Will Nance get the start?

phinfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Ryan Grant out and Dmitri Nance most likely in, do you think he will get the start over Jackson?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Ryan Grant out and Dmitri Nance most likely in, do you think he will get the start over Jackson?
FF advice? Pick Jackson, stay away from Nance. If he carries the ball more than 50 times THE SEASON, I'll wear nothing but a Vikings jersey and run around screaming "I love Jared Allen".

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dimitri Nance Stats, Splits, News, Photos - Arizona State Sun Devils - NCAA College Football - ESPN

Thats college days, not a fumbler

Dimitri Nance, Arizona State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Dimitri Nance is tough inside runner who is rarely tackled for a loss. He possesses a thick, compact build perfect for his playing style, and has nice vision and balance. He also displays good patience when waiting for blocks to set up and is a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Nance was a highly decorated running back at Trinity High School, a prep football powerhouse in Euless, Texas. As a senior, he joined current Bengals running back Cedric Benson as the only two players in Texas 5A football history to rush for over 3,000 yards in a single season, as he carried 341 times for 3,173 yards and 41 touchdowns.

His performance made him a unanimous choice for District 6-5A Offensive Player of the Year honors. The prep standout received scholarship offers from Arizona State, Houston, Louisiana-Monroe, New Mexico State and UTEP, but ultimately chose to sign with the Sun Devils.

Nance enrolled at Arizona State in 2006 and immediately began contributing as one of the top freshman backs in the Pac-10 Conference. He saw action in all but two games, despite playing behind current Washington Redskins Ryan Torain. The first-year freshman rushed for 229 yards and three touchdowns on 56 carries.

Nance again served as a backup to Torain during his sophomore season, but made his first career start against Texas in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl after Torain went down with a foot injury. He carried 18 times for 48 yards in a losing effort. Nance would finish the year gaining 500 yards and seven touchdowns on 133 carries.

Nance saw his starting duties from 2007 carry over into his junior season. He started the first six contests of the season before giving way to Keegan Herring and Shawn DeWitty. He played in 11 games and carried 105 times for 410 yards and three touchdowns while splitting time.

After patiently waiting his turn, Nance emerged as the fulltime starting running back as a senior. He played in every game of the season for the first time in his career and led the team with 795 yards and six touchdowns on 188 carries. Nance also showed his value as a receiving threat, catching 28 passes for 216 yards and one touchdown. The conference coaches awarded his performance with All-Pac-10 Conference honorable mention accolades.

Dimitri Nance - College Football

Nance is a thick, well-built back who runs with good leverage and knows how to push the pile on contact. He isn't explosive when attacking the line of scrimmage and possesses an average first step, but he gets up to speed quickly.

He takes short, compact steps and displays impressive balance between the tackles. He's sudden and slippery in tight areas and has the wiggle to make a man miss and can create on his own at the line. He's patient at the line of scrimmage and showcases good vision and instincts when setting up blocks and attacking the second level.

Nance doesn't have the type of second gear to consistently run away from defenders in space and isn't quite as shifty once he reaches full speed, but he does a nice job of lowering his head and finishing runs. He's a natural cutback runner with impressive lateral quickness and range.

He catches the ball well out of the backfield and showcases good coordination and hands in the pass game. He plays with the strength and overall natural leverage to hold his own as a blocker.

He isn't a big play threat who can take it the distance, but he definitely is one of the more dynamic runners in tight area in this year's draft.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I don't see why we can't make a push for one of Dallas' running backs. I think Tashard Choice would be the perfect running balance to our passing attack.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
One article said the Packers looked at Willie Parker and took Nance instead. I wonder what the problem was with Parker?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he wont be a starter. ...there have been a lot of tears on here today, but overall i think we can STILL carry on and we have most of the weapons we need.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
he wont be a starter. ...there have been a lot of tears on here today, but overall i think we can STILL carry on and we have most of the weapons we need.

I remember when Majik went down, we thought it was the end of the world. Then someone stepped in and picked up the job the Majik man never got back. Here's hoping Brandon Jackson becomes an explosive runner. Grant was a serviceable runner, but it would be great to have someone with explosion.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I was thinking of that too, and Nance came from Atlanta, (do we just steal the potential stars from that team?)

vegasdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nance may not be a game day active let alone start.

Bio above sounds interesting - my kind of running back.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way Nance starts unless Jackson has a complete meltdown or uncurable case of fumblitis. I think TT has realized that GB needs more depth at that position than they originally thought. I think this is a perfect situation to make a move for a good back. I'm not saying trade for a feature back, not at all. Yet I think a back with some experience, and has good protection skills, along with receiving ability, would be a good idea. They could work in as a 3rd down back and spell Jackson. Then maybe we find out they are good enough to give us a decent 1-2 punch. There is a lot of talent out there, and I'd bet the farm that GB wouldn't have to sacrifice too much to get some.

Reaction score
i think jackson will start ... kuhn will also see some action. if we get a ahead by maybe 2 touchdowns bring in nance for some runs .... does this lead green bay to maybe look for a new RB in next years draft:think:

packerfan1441

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I see Nance starting is if Jackson really struggles to get the running game moving, and we struggle offensively because of it.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone else believe in murphys law? and that if theyd kept 3 RB's grant wouldnt have gotten hurt? (inverse murphys)

lol

billysofly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
think they are just gonna use him near goal line like they did with devenport back then since hes about that size just to let Kuhn rest on some downs near the goal line

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Start? No way.

I'm sure he'll see a lot of playing time this season, but I highly doubt he'll start.

I'm still surprised we picked him up, and not Kregg Lumpkin. Did Lumpkin already sign with another team?

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FF advice? Pick Jackson, stay away from Nance. If he carries the ball more than 50 times THE SEASON, I'll wear nothing but a Vikings jersey and run around screaming "I love Jared Allen".

Not sure if you are a religious man. But you better pray Jackson doesn't get hurt. Can't have one of our moderators running around screaming that he loves Jared Allen.:suicide_fool-edit:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts