Will Peyton Manning break the passing records set by Favre?

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Will Peyton Manning break the passing records set by Fav

Peyton Manning will break all of the passing records. Just think they could have drafted Ryan Leaf.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Peyton Manning will break all of the passing records. Just think they could have drafted Ryan Leaf.

yeah, they're really kicking themselves over that one.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if, if and buts were candy and nuts oh what a Christmas it would b
To much can happen in 8 years honestly did anyone really think Brett would be healthy enough to continue his starting streak.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

that projection idea is stupid. you can't just double what he has now and that is what he will end his career on! I suppose Colts are in a pretty weak division, like Brett has beat up on Vikings, Bears and Lions over the years, Peyton gets 2 shots per season at Texans, Jaguars and Titans. Also keep in mind the huge season Peyton had, I think it was 2004, boosts his numbers quite significantly, Brett had many good numbered seasons without the huge one like Peyton's 2004.
The NFL is designed to go in cycles, with the salary cap and the draft, with the exception of the Patriots, Lions and Cardinals, every team gets their chance at a bit of success and a bit of failure.
In conclusion, I see Peyton going close, but I think he will retire about 35-40 TD passes short.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

mike_donnelly said:
that projection idea is stupid. you can't just double what he has now and that is what he will end his career on! I suppose Colts are in a pretty weak division, like Brett has beat up on Vikings, Bears and Lions over the years, Peyton gets 2 shots per season at Texans, Jaguars and Titans. Also keep in mind the huge season Peyton had, I think it was 2004, boosts his numbers quite significantly, Brett had many good numbered seasons without the huge one like Peyton's 2004.
The NFL is designed to go in cycles, with the salary cap and the draft, with the exception of the Patriots, Lions and Cardinals, every team gets their chance at a bit of success and a bit of failure.
In conclusion, I see Peyton going close, but I think he will retire about 35-40 TD passes short.

Agreed. The reason I agree is the odds Manning will stay healthy and productive as long as Favre are very low. Manning may stay healthy, but to have the surrounding cast he's had this long is very rare. It won't last.

Watch how good Manning will be with mediocre receivers. My guess? Not as good as Favre was with mediocre receivers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Early in his career Ken Griffey JR was projected to pass Hank Aaron's home run record. Injuries killed that.
All it takes is ONE hit from a d-lineman to stop Manning from ever reaching Favre's records.
Even Favre passing Marino's TD record might not happen. (Don't get mad at me for saying that!) But none of us KNOWS the future or what might happen.
When he passes it, THEN we can celebrate. For now, it still belongs to Marino.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

mike_donnelly said:

Agreed. The reason I agree is the odds Manning will stay healthy and productive as long as Favre are very low. Manning may stay healthy, but to have the surrounding cast he's had this long is very rare. It won't last.

Watch how good Manning will be with mediocre receivers. My guess? Not as good as Favre was with mediocre receivers.

Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Joseph Addai aren't going anywhere anytime soon. As well as Anthony Gonzalez now. He won't have medicore receivers for a long time and I could see Harrison playing at an elite level as long as Jerry Rice did.

The only thing that will hold him back I bet is injuries (a severe one at that) and Peyton has been durable so far. No reason why he couldn't do what Favre has done.

Offensive line I'm not sure how long they are signed for though so that could be the weak point for Manning.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL will be the question. Peyton's lack of mobility is his achille's heel for which the OL protects. Greed will break the OL apart like every superbowl winning team has. They become high valued FA's and every team, except the Packers, will bid high to get a o lineman from the SB team, though they'll have only a year or two left in the tank. At some point, he'll have a suspect OL which will leave him vulnerable to injury. If for some reason this does come to fruition, it will be a long time before these records get broke. Besides Manning, there isn't anyone in the league currently who will come close.
BTW, Bo knows alot, but Bo don't know the home in the snow.
Now, lets not jinx Favre. He still has to break Marinos records before anyone can pass him, and I hope he makes it through this season injury free.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I think Manning may break some, but not all. People take his "greatness" for granted. As others have said, the guy has had the most consistency a player will ever see in their life. Once that eventually collapses (it can't last forever), you're looking at a lost boy trying to find his mommy. I mean, Brett has very very very seldom had consistency, and he is who he is, an amazing QB. Not to mention the fact that he is as tough as they come. Brett has been injured before, and he's played through it, with the bumps and bruises, the broken thumb and the tapped up legs, he's played through it. With the drug addiction, father's death, wife's health, family's struggles, he's played through it. Brett tackles it all, whether its physical or emotional, he deals with it in stride.

Can any of this be said for Manning? Hell no! I say, he's a great QB, but even with 9 years on his belt, he hasn't seen anything yet. Breaking every record for now, out of the question. Once he gets that first real injury, that first sign of the team deteriorating, that first point where he feels he has to carry a team and manages to deal, then we'll talk

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Joseph Addai aren't going anywhere anytime soon. As well as Anthony Gonzalez now. He won't have medicore receivers for a long time and I could see Harrison playing at an elite level as long as Jerry Rice did.

The only thing that will hold him back I bet is injuries (a severe one at that) and Peyton has been durable so far. No reason why he couldn't do what Favre has done.

Offensive line I'm not sure how long they are signed for though so that could be the weak point for Manning.

I'm not trying to jinx them, but the odds that Wayne, Harrison, and Addai will all continue to be healthy for any length of time are poor. Remember how tough Sterling Sharpe was? His career was prematurely over. You just never know in the NFL.

Plus as you mentioned, the OL. Manning hasn't taken any real bad hits. When the OL starts thinking they can make more money elsewhere, that will change.

Favre being healthy this long is nothing short of miraculous. I just don't see it happening for awhile for someone else.

Lynch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=left]Manning will probably be the best QB threw hisotr along with Favre, when it come to statistic, but Favre will be the more magical one he can do things that no QB ca do, not even Manning[/align]

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True.........so far Manning has had a powerful surrounding team. Favre didn't have that luxery.
But anything can happen, and maybe Manning won't make it to that point. Time will tell.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think, now that Tarik Glenn will be retiring prior to the 2007 season, we will see Peyton Manning get pressured a lot more.

Or maybe they have a capable replacement set and will fill in nicely.

But, I think he will eventually break the records Favre has broken and are set to break this year.

Peyton averaged 30.5 touchdowns a year, for the 9 years he's played so far he has 275 touchdown passes. If he avergaes 30.5 touchdowns for the next 7 years(I say 7 because he plans to play till he's 38, and he's 31 right now) he'll have about 214 touchdowns, added with 275 and he'll have a total of 489 touchdowns. Not only would he demolish Favre's record, he would make it almost impossible for any QB to reach that mark.

So, I don't know about you guys but once Brett breaks Marino's record this year, I am going to rub it into every persons face untill Manning breaks it.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

does anyone think that Peyton's desperation to get that first ring was pushing him extra hard, and perhaps there will be a drop-off now, or is that a complete non-factor? I mean he will still probably put up great numbers, but there may be a slight feeling of the task completed for him. He doesn;t really need to prove himself anymore.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton has always been a workaholic...I don't see him slacking off at all. He looks at what Tom Brady has accomplished and, like all the great QB's, wants to leave a legacy of winning multiple SB's. He'll put up huge numbers as long as he's healthy and the team stays intact.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

speaking of Brady, I wouldn't be surprised if he threw more TD's than Peyton this season. Brady to Moss could have a similar impact as Manning to Harrison.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts Left Tackle RETIRED, and on NFL Live they are talking about how Peyton might be screwed no unless they replace it.

This is what I was saying. There was no way the colts dream team would last forever. Players retire, go to FA, or get traded.

It's not always about peyton and his wr's. As us packers fans know....the line is very very important, and it looks like ol Peyton just might find out how important his talented LT really was.

(This is also the thing that could cause an injury. A good DE gets by the new LT, blindsides peyton, boom, out 6 weeks)

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts Left Tackle RETIRED, and on NFL Live they are talking about how Peyton might be screwed no unless they replace it.

This is what I was saying. There was no way the colts dream team would last forever. Players retire, go to FA, or get traded.

It's not always about peyton and his wr's. As us packers fans know....the line is very very important, and it looks like ol Peyton just might find out how important his talented LT really was.

(This is also the thing that could cause an injury. A good DE gets by the new LT, blindsides peyton, boom, out 6 weeks)

I believe it is more a window of opportunity than a line. You only have so many years before it closes. Then you are back into the average or rebuilding stage.
I also believe that Manning is intelligent enough that he already knows how important Tarik Glenn was. Glenn is only 31 years old. Camp is alot tougher on the big lineman, carrying all of that extra weight then then any other position. He decided screw camp, I am retiring.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly...its begun.

first the great LT leaves....they replace him eventually, but now the center and RG are gone....etc,etc...

GB had a great line for what...5-6 year stretch? then we've been rebuilding it the last 3 years and hopefully this year its AVERAGE(maybe a little better).

When Manning is in that situation...thats when the game begins!

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly...its begun.

first the great LT leaves....they replace him eventually, but now the center and RG are gone....etc,etc...

GB had a great line for what...5-6 year stretch? then we've been rebuilding it the last 3 years and hopefully this year its AVERAGE(maybe a little better).

When Manning is in that situation...thats when the game begins!

Yes, the window of opportunity is closing for the Colts. I find it hard to believe that the Patriots have been able to keep theirs open for so long.
Our WOO has been closed for over six years.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Manning is in the prime of his NFL career. Wait till he gets in that 36-40 range. The arm has to give out sometime.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to mention Manning is in the prime of his NFL career. Wait till he gets in that 36-40 range. The arm has to give out sometime.

Exactly. Look at Favre in his prime, then look at his numbers now. Obviously production starts to decline as he passes his prime..

Marvin will retire soon, so there goes that.. And Anthony Gonzalez may have potential, but nobody expects him to replace Harrison.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When Brett had a great TEAM around him he was throwing 30+ td's easy but what happened when the talent around him diminished. His numbers went way down. I feel the colts are ******** themselves with the cash they paid peyton,harrison,wayne and freeney. These players salaries will continue to climb leaving less money for the TEAM. So unless the colts can find gold in every draft the team around peyton will get worse and so will his numbers. Just my :twocents:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heh. Too funny. The last few posts are echoing what I was saying.
Manning's good days are numbered. Welcome to mediocrity. We'll see just how good Manning is when he doesn't have All Pros surrounding him. I guarantee you he won't be as good as Favre when Favre didn't have an all-star cast.

Favre plays two or three more years, Manning won't touch ONE of his records, especially the Wins. We'll go 8-8 this year, and 10-6 next year.

Members online

Latest posts