Will Peyton Manning break the passing records set by Favre?

Reaction score
The current records for passing yards are 61,361, and the record for TDs is 420. Both are held by Dan Marino. Both should be broken by Favre this season, if he doesn't get injured (knock on wood).

Brett Favre owns the completions record, with 5,021.

Manning has played only 9 seasons thus far, but PFT's projection of Mannings stats if he plays 8 more seasons is staggering.

If Manning plays a total of 17 seasons, he is projected to finish with:

70,995 passing yards
519 touchdowns passes
5,900 completions (this is my own calculation, based on doubling Manning's completions in the first 8 and a half years of his career).

Manning is currently on pace to shatter virtually every passing record that Brett is soon to eclipse.

Do you think Manning will eventually break the above records that will (in all likelihood) be held by Favre?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a GREAT POST.

I need to give this some thought.

GERAT POST A.A.D.P.

I guess the only record in the N.F.L. that will truly never be broken is the longest run from the line of scrimmage.

No one will ever break Tony Dorsett's record - 99 Yard run- Dallas vs. Minnesota, Jan. 3, 1983 (TD)

Edit: Ooops and of course the longest pass from the line of scrimmage as well.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Manning break his consecutive starts thing either. He's been starting since Day 1 of his NFL career.

Will Manning break all of Favre's records? I really think he will, especially if Marvin Harrison continues to stay around playing at the level that he consistently plays at.

While Manning is definite a great QB, probably even better than Favre at that respect, there's one thing that he's had that Brett hasn't--continuity. Manning has has had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Edgerrin James pretty much his whole career. Sure, now he has a Joseph Addai, but nobody cares about that.

Favre has had a Sterling Sharpe, a Robert Brooks, an Antonio Freeman, a Bo Jackson, a Mark Chmura, an Edger Bennett, a Dorsey Levens, an Ahman Green, an Andre Rison, a Terry Glenn, a Javon Walker... Along with that, I never even mentioned the Earl Dotsons, the Frank Winters, the Mike Flanagans... Favre for the latter part of his career has always had to adjust to new offenses.

Peyton Manning has nearly had ten years of Tom Moore's system, with the same plays, and the same players. Of course he looks smart, because he's been playing in the same offense forever.

Think of that. This is why Manning gets all this baloney about being the most intelligent QB in the NFL. This is why Manning is gonna break all the records.

He's said it himself. Do you think he's just publically being modest about the stats he puts up? Of course not. He gives his offensive line, players, and coaching all the credit. Manning knows his players, and that's why he trusts them. That's why Manning to Harrison is the new, probably better, version of Montana to Rice.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peyton could definitely break Favre's records. Like the old saying goes, records are made to be broken. I don't think it's that big of a deal if he eventually does break them. Favre breaking Marino's records doesn't take anything at all away from Marino's greatness. If Manning breaks them, he breaks them. The guy's great.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking Danreb.

There isn't anything seemingly hindering his path to breaking the records. He has been injury free thus far in his career, and his O-line is still solid.

He's got a young WR in Anthony Gonzalez that is projected to be a great WR. So even when Harrison retires, there is someone with expectations behind him.

He's got a 28 year old WR in Wayne. He's still got a 28 year old TE in Clark. Still plenty of gas left in the tank for both those players.

He's got a 24 year old RB in Addai that is a good receiver out of the backfield. He's still got time on his side.

He's still got tom Moore, as you mentioned above.

He's also still got Bill Polian as President, who has had success where ever he has went.

I just don't see any major obstacles in his path that might make it difficult for him to get to the record.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as Manning doesn't get injured, he will almost certainly break all those records. He's a great player, and he's benefitted statistically from being on a team with a good offense and not-so-good defense.

I think Manning deserves almost all of the accolades he gets, though. It is amazing to watch him run an offense. Even when he was in college, he already looked like a very good NFL QB.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also believe that injuries may play a part in setting some of these passing records. Manning has been very lucky injury wise so far but, when looking 5-7 years down the road it is diffucult to gauge if he holds up. Favre will be damn hard to catch.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. He's got to play for a long time yet and keep putting up almost realistic numbers every season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll break em. Manning said he wants to play until he's 38. Unless he gets hurt multiple times (as in misses 20+ games for the rest of his career) he'll break them. The only thing that will hold Peyton back is injuries. Then again if Favre plays another two more years then it could be interesting.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way Peyton does it by 38.

1. That team will get worse EVENTUALLY! (lol, damn theyre good)
2. NO WAY he stays healthy and doesnt miss some games. It is a MIRACLE favre has done it. I dont expect it to happen to someone else so soon.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Will Peyton Manning break the passing records set by Fav

No way Peyton does it by 38.

1. That team will get worse EVENTUALLY! (lol, damn theyre good)
2. NO WAY he stays healthy and doesnt miss some games. It is a MIRACLE favre has done it. I dont expect it to happen to someone else so soon.

Manning will hit 300 touchdown passes before he turns 32. That's pretty amazing. So if he plays 6 more years after he turns 32 and he's at 300 he'll just need to average 20 a year for the next 6 to reach 420 for his career.

All he needs is 25 this year to get to 300 so he'll probably have between 305 and 310 after the year. Favre assuming he throws 20 this year will end up with 434. So it's well in reach.

One thing Indy has done is keep that team in tact on the offensive end. Harrison, Wayne, and Addai aren't going anywhere for a while. Now they just drafted Anthony Gonzalez. He's going to have talent around him much longer than Favre did.

It's almost unfair.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah i agree

i just dont think theres any way that indy team continues to be great offensively, and i dont think theres any way he stays uninjured.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the real way to ask this question: If you were forced to bet 1 year of your salary, would you bet that Manning will eventually break Favres records or not???

I would bet my money on NO, he wont break the records. Too many things need to continue as they are to keep that pace.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said pretty much what i think. keeping pace is hard. i think at some point the talent around him will diminish and his numbers will drop. He will probably be injured more as he gets older. I'd be surprised if he breaks all the records. i wouldn't be suprised if he gets one or two. If the stars line up just right for Peyton over the next 8 or 9 seasons he will break all the records, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong. he won't do it.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have no idea if Manning will hold up long enough, but I DO know this...once Favre finally retires, the NFL will start REALLY tooting the horns of publicity for Manning as he adds to his totals. They'll start a countdown for every record Favre holds. It'll be a NEW way to hype the league. But all Packers fans will hate it since most are huge Favre fans, too.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Manning break his consecutive starts thing either. He's been starting since Day 1 of his NFL career.

Will Manning break all of Favre's records? I really think he will, especially if Marvin Harrison continues to stay around playing at the level that he consistently plays at.

While Manning is definite a great QB, probably even better than Favre at that respect, there's one thing that he's had that Brett hasn't--continuity. Manning has has had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Edgerrin James pretty much his whole career. Sure, now he has a Joseph Addai, but nobody cares about that.

Favre has had a Sterling Sharpe, a Robert Brooks, an Antonio Freeman, a Bo Jackson, a Mark Chmura, an Edger Bennett, a Dorsey Levens, an Ahman Green, an Andre Rison, a Terry Glenn, a Javon Walker... Along with that, I never even mentioned the Earl Dotsons, the Frank Winters, the Mike Flanagans... Favre for the latter part of his career has always had to adjust to new offenses.

Peyton Manning has nearly had ten years of Tom Moore's system, with the same plays, and the same players. Of course he looks smart, because he's been playing in the same offense forever.

Think of that. This is why Manning gets all this baloney about being the most intelligent QB in the NFL. This is why Manning is gonna break all the records.

He's said it himself. Do you think he's just publically being modest about the stats he puts up? Of course not. He gives his offensive line, players, and coaching all the credit. Manning knows his players, and that's why he trusts them. That's why Manning to Harrison is the new, probably better, version of Montana to Rice.

Off the topic a little bit, but when the hell did Favre ever play with Bo Jackson?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Here is the thing with the consecutive starts... Manning is not elusive in the backfield at all, although Favre is getting more and more stiff in the pocket Peyton is a post back there. Once Glenn starts to decline, someplace along the way Manning is going to take a couple of hard shots... I don't think he will break that one.

The others... probably :(

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something to think about when calculating mannings total stats, Nobody is as good at the end of their career as they were towards the beginning, thats why they retire. He may or may not break the records only time will tell, but I think him having 70000+ passing yards is out of the question.
Just my 2 cents.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good question. However, when Manning gets older and if his production begins to decrease, he starts to get banged up and his team isn't what it used to be, will he continue to play? Because there are records to be broken?

I think EVERY passing record is well w/in Manning's grasp... ONly Manning can dtermine how many he wants to break.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I saw on the preview was "Will Peyton Manning..." and I thought to myself...oh for the love of god this better not be "Will Peyton Manning sign with Green Bay at the end of his contract"...my blood pressure rose for a second.

If ANYONE breaks Favre's record, and the only record I care about really is the starts streak...Manning shows that toughness to do so...whether or not he gets that lucky remains to be seen

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Manning, 9 seasons

tds 275---1.9 per game
comp 3131---21.7 per game
yards 37586---261 per game
144 games

Brett after 9 seasons 92-2000
tds 255---1.78 per game
comp 2997---20.95 per game
yards 34634---242.19 per game
143 games

~~~~~~~~~`

If Manning can continue this he MIGHT shatter it all

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It depends on alot of "ifs".
IF he doesn't get injured, which COULD happen any game.
IF his current WR's remain on the team, and playing at a high level.
Favre is the only QB to start as many games in a row as he has, and Manning MIGHT break the records, IF he remains healthy.

Members online

Latest posts