Will MVP be decided this Sunday?

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Whoever comes out with the win this Sunday gets bragging rights as the current "best team" in the NFL, but I also think that the winning QB will emerge as the clear-cut favorite for the MVP. The Russell Wilson/Andrew Luck hype train has pretty much stalled and DeMarco Murray is finally starting to look a little human (though still by far the best RB this year), so I think it's safe to say Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are the front-runners for this years' MVP. That being said, voters will take a close look at this game at the end of the year when it's time to pick the league's best player.

What does everyone else think?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game does have potential QB duel written all over it but I think MVP talk is still too early.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it comes down to Brady/Rodgers for MVP at the end of the season, their performances in this game will be a part of the analysis but I don't think it will be too big. The overall numbers always overshadow individual game performances. How the player does down the stretch will also be more important, as the voters tend to remember last impressions.

I'm just going to enjoy watching two of the best play against one another. I guess that it's now somewhat acceptable to use the analogy of Bird vs Magic.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Whoever comes out with the win this Sunday gets bragging rights as the current "best team" in the NFL, but I also think that the winning QB will emerge as the clear-cut favorite for the MVP. The Russell Wilson/Andrew Luck hype train has pretty much stalled and DeMarco Murray is finally starting to look a little human (though still by far the best RB this year), so I think it's safe to say Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are the front-runners for this years' MVP. That being said, voters will take a close look at this game at the end of the year when it's time to pick the league's best player.

What does everyone else think?
So if AR goes say 15-27 for 196 yards 1 pick 1 TD and Lacy goes off for 225yds and 4 TDs with the Packers winning 41-34 Rodgers would impress the MVP voters more than a 21 for 28 375yd 4 TD Brady performance?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are too many games left to tell but this certainly could play a factor. I think whoever wins will have the slight advantage immediately afterwards. If one of the QB's has a terrible game(which I don't see happening) it could end their MVP hopes.

OP
OP
nlferts

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if AR goes say 15-27 for 196 yards 1 pick 1 TD and Lacy goes off for 225yds and 4 TDs with the Packers winning 41-34 Rodgers would impress the MVP voters more than a 21 for 28 375yd 4 TD Brady performance?

I think it would completely depend on the type of throws Rodgers made. Of course the case can be made that "Lacy had the hot hand" and thus deserved more carries and that would be completely valid, resulting in lackluster numbers for Rodgers. But if Rodgers was making poor plays thus necessitating Lacy to carry the ball, then I think the result was favor Brady more.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me for a player on my team getting the MVP is the second best thing.
The first? The Super Bowl MVP.

Reaction score
I think this game won't affect an MVP decision directly.. but indirectly it puts GB at a strict advantage and very possibly a #1 or #2 seed going into the playoffs.. which by virtue increases our chances of success deeper into the playoffs for obvious reasons (or a shot at another title) At which point, Aaron just needs to be Aaron.. and let the Cards fall as they may (pun intended)​

OP
OP
nlferts

nlferts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every once in a while some politician who has died in office still gets re-elected. Don't you get the feeling that MVP voters are going to do something similar when it comes to Manning?

Not really. Manning isn't putting up the historic numbers he was last year, not to mention Brady and Rodgers have just been flat out better. I would give the MVP to Murray before Manning honestly.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and no. At the end of the season this will be looked at as an important game. No in the fact that they could both be out of it due to other factors before the end of the season

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP voters are sportscasters whom are watching most of the games every week and know what is going on. The Pro Bowl gets votes from coaches, players, and fans. The coaches and players pretty much are focused week-to-week on their next opponent and maybe their fantasy football team with an occasional viewing of Sportscenter. Fans are typically a little biased themselves, so they tend to vote more from memory just like the coaches and players.

The dead politician comparison works better for Pro Bowl selection than the MVP

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Murray ends up Being MVP. Maybe Brady if he goes all the way.

Members online

Latest posts