Will Rodgers beat Dan Marino's single season passing record?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple question, is it possible for Rodgers to dethrone Dan Marino by throwing for over 5,084 yards? And how long will it take for him to do so? I think it's very possible that Rodgers gets close next year behind an improved O-line. However with a tougher schedule in '10 it may just fall out Rodgers' grasp, but I can definitely see it happening in a year or 2.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, no Rodgers and Marino comparisons!
I second that!

But about the record, with the way the league is going, it's possible. But it's not probable. For that, we'd have to dominate, and keep on passing, a la Patriots 07. I don't see that...

Rather have Rodgers break Starr's postseason QB rating and winning record ;)

pluto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers won't break marinos' record. green bay has a tendency to sit on the ball once they get a respectable lead, sometimes they do it to early. i do think rodgers has the ability to do it though.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea it would be cool, but when Drew Brees was so close in 2008, it was a sub .500 season for the saints, b/c their D was horrendous, even though 2009 their D surprisingly was still ranked like 24th or lower...but just saying, I agree with PackersRS, rather see him accomplish championships and beyond over stat breaking, leave the stat breaking to Brett Favor (pronunciation a la '91 draft)

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodgers won't break marinos' record. green bay has a tendency to sit on the ball once they get a respectable lead, sometimes they do it to early. i do think rodgers has the ability to do it though.

Thats funny, I was thinking the same thing watching the NFL network the other day and thought it would be awesome to see the Packers beat the NFL TD record set by Brady. I thought about it a little more and came to the same conclusion as you. The Packers would sit on the ball too much to break a record like that.

Not that I dissapprove. But kicking *** and taking names is fun too!:happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coincidence or not, the season Marino broke the 5000 yards record they didn't win the SB.
The season Manning broke the 48 tds record, they didn't win the SB.
The season Brady broke the 50 tds record, they didn't win the SB.
And the season Brees almost broke Marino's record, they didn't win the SB...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone in the next 10 years will do it. Too many of the passing records have been falling for that one not to fall. You have to average about 315 yards a game the whole season to get in range for that record. Will Aaron do it? He has as good of a chance as anyone will with the team and receivers he has. The only problem is the O line and his lack of time to throw the deep ball. Also Aaron is young and still seems to rely on his feet when he isnt comfortable with his options throwing, which will take away from his chances to set the record. It is nice for him to have that option though. I think it would be another couple of seasons before he is able to shoot for that record.

I got curious at the age a QB peaks so I looked at 10 QBs that are Pro Bowl or better players.

Dan Marino set the record in his 2nd season, at age 23 but other players seem to peak in their late 20s.

Tom Brady was a young 30 (aug birthday) when he set the TD record.

Drew Brees was a late 29 when he came so close to breaking Marinos record.

Favre is an interesting QB to look at as far as judging which season he peaked at. You could go with last season (age 40) or any of his mvp years but I think I will go with his first mvp year of 95, age 26 because he lead the league in TDs and passing yards.

Jim Kelly had his best year at age 31 by leading the league in TDs his first and only time.

Peyton Manning had arguably the best season ever by a QB stats wise when he was 28 in 2004.

McNabb peaked at either 28 or 30 but because neither were full seasons its hard to compare them.

Fran Tarkenton peaked at age 27 with 29 TDs and his only 3,000 yard passing season.

Kurt Warner peaked at 30 in 2001 when he lead QBs in almost every category.

And finally Steve Young peaked at age 31 in 94 when he lead the league in TDs with 35 and had his highest passer rating ever with 112.8

So 2-3 years he should be entering his peak

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, no Rodgers and Marino comparisons!

I wasn't trying to instigate any "who is the better QB" type of talk, just trying to ask whether Rodgers can do it since the league is becoming more pass-first oriented. As we saw last a season, a multitude of QBs broke the 4,000 yard barrier, a feat that seemed pretty rare only 10 years ago. Just because Drew Brees came close to beating the record a couple years back, did people starting to say he was better or if not just as good as Marino? Unlike the Dolphins GM I won't diss the guy by saying that Chad Henne is the best QB that ever lived.

I second that!

But about the record, with the way the league is going, it's possible. But it's not probable. For that, we'd have to dominate, and keep on passing, a la Patriots 07. I don't see that...

Rather have Rodgers break Starr's postseason QB rating and winning record ;)

Darn we were so close to doing that this year! However I'd rather be safe than sorry in order to keep Rodgers healthy for the playoffs. It's similar to what the Colts did in the later weeks of the season. Unlike a lot of critics out there, I actually supported Caldwell's decision to sit Peyton Manning out for the last couple of games. It was at the expense of obtaining a 16-0 season but what's the point of having the perfect season if you don't prepare efficiently for the best stat of all, winning a superbowl? Even though they didn't win it at the end, it was still the right call IMO.

Coincidence or not, the season Marino broke the 5000 yards record they didn't win the SB.
The season Manning broke the 48 tds record, they didn't win the SB.
The season Brady broke the 50 tds record, they didn't win the SB.
And the season Brees almost broke Marino's record, they didn't win the SB...

Hey there's a first time for everything no?

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
****ie couldn't do it when they had no running game. I doubt we'll see Rodgers do it since they have one now.

Members online

Latest posts