Will we ever see another Barry Sanders?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't other RBs study him and try to do what he did or coaches coach that?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think the nearest one now is John Taylor of UW and now The Colts.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of caveats - he played for the Lions, he was often their only offense, probably other factors. However, as much fun as he was to watch, IIRC he would put up several mediocre runs, then a big one, then repeat. And, not having played, I can't speak with authority, but I have to figure that his running style was one of those attributes you either have or you don't. He did keep the D on edge, though.

Reaction score
At 1:45 he gets horse collared good by us. Lol That would’ve been a 15 yard penalty today.

Love me some Barry Sanders. One of the Best cut back RB ever. Could also start stop and then start again into a different direction due to low center of gravity and elite agility.

Reaction score

Taylor is a faster version of Sanders in the open, but Taylor still doesn’t have the short range change of direction and combination elusiveness and short range burst that Sanders had.
I used to Love the hop move Sanders would make and then just go across field and beat everyone to the edge. Sanders IS the reason the DE doesn’t have the Edge” :laugh:

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't everyone just throw Mariano Rivera's fastball? Why don't coaches teach everyone to shoot 3's like Stephen Curry? Why don't players just jump up and catch the ball like Randy Moss?

Those guys all have incredible abilities that no other players have, and that's what Sanders had....the most unique running style that I've ever seen. If I remember right from an old Barry Sanders highlight video, his style developed from playing football with his older brothers and their friends. He was afraid of being tackled so he did everything possible to elude them.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved that commercial with Sanders where he sort of blinks and says "you wanna see it again."

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why doesn't everyone just throw Mariano Rivera's fastball? Why don't coaches teach everyone to shoot 3's like Stephen Curry? Why don't players just jump up and catch the ball like Randy Moss?

Those guys all have incredible abilities that no other players have, and that's what Sanders had....the most unique running style that I've ever seen. If I remember right from an old Barry Sanders highlight video, his style developed from playing football with his older brothers and their friends. He was afraid of being tackled so he did everything possible to elude them.
While I agree with him being unique I would think that others could do the same thing.
Stop on a dime, they are humans and not trains, then change direction.
It seems like players are coached to just run forward in a straight line where they get stopped real soon.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hated him when he played against the Packers. He'd frustrate them to no end, except in that one game where they shut him down. When he wasn't playing against GB, I enjoyed watching him work his magic. The best I've ever seen, #2 is Jim Brown, and #3, Gayle Sayers, despite his short career. Saw all three play in person.

I think you're right on Taylor. He could be the closest to Barry we see in decades.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was great but I can think of a few RBs I'd rather have. Starting with Derrick Henry. Sanders was to inconsistent and even though every time he touched the ball he was a threat to go all the way you could also say he was a threat to get stopped for a loss.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was great but I can think of a few RBs I'd rather have. Starting with Derrick Henry. Sanders was to inconsistent and even though every time he touched the ball he was a threat to go all the way you could also say he was a threat to get stopped for a loss.
I don't think there are that many RBs who make great highlight reels as Sanders did.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about the losses. He was stopped for loss more than anyone else. But, I don't put that on him. I put that on the Lions not being able to block very well. They didn't have much across the offensive line during his time in the NFL. To me, that's what makes his records even more amazing, considering he had to make up that lost ground on so many carries.

Like you, I think Henry is one helluva RB. Completely different type than Taylor. I think the difference is how long they've been in the NFL, and their future. Henry has pretty much peaked, and I think Taylor has another step up that he can make. Of course, that's just a guess on my part.

I do know one thing. I wouldn't argue with having either one of them on my football team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was he being stopped for losses because of his running style, or because their O-line sucked?

The times that I remember Sanders going backwards was because he was already about to lose yardage due to pathetic run blocking. Once he got beyond the line of scrimmage, I can't remember him running backwards to gain yardage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any of those guys, with defenders in the backfield are going to have troubles. Sanders was probably the most elusive, slippery, break your ankles, quick/fast, twitchy explosive back I have ever seen. He didn't lose yards because of his style so much as he lost yards because he was dodging guys in the backfield before he could even start and he was still the best RB in the league for a long time.

Plenty of big guys get stoned in the backfield too. All things equal with marginal run blocking, there isn't a back anywhere I'd rather have than Sanders.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about the losses. He was stopped for loss more than anyone else. But, I don't put that on him. I put that on the Lions not being able to block very well. They didn't have much across the offensive line during his time in the NFL. To me, that's what makes his records even more amazing, considering he had to make up that lost ground on so many carries.

Like you, I think Henry is one helluva RB. Completely different type than Taylor. I think the difference is how long they've been in the NFL, and their future. Henry has pretty much peaked, and I think Taylor has another step up that he can make. Of course, that's just a guess on my part.

I do know one thing. I wouldn't argue with having either one of them on my football team.
Do you have HBO?
We do but we don't have Direct TV which means watching football is limited to what we get on networks.

HBO was following the Colts during the season as part of their Hard Knocks series, which was a first for them instead of just showing a team during training camp.
It was exciting watching Taylor during the clips they showed from games and I will miss seeing that.
And I heard coaches saying that Taylor was a game changer, which he is.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have HBO?
We do but we don't have Direct TV which means watching football is limited to what we get on networks.

HBO was following the Colts during the season as part of their Hard Knocks series, which was a first for them instead of just showing a team during training camp.
It was exciting watching Taylor during the clips they showed from games and I will miss seeing that.
And I heard coaches saying that Taylor was a game changer, which he is.
I have Game Pass to watch games. They aren't live, but I can go over all of them they're complete. I believe it's 30 minutes after the game ends.

Even though I live in Texas now, I was able to get every Packer game live down here this year. Didn't have to watch any on Game Pass, but I did watch some of the 60 minute game condensed versions of the Colts, and saw that Taylor hasn't missed a beat from where he was at Wisconsin. He's just flat out amazing! And, despite being quick, and shifty, he has power in his legs. Tough to take down.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any of those guys, with defenders in the backfield are going to have troubles. Sanders was probably the most elusive, slippery, break your ankles, quick/fast, twitchy explosive back I have ever seen. He didn't lose yards because of his style so much as he lost yards because he was dodging guys in the backfield before he could even start and he was still the best RB in the league for a long time.

Plenty of big guys get stoned in the backfield too. All things equal with marginal run blocking, there isn't a back anywhere I'd rather have than Sanders.
I don't think there are that many RBs who make great highlight reels as Sanders did.
Was he being stopped for losses because of his running style, or because their O-line sucked?

The times that I remember Sanders going backwards was because he was already about to lose yardage due to pathetic run blocking. Once he got beyond the line of scrimmage, I can't remember him running backwards to gain yardage.
All valid points and I wouldn't try to talk anyone who thinks Sanders is all that out of it because they are right. He's legitimately in the conversation for greatest RB ever and certainly in the top 5. He was probably the most fun back to watch because he could even make a 3 yard loss look exciting.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have Game Pass to watch games. They aren't live, but I can go over all of them they're complete. I believe it's 30 minutes after the game ends.

Even though I live in Texas now, I was able to get every Packer game live down here this year. Didn't have to watch any on Game Pass, but I did watch some of the 60 minute game condensed versions of the Colts, and saw that Taylor hasn't missed a beat from where he was at Wisconsin. He's just flat out amazing! And, despite being quick, and shifty, he has power in his legs. Tough to take down.
From watching HK they made it seem as if he did turn the Colts season around from losing to winning or at least was a big impact player.

Damn.
Wish he would have stayed in Wisconsin and played for us!

buckthorn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor is a completely different type of running back. Aside from his speed, he has great patience, vision and power, knows how to use his blockers and when to burst through a hole and turn on the jets. He thrives running between the tackles. I hope he lasts more than a few years. Sanders was more about making you miss.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taylor is a completely different type of running back. Aside from his speed, he has great patience, vision and power, knows how to use his blockers and when to burst through a hole and turn on the jets. He thrives running between the tackles. I hope he lasts more than a few years. Sanders was more about making you miss.
I couldn't agree more. Now I'm looking at Braelon Allen as being another great RB coming out of Wisconsin running back University. This kid shows me things that Taylor did, and even some of the old Ameche play, believe it or not, and everything in between. It's hard to believe he carried them through a bowl game and wasn't even 18 years old yet. The MVP of the Las Vegas Bowl, at 17!!!

159 yards, and over 100 in the first half. This kid is all of them wrapped into one package. We have at least two more years of enjoying that talent in Madison.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won’t cement an opinion on best WR ever, or QB ever or TE ever or any position in any sport really almost.

Wayne Gretzky is the greatest and Barry Sanders is the greatest RB.

Two items I don’t even have an opening for debate on the topics. Everything else I can argue or debate for many.

hit01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was frequently contrasted with Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith, who might turn into the NFL's untouched driving rusher at the time of his profession. The two have become old buddies in retirement.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was frequently contrasted with Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith, who might turn into the NFL's untouched driving rusher at the time of his profession. The two have become old buddies in retirement.
It's hard to argue with the success Smith had, but watching both, and so many others during their career, I never really saw Smith as being that special to be honest. I thought he was the recipient of great offensive lines who could have opened holes for grannies with a walker to get 5 to 7 yards a pop. He only had 3 seasons where he averaged over 4.5 yards per carry, and his career average was 4.2. To me, he was a plodder who stayed healthy, and racked up yards because of it.

Sanders, on the other hand, averaged 5.0 per carry for his career, and only had 2 seasons under 4.5. He also played with a team that was not particularly good across the front line for most of his career. Jim Taylor, who was a lot more like Smith had 5 seasons @ 4.5 or more, out of 10, and ended up with a 4.4 average. I honestly believe he was better than Smith.

Then there's Jim Brown. Nine seasons, only one under 4.5, and a career 5.2 average. Rushing champion 8 of the 9 years he played, and the one time he wasn't, it was Jim Taylor who took the honors. I won't even go into Walter Payton's record. Sweetness was also someone who exceeded what most will ever do. I put him in my top 3, with nobody given the nod as #1. They can all take their turn.

Those 3? Payton, Sanders, and Brown. They're in a group of their own. Next level, I'm not certain how many I can lump in here, but it's not only total yardage for seasons, it's based on talent. Some had shorter careers than others. I'll just name a few. Gayle Sayers - He should have had a long career, but injuries destroyed it. This guy was amazing. I watched him play, and he was so smooth. Jim Taylor - A bull in a china shop, who knew how to punish tacklers. He was the Packers bread and butter back during their best years of the 60s. Not certain on this one, but Adrian Peterson is another RB who fits into that 2nd level, in my opinion. There are more, but I don't want to do that much research.

It is interesting how Emmitt Smith became the #1 total yardage rusher in the NFL. So darned durable. You gotta give a lot of props to him for staying in that good of shape, and obviously playing through a lot of pain during his career.

Members online

Latest posts