abilities in both coverage and pass rushing. Perry doesn't and may not ever have the ability to move in space like CM3 does, but that's OK. As long as he develops his pass rush, it will be a nightmare for teams to figure out what CM3 is going to do.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah so tough to say. I will say when I watch film of Perry I'm really not all that impressed. Scouts say he's soft and he look that way to me.

At USC he played almost exclusively with his hand on the ground, going one-on-one against the tackle. In our defense, he will be playing OLB and will be coming on blitzes where he can use his speed (which is off the charts for his size) to shoot gaps and get around guys. Worthy and Raji will compliment each other immensely and as a result, neither of them will face constant double-teams like Raji did all last year. Our pass rush will be MUCH improved over last year. I predict we will have a 10-15th ranked pass rush next year and within 2 years it will be top 5.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At USC he played almost exclusively with his hand on the ground, going one-on-one against the tackle. In our defense, he will be playing OLB and will be coming on blitzes where he can use his speed (which is off the charts for his size) to shoot gaps and get around guys. Worthy and Raji will compliment each other immensely and as a result, neither of them will face constant double-teams like Raji did all last year. Our pass rush will be MUCH improved over last year. I predict we will have a 10-15th ranked pass rush next year and within 2 years it will be top 5.

I hope you're right regarding Perry.

I certainly am no expert evaluator or anything, but generally when I watch game by game, play by play of Perry he doesn't do much IMO. Worthy on the other hand, blows up plays so often you can't not notice him. But like I said before, that's just a me, a fan. I am no expert.

I do think that the effect of adding Perry will be an upgrade whatever the case, and throw in Worthy and Hargrove and I agree this pass rush should be much improved.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
W/Perry coming out of USC he's definately got some pressure on him as Matthews is a beast as was a few other guys they came out of USC but not able to think of their names at this time. Greene & Matthews will bring the best out of Perry. It'll be great to finally have some bookends

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't hot on Upshaw at all but then Perry also raises question marks for me. Since we have Perry, I'm rooting for him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like this is one of those threads 3 years from now will be brought up again :)

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Upshaw will turn out to be a very good OLB. Guys like R. Lewis & Ed Reed will make him better. They will teach him what he needs to know. But then so will the Steelers when they play the Ravens this year. The bad part for both teams is that they play each other 2x in 3 weeks at the end of the season

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
He was not who the Ravens wanted. The rumors were the Ravens wanted Hightower. Bad. Pats got him first. Just like the Pats got Gronk before the Ravens got him a few years ago.

Now with Harbaugh mouthing off on spygate I wonder if there is some bitterness.

If so many teams in need of D turned him down it makes me wonder. The Colts turned him down too for Fleener and he could have replaced Freeney eventually or now.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts are more of an offensive team. I would hope Irsay drafts for defense next year w/the exception of 2-3 picks for offense. They're D will need help. Mathis,Freeny & Bethea will be retiring soon. Like in 1-2 years

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously they got the guy they wanted as they picked Perry over Upshaw. I think Upshaw will be solid, but he is absolutely inferior athletically to Perry, especially when it comes to speed. That doesn't mean he won't be the better pro, but I like the idea of having the superior athlete. Also, it will be hard to compare the two because the Baltimore defense is loaded already. The Ravens defense is obviously way better than the Packers and for that reason I would except Upshaw to stand out more, especially at first. I believe Perry has a much higher ceiling but also a lower floor. With proper coaching, Perry could become an absolute beast, but could also bust. It's clear that the Packer's valued his athleticism and thought that the coaches can make him a better player than Upshaw. As a general manager, one HAS to think that about his coaches because if they don't, then they should be hiring new coaches. Ted provided a superior athlete and it is now up to the coaches to get the most out of him.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I think Perry will eventually become the primary pass rusher for the Packer's. This will free up CM3 to be more of a "rover" to utilize his abilities in both coverage and pass rushing. Perry doesn't and may not ever have the ability to move in space like CM3 does, but that's OK. As long as he develops his pass rush, it will be a nightmare for teams to figure out what CM3 is going to do.
I'd love to see Perry become as good as CM3. We would next to unstopable.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Colts are more of an offensive team. I would hope Irsay drafts for defense next year w/the exception of 2-3 picks for offense. They're D will need help. Mathis,Freeny & Bethea will be retiring soon. Like in 1-2 years

Mathis is 31 and Bethea is 27. Bethea was a rookie when the Colts won it all.

I don't blame the Colts for going heavy on offense. The offense needed weapons. The defense was actually ranked higher to end the year then BOTH Super Bowl teams and GB. That D did what they could with no QB last season.

The Indy D is improved already with Pagano and if he does not have the CBs playing so far off receivers in a soft cover 2.

I didn't mean to go OT though. But, yes the D will need help next offseason. They will have the cap room though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts