Will some team give Ray Rice another chance?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of miles on an aging body at a position losing its importance with a whole lotta baggage that will follow him wherever he goes. I'm guessing his phone isnt ringing off the hook

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had sort of disapeared before the whole...... ummmmm......... situation....... I doubt he will play again. Lots and lots of talent out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rice was terrible in 2013. With all the baggage added since I have a hard time believing he will ever play again in the NFL.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard whispers that he will get invited to a camp, but if he doesn't this year his career is officially over.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong position. If he was a cover corner, a pass rusher, a QB, et. al., he'd very probably have a shot.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As a fellow fantasy player....why?
I didn't expect to not be on a roster so long. Also, he had more short term potential than most 3rd string RB and 4-5th string WR that were available during the season. A few weeks last season almost all my RBs were on bye or questionable on the injury list at the same time.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would probably be their #1 RB tbh
I really do feel this is where Rice will end up. They have an amazing OL and a guy like Rice could put up some really nice numbers for them. Also, DMF has shown year after year he is no ironman and if they plan on giving him 300+ carries they are kidding themselves. Rice should be nice and healthy and full of motivation heading into this next season. I don't think he can be a 1500 yard guy anymore but I do believe he could be a difference maker if put in the right situation and I can't think of a better one than Dallas. Obviously this is all speculation on my part but I just have a feeling about this one. Jerry has shown recently he could care less what people think about him signing guys that may not be role model citizens. He signed Hardy, drafted Gregory and took a shot on the Collins kid which I think will end up paying huge dividends. JJ missed out on Randy Moss in '98 because of the pot deal and a few other incidents he was involved in while at Marshall and knows he missed out on having one of the best WR's ever because of "character issues." He won't let that happen again.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on that? Hes reinstated.

Two things working against him:

1) The videotape.

2) Age/declining talent.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if someone took a flyer on him, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the Cowboys sign Rice AND Peterson, they would finally have that "1-2 Punch" they wanted at Running Back.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Rice averaged only 3.1 ypc in 2013, one of the lowest in the league. Yes, his offensive line
Struggled at times, but he isn't the Pro Bowl RB he once was.
He was a 4.4 the year before. No reason not to bring him into camp if you're Dallas

H

HardRightEdge

If the Cowboys sign Rice AND Peterson, they would finally have that "1-2 Punch" they wanted at Running Back.
The Cowboy's cap limit for 2015 is $148.0 mil. Their current top 51 cap spend is $134.8.

Throw in $1.9 mil for a couple of minimum salary rookies to fill out the roster and 10 minimum salary practice squad guys for the full season. That gets the spend up to $136.7 mil and available space down to $11.3 mil.

Peterson's cap number for 2015 is $15.4 mil, however $2.4 mil is prorated signing bonus which would be charged against the Vikings in a trade, leaving Dallas with a $13 mil cap hit.

On supposes they could release a vet or two to realize the cap savings needed to squeeze him in. But that would leave them no cushion for IR replacements. There might be a little too much cutting close to the bone to make it work.

Another possibility is Minnesota cuts him if he refuses to show up and they can't work a trade. There's no guaranteed money left in his contract and Minnesota would net a $13 mil cap savings whether he's cut or traded. Who knows where he'd land then, but Dallas (or anybody else) could bring his the cap number way down from the $13 mil taken on in a trade by giving him to new contract with a sizable signing bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he does he's probably a midseason pickup for a team hit hard by injuries at RB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just to clarify my post above

"If the Cowboys sign Rice AND Peterson, they would finally have that "1-2 Punch" they wanted at Running Back."

That was said totally tongue in cheek (key words "1-2 PUNCH)", without any regards to salary cap or the odds of it happening. More of a statement of WHO the Cowboys are willing to have on their team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another possibility is Minnesota cuts him if he refuses to show up and they can't work a trade. There's no guaranteed money left in his contract and Minnesota would net a $13 mil cap savings whether he's cut or traded. Who knows where he'd land then, but Dallas (or anybody else) could bring his the cap number way down from the $13 mil taken on in a trade by giving him to new contract with a sizable signing bonus.

I really can´t imagine a scenario in which the Vikings would consider releasing Peterson. If he´s holding out into the regular season he won´t get any money and won´t count against the cap (as far as I know) so the team actually possesses all the leverage in this case.

H

HardRightEdge

I really can´t imagine a scenario in which the Vikings would consider releasing Peterson. If he´s holding out into the regular season he won´t get any money and won´t count against the cap (as far as I know) so the team actually possesses all the leverage in this case.
Good point.

However, holding onto Peterson while he's in limbo into the preseason, let alone the regular season, frustrates the football operation's planning process. There are some parallels to the Favre situation in this respect.

Futher, this is not a case of a player holding out for more money (business is business). Evidently, this is a case of a player being p*ssed at the organization for throwing him under the bus. Minnesota flipped and flopped on his status, but finally flopped to the suspension, an action taken by the the team before the league weighed in, when sponsors/partners (e.g., Raddison) started to bail. Minnesota would end up with a very expensive franchise player, a smudged face of the franchise, who simply does not want to be there.

It would make sense that Minnesota is holding the "we're keeping him" line to leverage a trade. Otherwise, the message would be "we'll cut him if we can't trade him", in which case interested teams would wait for him to be cut given his contract and a draft pick cost.

I'll be surprised if he's with the Vikes past first cut-downs. They could use the cap savings to fill out the roster with some veteran cuts with some tread still on the tires.

Either way, the situation benefits the Packers...I think. Either he's gone or he's unhappy and possibly a distraction and disruption. I say, "I think", because we might not want to see him with the Cowboys (or any other team) that the Packers meet in the playoffs.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Just to clarify my post above

"If the Cowboys sign Rice AND Peterson, they would finally have that "1-2 Punch" they wanted at Running Back."

That was said totally tongue in cheek (key words "1-2 PUNCH)", without any regards to salary cap or the odds of it happening. More of a statement of WHO the Cowboys are willing to have on their team.

I got it...lol