will the defense still be a problem?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He missed more than half the freaken season..you make it sound as if the guy played every game and got torched geeze. Show me evidence outside of the colts game to where he was a "liability" because Wayne worked all our dbs hat day. I record every game so name another out of the what? 7 games he played?? He got torched.

Against San Fran in the playoffs. If you don't like that one bc everyone did bad then against the saints.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I guess i have to spell it out...we allowed quarterbacks to throw for a ton of yards on us. So much we are in the record books for it. There.
There's the rodell we know and love. I guess I have to spell it out... WE WERE 11TH IN PASS DEFENSE (according to http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB) We wore down at the end of the year last year, but this was not the 2011 defense, and won't be in 2013. Quit with the sour.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson was a phenominal football player, but he just doesn't fit anywhere on the roster. He didn't adjust very well to the S position and he lacks the quickness to play CB anymore. Even if we brought him back he probably wouldn't see the field.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's the rodell we know and love. I guess I have to spell it out... WE WERE 11TH IN PASS DEFENSE (according to http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB) We wore down at the end of the year last year, but this was not the 2011 defense, and won't be in 2013. Quit with the sour.

He's talking about 2011. Mayo made the very important point that its not only about yards. You can't just judge them by yards when they lead the league in ints and were an above avg points. People get too carried away with the yards stat. It can be pretty misleading.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good Lord man i didnt say this defense would be bad or is the 2011 defense smh. Also even if the 2011 defense led the league in takeaways they still set an NFL record for most passing yds and first downs allowed in a season. Thats my point you are not getting. Historically bad like i said.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Good Lord man i didnt say this defense would be bad or is the 2011 defense smh. Also even if the 2011 defense led the league in takeaways they still set an NFL record for most passing yds and first downs allowed in a season. Thats my point you are not getting. Historically bad like i said.

you must not know much about packers history then.

yes, statistically 2011 was "bad", ranked 31st or 32nd was it? But, to make a jump from bottom of the barrel to 11th......that shows a MAJOR improvment.....that is damn near top 1/3 of the league in just one season. That is a turn around imo. Not to mention we were ate the hell up with injury once again and that didnt help with getting the much needed pressure on the opposing QB, we can't rely on CM3 alone. If we had a season long healthy CM3, Perry and several others, we would have done much better. Let's hope we stay healthy this season and stand back and watch the fireworks fly.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He missed more than half the freaken season..you make it sound as if the guy played every game and got torched geeze. Show me evidence outside of the colts game to where he was a "liability" because Wayne worked all our dbs hat day. I record every game so name another out of the what? 7 games he played?? He got torched.

How many defensive holdings did commit last year because he was getting beat, I don't have a number but it seemed like it happened every game he played

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you must not know much about packers history then.

yes, statistically 2011 was "bad", ranked 31st or 32nd was it? But, to make a jump from bottom of the barrel to 11th......that shows a MAJOR improvment.....that is damn near top 1/3 of the league in just one season. That is a turn around imo. Not to mention we were ate the hell up with injury once again and that didnt help with getting the much needed pressure on the opposing QB, we can't rely on CM3 alone. If we had a season long healthy CM3, Perry and several others, we would have done much better. Let's hope we stay healthy this season and stand back and watch the fireworks fly.

K brother..even tho we greatly improved in 2012 look in the nFL record books and you will find the 2011squad. . Hopefully we are even better this year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
K brother..even tho we greatly improved in 2012 look in the nFL record books and you will find the 2011squad. . Hopefully we are even better this year.
In 2011, the Packers had a turnover differential of +24, which was the 2nd best in the NFL. Therefore the Packers had one of the best defenses in the NFL that year.

That is the problem with only looking at one statistic and drawing conclusions.

If you want to say the Packers had one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history, nobody would argue. When you say the Packers had one of the worst defenses in NFL history, that is where you are completely wrong. There were several teams with worse defenses that year, let alone in the history of the NFL.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

" historically bad " as you put it earlier....that should not constitute one year, your statement means more to me than 2011......like back in the day history. Be more specific please, because a dumba$$ like myself might get confused as to what you mean by "history", ya know? lol

Also, yes, we may have had a record for something on the bad side of records for the defense, but take the good with the bad bro......ya don't go 15-1 by doing the wrong things. Our D gave up big yards because WE put up huge numbers as well. Teams gave up on the run game to compete with us thru the air, which they typically couldn't do well enough to overcome our point lead. Our offense was bada$$ and our D was picking off passes left and right. You can't have a #1 offense and a #1 defense.....that just never seems to happen. Not to mention our offense scored so damn fast that our D was getting gased out easily being on the field so much. 2011 was a record setting year, more good than bad....try to see the best before focusing on the worst. There are teams in the NFL that have not, nor will ever come close to being 15-1.....we were the envy of the league.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
K brother..even tho we greatly improved in 2012 look in the NFL record books and you will find the 2011 squad. . Hopefully we are even better this year.
Actually you'll find the 2012 Saints. If at first you don't succeed, fail, fail again!!!:D

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2011, the Packers had a turnover differential of +24, which was the 2nd best in the NFL. Therefore the Packers had one of the best defenses in the NFL that year.

If you want to say the Packers had one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history, nobody would argue. When you say the Packers had one of the worst defenses in NFL history, that is where you are completely wrong. There were several teams with worse defenses that year, let alone in the history of the NFL.

I would argue it. They didn't give up a ton of passing TDs that season. They had what cold hard football facts calls a bend but don't break defense. You would often see a team losing, throwing down field on us with some success then only to have the ball picked within the 20. Packers score on offense and the team throws deep again in order to try n come back.

To judge a teams defense just on passing yards is completely redic

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would argue it. They didn't give up a ton of passing TDs that season. They had what cold hard football facts calls a bend but don't break defense. You would often see a team losing, throwing down field on us with some success then only to have the ball picked within the 20. Packers score on offense and the team throws deep again in order to try n come back.

Whatever I think that's perfectly reasonable... I also judge the Packers Front Office by my ability to swing trades and develop draft picks in Madden, and quite frankly TT and company suck. :geek:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever I think that's perfectly reasonable... I also judge the Packers Front Office by my ability to swing trades and develop draft picks in Madden, and quite frankly TT and company suck. :geek:

If you can do it on madden I see no reason why Ted shouldn't be able to

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's exactly what im saying..and ppl are arguing haha. It's cool tho, i don't wanna beat a dead horse with a stick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm very optimistic sort, but come on. Every time the opposing team dropped back to pass, I would cringe. If we didn't intercept it, we would likely give up points - or so it seemed. We couldn't prevent them from completions very often.

That's exactly what im saying..and ppl are arguing haha. It's cool tho, i don't wanna beat a dead horse with a stick.
Actually, I was contradicting you. You state it was a historically bad defense. It was not. It wasn't even the worst one in the NFL that season. But, you are right. This poor dead horse has been beat silly.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very optimistic sort, but come on. Every time the opposing team dropped back to pass, I would cringe. If we didn't intercept it, we would likely give up points - or so it seemed. We couldn't prevent them from completions very often.

Actually, I was contradicting you. You state it was a historically bad defense. It was not. It wasn't even the worst one in the NFL that season. But, you are right. This poor dead horse has been beat silly.

As far as 1st downs and passing yards given up it was..that's all i'm saying. But anyways.

Reaction score
I hate it when our Pass Rush sucks, 2008 and 2011 felt really helpless watching our D do nothing (aside from the secondary getting lots of takeaways).

Our 2013 defense probably won't be as good as 2010, but as long as we get pressure - cover our guys - tackle, we'll have a Defense capable of giving our offense a chance to win the superbowl, all we can ask for heading into the season.

M

mayo44

I guess i have to spell it out...we allowed quarterbacks to throw for a ton of yards on us. So much we are in the record books for it. There.

Yards are not points.

The year that we broke it we only allowed a few yards more than New England and a large chunk of those came in a meaningless final game against Detroit where half of our starters didn't even play. And no, we're not in the record books for it. The Saints blew that record out of the water last year by about 450 yards. Coincidence? Doubtful. It probably has a ton to do with all the new rule changes that put dresses on QBs and now WRs over the past 3 or 4 years. Teams that score quickly are going to be prone to giving up a lot of passing yards. BTW, about 1/3 of our total yards allowed in 2011 came in the 4th quarter when the game was, more often than not, already decided.

The worst defense in 2011 was the Bucs, and it's not even remotely close.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the question posed in the op: Who knows? If I had to guess I would say the defense this year will be similar to years past (excluding 2010). That is to say, respectable against bad and mediocre offenses, and terrible against the elite ones. Ted had a nice draft and we'll have guys back from injury, but it just seems sort of systemic that this D folds against elite offenses.

I hope I'm wrong...IMO our best defensive addition might have been getting Eddie Lacy (if healthy)...he will make an already potent offense extremely difficult to keep off the field.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me the question is how well the team will address the defensive shortcomings that did us in last year. Statistically, others have done a credible job of showing that on the whole our D was not a hot mess like it was in 2011 when we gave up an unprecedented amount of passing yards and big plays.

To me, the questions are:
1. How do we adjust to limit big plays? Those big plays often came as a result of miscommunication in the secondary. We rushed the passer well last season, but still saw teams get off big gains and long scores on us. Beyond getting a thumper opposite Burnett, what I'd rather see is light years of improvement in assignment execution back there, accurately diagnosing coverages pre-snap and playing within the scheme to minimize gains. When we won the SB, it wasn't like people didn't complete passes, but you went down when you caught the ball. YAC yards were so hard to come by against us. That's not the case the past couple years.
2. Do we tackle better? This is a fundamental skill, but missed tackles are big reasons schemes break down and big plays happen. I think teams are still adjusting to the limited number of padded practices, but our staff has to find a way to get guys to do this most basic of all defensive techniques consistently and proficiently. If you can bring an opponent down when you hit him, then the play is over, and you're better able to dictate down and distance decisions by the opposing offense...
3. How do we execute what we're supposed to do? There was a game last season where we made adjustments to limit Adrian Peterson- the DL in particular played disciplined football managing lanes and sealing the edges. He still rushed for 100+, but his impact in the game was far different. He didn't break off any huge runs, and he had to carry a ton of times to get the yards he did earn. If there's one major failing (aside from the ones I just listed) of our defense over the past two years, it's this aspect. We have a plan and fail to execute it effectively because players step outside of what they're supposed to be doing from one play to the next.

Like MM, I share his faith in Dom's football knowledge. I think he has the chops to coach these guys up, but I think the accountability needs to ramp up big time. I think you have to play the guys who execute, who demonstrate consistency. There aren't too many spots, aside from CM3's, that I wouldn't make open competitions all season long. There aren't that many contracts we can't afford to ditch, and there aren't many players we can't get similar performance from players behind in the depth chart. I think guys need to feel the pressure to play their best week in and out. There are too many vets to be making rookie errors, and it's time to expect execution.

If we can answer these three questions, I think our D can be top 10, maybe even top 5. Capers bucked his historical trend of seeing things go to pot in his third season last year, so I'm hoping to see him realize the fruits of coaching up young talent that will see the field now that we have openings with DJ Smith, Walden, Zombo and some cuts along the DL to come...

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the question posed in the op: Who knows? If I had to guess I would say the defense this year will be similar to years past (excluding 2010). That is to say, respectable against bad and mediocre offenses, and terrible against the elite ones. Ted had a nice draft and we'll have guys back from injury, but it just seems sort of systemic that this D folds against elite offenses.

I hope I'm wrong...IMO our best defensive addition might have been getting Eddie Lacy (if healthy)...he will make an already potent offense extremely difficult to keep off the field.

I beleive if they can stop making average quarterbacks like Blaine Gabbert and John Skelton look like pro bowlers they can be a top ten defense. They gave up way to many big plays last year to bottom tier qb's with not so great offenses. I don't know if it's Capers or guy's just being undisciplined..maybe both.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I beleive if they can stop making average quarterbacks like Blaine Gabbert and John Skelton look like pro bowlers they can be a top ten defense. They gave up way to many big plays last year to bottom tier qb's with not so great offenses. I don't know if it's Capers or guy's just being undisciplined..maybe both.
:(

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabbert isn't on our schedule this year and when we play the Bengals we'll probably face Dalton(I can't even find that we faced Skelton in 2012 btw). So I'm predicting a good year for the defense.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts