1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the NFL go International?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Scout200, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    There's been a lot of talk about the NFL going international... Do you think the NFL will give up home games in order to reach out to a larger base? How do you think this will impact the NFL?

2. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    Up here in Canada, the talk is of Toronto getting a team (possibly the Bills???), and maybe even a team in England.

Personally, I like the NFL just the way it is. Is there really any need for expansion outside of the US?

3. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +105
    I really hope not. Too many good things are ruined when they try to fix what aint broken...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    I do not think the NFL should go overseas, but I can see a Canada option.

On a side note, I heard today that L.A. will be getting a team. It's like a for sure thing..

5. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,429
    I don't think it's a bad idea for Canada (Toronto) to pick up a few teams. The NHL and NBL already do that with some success. If they are thinking international, I think it may be a money related thing. They need to reach out to a larger fan base and perhaps generate greater revenue. Maybe we can send the Vikings to Iceland? LOL

• Like Like x 4
  6. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Would be a sad day if the Bills left Buffalo. One more small market team gone.

7. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Elaborate please...

8. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I don't see how the NFL is making too little money. I can understand that they want more, but I don't see how they're making too little.

9. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    The Queens may be headed for La La land.

10. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
  11. Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +376
    They were talking about it on the radio this morning, so I don't have a link currently..

12. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    lol +1

13. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm pretty split on the idea.

As you know, there are only 16 games during a 17 week season. Typically, a team plays 2 home games in the pre-season, and 8 home games in the regular season. It's nothing like the NBA where 82 games are played by each team and half of those are home games. Taking away one home game from fans is a big deal. Yet, many believe that giving the brand an international presence will actually help provide a better experience for the fans and help local economies in the long run.

14. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    Toronto... ehhhhhh. I think it would be OK, but it would be the Bills, and I dont want Buffalo to lose the Bills. I live in Buffalo area and the fans around here are as loyal as any team's. They continually sell out (until this year), and generate enough profit to host a team. Only problem is their Owner is a MORON

15. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    I really don't think having a franchise over here in the UK is a viable option.

Selling out 1 game a season at Wembley is easy. Selling out 8 games a season throughout the cold months just won't happen.

16. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    I think if the whole COUNTRY/KINGDOM had a team then selling out wouldn't be a problem. I think the problem would arrive with the travel. The visiting team would have a stark disadvantage, whether it be the US team there, or the the UK team here.

17. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Oh yeah, and living/citizenship issues too. They may have an issue getting players to sign there, if they're not wanting to move out of the US for over 1/2 a year

18. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Great point! I didn't even think about that...

19. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Oh yeah, and also, persons with either a DUI (DWI) or a felony in the US cannot enter Canada w/o preapproval, or at all.....
    And lets face it, the whole NFL aint choir boys....

20. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    But the thing is, the franchise would more than likely be based in London. That's a 4 hour drive for me, and I'm only in the North West! So the further north from me adds longer travelling time. If they wanted the franchise to be accessible to all, then it'd have to be placed in the Midlands, which just won't happen.

The first few games would probably sell out due to novelty value. But after that, I highly, highly doubt it. The UK loves American Football, and everyone who loves it here, already has an affiliation with a proper NFL team. Would I ditch the Packers for some half assed UK franchise? HELL NO! I'd rather pay the money I do to travel to the US and see my beloved Packers than spend money going to see the UK team. And my Bears, Browns and Bucs friends say the same. Then throw in the travelling in the bad weather, if the team sucks and loses a lot of games etc, the appeal wouldn't really be there.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45
    Going to Canada is one thing, going to the UK is another. Can you imagine being on the London team and having to travel to the United States eight times a year? That's a pretty long flight to have to take every other week for a few months. The homefield advantage would be great, but the traveling disadvantage would be terrible.

They shouldn't add any more teams anyway, the talent spread is perfect for 32 and the scheduling and alignment setups for the divisions are perfect the way they are. No new teams, no 18 game schedule. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +112
    Do they not play a game in London every year?

23. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    8+2+? would be a lot IMO, but im more or less impartial...

24. Scout200

Scout200 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    :thinking: Ha, well there goes that idea!! LOL

25. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Man I would hope not. International flights would certainly throw a wrench into the equation.