Will the Bears rest starters against the Pack

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they already said they will play their starters. Just gives us more reason to smash them early and give them a reason to pull em by halftime

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah. Lovie said he isn't going to back down at all against us (Remember he was hired to beat the Packers). He might not rest anybody. Doesn't mean the Bears players aren't gonna take it easy.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha!
No freaking way.

1) It's Bears vs. Packers.
2) Lovie Smith cares more about beating the Packers than anything else.
3) They still believe that they need to prove they're better than us.
4) Because they have the #2 seed, they can rest their starters next week.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Falcons take care of business against the Panthers at noon on Sunday then the Bears will have nothing to play for really. I'd be surprised if they don't rest some guys, or take it easy. I wouldn't push that "Injury Angel" too far if I was Lovie, it has been awfully nice to those Bares thus far this season...

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care whether or not they rest their starters. We are a better team, and we'll get the W. The fact of the matter is that I'm very happy that Phili has the #3 seed. Playing a competitive team (and c'mon guys... the bears are competitive) back to back is unbelievably draining; especially since we would've played in their home come playoffs. I am more confident playing PHI in the playoffs first round than CHI for this reason.

BFavre4Ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no chance in hell that the Bears rest starters against the Pack next weekend. They have a bye locked up and most coaches agree that having too much rest can be as harmful as playing starters. They don't want their guys sitting on the shelf for 2 weeks and then thrown to the wolves in round 2 of the tournament. Not to mention they don't want to see the Pack in the playoffs. They'd do anything to send us home for the season.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lovie will start his starters and if it remains a close game throughout but if we jump ahead to an early lead, even if it's surmountable, I would be surprised if Lovie doesn't rest his starters. I know it means to world to him to beat the Packers and I expect the Bears to come into the game expecting to go all out to win. But will he really push his players hard to win if they fall behind? I don't think so. Not worth taking a great risk like that just to beat the Packers.

I mean really though, what did you expect Lovie to come out and say? "I'm going to rest all of my starters on Sunday."? If he is planning on resting anyone he certainly wouldn't announce it publicly.

I think a good question to be asked is whether or not Lovie rested his starters during the last week of the 2006 season, when the Bears had the #1 seed that year. They played us the last game of the year, and the Packers were in contention until the final weekend to get the last wild card spot, much like this year. All I can remember from that game is Rex Grossman sucking terribly(and getting benched for it) and Favre crying after the game. Does anyone else remember if Lovie rested his starters?

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care whether or not they rest their starters. We are a better team, and we'll get the W. The fact of the matter is that I'm very happy that Phili has the #3 seed. Playing a competitive team (and c'mon guys... the bears are competitive) back to back is unbelievably draining; especially since we would've played in their home come playoffs. I am more confident playing PHI in the playoffs first round than CHI for this reason.

The way the Eagles played tonight, I would take them any day over the Bears in Chicago. Especially now that Vick has a pretty good limp to him, even though the game will not be for another 2 weeks. But who knows, could be worse than anyone expects. If we can manage to beat the Eagles, I would like our chances against the Falcons seeing how we played a somewhat decent game against them and could have played better, a lot better.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a good question to be asked is whether or not Lovie rested his starters during the last week of the 2006 season, when the Bears had the #1 seed that year. They played us the last game of the year, and the Packers were in contention until the final weekend to get the last wild card spot, much like this year. All I can remember from that game is Rex Grossman sucking terribly(and getting benched for it) and Favre crying after the game. Does anyone else remember if Lovie rested his starters?

Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones both played and had good game

Griese came in for Grossman

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29112/CHI_Gamebook.pdf

Looks like D had starters in for the start

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
How anyone could be worried about Boars back to back is beyond me. We're a much better football team and I'd rather face them than anybody else in the playoffs save the NFCWest.
The Bares don't get anything extra from facing us back to back, they already know us. It's all about execution from that point on and coaching. Which is favorable to us in both regards.
Too much on the line for them to lose to us last game of the season, they start their guys, but once we open a 21 point lead, no sense in risking an injury. We'll be playing our guys late because there is nobody else on the roster to play, but they will sit theirs.
We always play them close, but the Packers are too much for even the luckiest franchise in the NFL to overcome.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody know, if we beat the bears, do we have a chance to play them back to back weeks?????

No, we play the Eagles if we beat the Bears this Sunday.

The main reason this concerns me is the fact the Eagles are LOCKED to the 3 seed now, which means they can rest Sunday.

The Eagles defense is a joke really.. Their offense is as potent as ours though. It'll be a pretty even match-up..

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
No, we play the Eagles if we beat the Bears this Sunday.

The main reason this concerns me is the fact the Eagles are LOCKED to the 3 seed now, which means they can rest Sunday.

The Eagles defense is a joke really.. Their offense is as potent as ours though. It'll be a pretty even match-up..

Blah I'm not scared!! We unleashed Mike Vick in week 1, and We can put him back in the dog pound if need be!

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How anyone could be worried about Boars back to back is beyond me. We're a much better football team and I'd rather face them than anybody else in the playoffs save the NFCWest.
The Bares don't get anything extra from facing us back to back, they already know us. It's all about execution from that point on and coaching. Which is favorable to us in both regards.
Too much on the line for them to lose to us last game of the season, they start their guys, but once we open a 21 point lead, no sense in risking an injury. We'll be playing our guys late because there is nobody else on the roster to play, but they will sit theirs.
We always play them close, but the Packers are too much for even the luckiest franchise in the NFL to overcome.

you're really not giving the Bears any credit are you? I hate them, but we just have heresay. They have results. They're 10-4 clinching #2 seed. We haven't even made the playoffs yet. 3/4 of their losses are teams we lost to as well.

And it's not that they get anything extra -- it's that we have to beat them AGAIN. It's exhausting. There was a guy that I wrestled for 3 years that was in the same conference. We were head to head -- both state-caliber wrestlers. Trust me... it's mentally exhausting just to prepare for him knowing that we knew each other so well.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring on whoever, just win this weekend. Smith said he is playing everyone, which still doesn't matter to me I think the Bears are not nearly as good as their record shows.

As for the Eagles, I think Vick started very hot because teams didn't know how to scheme against him. Once they figured it out, Philly didn't become an auto win. Hopefully a Sunday win will get us in there and IMHO, the Packers may be the most dangerous team in the NFC when you look at who is playing well.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
The Bears scare me a little 2 weeks in a row too, not because I think they are great, but they are formidable. Their defense is no joke, and if Cutler does by chance get some lucky shots, then we could be in trouble. Luckily our guys are more discilined now, so we won't get 502 penalties this week.

As for the Eagles, They scare me as well. From here on out, I'm gonna be scared no matter who we play.. Its win or go home boys! And the world deserves the #1 team (GBP) to be in the big game at the end of it all!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Lovie resting starters against us. Not this year anyway. He wants us OUT of the playoffs, if at all possible. Why risk playing a division foe a third time when you don't have to?

White92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see the starters going a full game..

If Cutler were to get hurt, or Urlacher perhaps and miss the playoffs, you would hear the cries for Lovie's head from Chicago all the way to Green Bay.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U know... If lovie plays his starters... I hope we make him pay for it. Peppers (who I think is invincible but whatever), urlacher, or cutler breaks something. Or even Hester! Their field position is just ridiculous bc of him.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a direct source on this so don't quote me here, but I heard during the Eagles game last night that Lovie has said he will play his starters no matter what. He wants to beat the Packers.

Good! Hopefully now the Packers can whack a few starters while they are at it!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lovie did say that

But how long will they play? They have #2 locked, so a win wont help or a loss wont hurt..

Treat as a 3rd preseason game starters play into 3rd q

Members online

Latest posts