Will History Repeat Itself In Indy?

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ns-trading-manning?module=HP11_headline_stack

Was really taken back by what Dungy said.

Trade Manning? Are you kidding?!
Not saying it will happen but the fact that he even mentioned it surprises me!

Now I can appreciate the fact that your always looking towards the future, but Dungy, Peyton is the reason you still have a job!

Real kick in the nuts for Manning if you ask me, especially for what hes done for the organisation.

Its a different situation with Favre but you can understand the similarities.
Would be weird seeing 18 in a different jersey.

Reaction score
I don't think it is a kick in the nuts. Manning understands the business of football, and with Peyton, the Colts will never get a shot at another Superbowl. Not because of Manning, but because of the players around him. So why not trade him, get a couple 1st or 2nd's for him and start to build your football team again. You would also get a pretty decent quarterback in Andrew Luck right off the bat next year.

OP
OP
Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is a kick in the nuts. Manning understands the business of football, and with Peyton, the Colts will never get a shot at another Superbowl. Not because of Manning, but because of the players around him. So why not trade him, get a couple 1st or 2nd's for him and start to build your football team again. You would also get a pretty decent quarterback in Andrew Luck right off the bat next year.

But look at what this team is without him? plus he just signed a 5 year deal worth 90 million or something.

I just think its a bit low tbh, if it does happen I hope it bites Dungy in the ***.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Well Dungy has a point.

A few weeks ago, their owner said they'd be 4-1 if Manning was playing.

Just look at their defense...Good one week, bad the next. Just because you lost a quarterback don't mean you should be 0-6 with all those caliber team players on defense. They can't stop the run, and for the record, they had a lot of trouble stopping the run last year. They also are having a lot of trouble running the ball.

If Manning was playing they'd be 4-2 or 3-3, with a defense that cannot stop anybody.

Part of the reason they've been so successful the last decade is playing in a weak division. I would like to see the Texans make the playoffs, but they still have problems.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Colts have the first pick and if the Colts believe Luck is far and away the best player available, IMO they'd be fools not to take him. Doing so would no more mean Peyton would have to be traded than it meant a gunslinging QB had to be traded after Rodgers was drafted. Manning will be 36 next March. He may never play again. If he plays again, he may be one hit away from never playing again. While that can be said of every football player, it's particularly true of an old, statue-like QB with a tricky neck. Making the argument of how important a great QB is to their team reinforces the acquisition of a young, (perhaps) great QB, it doesn't contradict it IMO.

Reaction score
But look at what this team is without him? plus he just signed a 5 year deal worth 90 million or something.

I just think its a bit low tbh, if it does happen I hope it bites Dungy in the ***.
Wait, you realize Dungy isn't on the Colts anymore right? You do realize he is an analyst?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish Dungy would be quiet. I know he is an analyst now but when it comes to the Colts it often makes me cringe.

I am 100% down with taking Luck if we are in position to take him. You just don't pass on a QB like that. Polian has often said you don't pass on a great passer or pass rusher.

With that being said, it still remains to be seen how Manning will be in the future. I am not one of the roses and sunshine fans who think all will be fine. This is a very serious issue he has been recovering from and part of me wonders even if he returns how long he will be able to go for. What baffles me most is why he has not been placed on IR yet this year.

Dungy also does not have the inside track on our team anymore. He said before the season Peyton would start. He said we would re-sign Bob Sanders. He is not part of this team anymore.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Well Dungy has a point.

Just look at their defense...Good one week, bad the next. Just because you lost a quarterback don't mean you should be 0-6 with all those caliber team players on defense. They can't stop the run, and for the record, they had a lot of trouble stopping the run last year. They also are having a lot of trouble running the ball.

If Manning was playing they'd be 4-2 or 3-3, with a defense that cannot stop anybody.

Part of the reason they've been so successful the last decade is playing in a weak division. I would like to see the Texans make the playoffs, but they still have problems.

We don't have a good defensive coach on the team. Dungy was one even though we had some bad defenses, he knew how to fix things (see the 2006 postseason turnaround) and make excellent halftime adjustments.

Jim Caldwell is an offensive coach first and our DC Larry Coyer is awful. There is no reason Coyer should be back next season.

We have sorely missed a defensive presence since Tony has left. We still have Freeney and Mathis though but if they get shut out of a game we are screwed.

Our D is also built to have a lead. Which, makes no sense to me how you build a defense around your QB too, but they did. We are built to have a lead and let loose our pass rush. Without Manning here to put up points on a regular basis on most drives our defense is much more ineffective then usual. Painter has not been as bad as people think either. I think the team is just falling apart a bit at the seams and has no identity.

Hey, all good things come to an end eventually and I accept this.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Dungy has a point.

18to88.com had a great argument in favor (with some solid evidence) of them being 4-1 with manning.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I don't think the Colts lose to the Steelers/Browns/Bucs with Manning the way those games went. Texans a tossup on the road so I'll say loss. They gave it to us good week 1 last year.

At Bengals? Probably a win for us. Peyton usually beats Cincy.

Chiefs? Tough one, since it was really our D that blew it but our offense stopped scoring. Chiefs gave Peyton issues at times last year but I think we would take this one.

So yes with Manning I say the Colts have 1 loss right now.

No way to prove it but history is on my side too based on how this team is built. Saddest thing is the Colts wasted 2 and a half games with Kerry Collins. I wish Painter looking back was out there week 1.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ideally the Colts should want to take Luck, and keep Manning. Let me say this, with no disrespect to Packers legend Brett Favre...Favre handled the Rodgers thing poorly. If you have a talent like Rodgers sitting behind you, you can't afford to play the retirement game season after season. Eventually it will wear thin, and it did. Also Favre was not a mentor, he didn't want to teach Rodgers to be a QB in the NFL...he even said as much when asked. Something to the tune of, it wasn't his job to teach. I think Manning would handle the situation a lot better. I think Manning would really work with Luck to show him the right way to do it. A talent like Luck, with Manning showing him how to prepare...could be a great successor.

Now, if that situation doesn't pan out...say the Colts are not contenders anymore (because they are going to have to rebuild that team) maybe it is best for Manning to be traded to a team with a real shot. Manning at most has 3 - 4 years left of great play. If anyone can come back it is him, but even with Manning this year, I think the Colts would have been in a dogfight to make the playoffs. They were crumbling last year, despite what everyone wants to believe. Manning may be done a huge favor if he is traded to a team lacking only a QB. Lets see...teams that should grab Manning even if they won't...

Jets
Vikings
Ravens
Cowboys

All of these teams have "entrenched QBs' as their starters. However, I truly believe Jerry Jones would pull the trigger on that deal. That's the kind of move that is right up his ally. If Romo botches this season, I'd wager they'd be in the Manning sweepstakes. I hate the Cowboys, but that would be Manning's best opportunity to win another ring before hanging them up. The Ravens won't deal for him, they'll ride out Flacco...which is a damn shame cause with him the Ravens would be down right dominant. Same with the Jets, I don't think they'll jettison the Shanchize yet, but they should.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
It's a wait and see situation with Manning. We don't know what is going to happen yet.

Rumor has been he has been working closely with Eli this year though on the side. Breaking down film with him and everything. He has also been working with Painter and before that Collins.

Maybe coaching is in Peyton's future.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I DO NOT want Luck to develop under Manning! It's not fair. At all.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I DO NOT want Luck to develop under Manning! It's not fair. At all.

Oh come on. Give us something to look forward to? lol

I will say we have tough tough competition with the Dolphins. They bring suckage to a new level. We might win a few games when least expected if the ball bounces our way. Oh and we are missing our left tackle, rookie Castonzo. Big big loss. He has been out since the early parts of the Bucs game.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh come on. Give us something to look forward to? lol

I will say we have tough tough competition with the Dolphins. They bring suckage to a new level. We might win a few games when least expected if the ball bounces our way. Oh and we are missing our left tackle, rookie Castonzo. Big big loss. He has been out since the early parts of the Bucs game.

He's not gonna play in MIA. He'll make a public statement saying he doesn't want to play for them if they give up a 15 pt lead against DEN. Eli did it.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Peyton knows Luck. He is the one who told him to stay in school this year.

Peyton sees the future?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Oh God this is so sad so far. This team, this team.......

The Packers have to save my football soul this year by repeating in the Colts stadium. This is Rodgers time.

edit: Wow. This Colts team is bad. It's really really bad. I am speechless almost. Also, the fight they had weeks ago is gone......they are starting to give up.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
i feel bad for the colts i thought in 07 we would be nothin without farve but i was wrong but with indy peyton is the team

It goes beyond Manning though. He was great but he was the last piece I felt held this team together. The others were men like Dungy/Moore and Mudd. The coaching staff and leadership has greatly declined. Just looking at all the sulky faces on our sideline makes me sick at times.If I see Reggie Wayne staring off into space just once more.......

This team has not been the same in spirit I feel since the decision by the coaches/FO to not go for a 16-0 season. Until that game this was one of the most inspirational teams I had seen finding new ways to win all the time. They ripped a part of their competitive spirit out that day and helped start what is now the pesky Jets.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As unfair as it is for the Colts to get Manning for 13 maybe more years then potentially a solid-great QB like Andrew Luck man they reallllly need someone to lead that team. 62-7? Ouch.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Did you guys watch last night?

The Colts ENTIRE TEAM is terrible!!!
That was possibly Drew Brees' best career game, with only 4 incompletions and 5 Touchdowns. He had more TD's than incomplete passes.

Pittsburgh was 8-6 without Roethlisberger, New England 10-7 without Brady, and then Indianapolis is 0-7 without Manning.

It's easy to say with Manning they'd be winning, but I don't know. After watching the Saints slam a wrecking ball into them last night, you cannot convince me Manning would have won them that game, when their defense could not stop the Saints at all, and they were running it most of the night at that. Had Manning played that game, they still would have lost, because their defense is down right terrible. They let the Saints rack up 200 rushing yards on them, how often do you see the Saints put that many on the board? They didn't call a single passing play after benching Brees going into the 4th quarter, and pretty much didn't need to as Ingram and Sproles moved the chains along with Thomas. New Orleans scored on 9 straight possessions. They didn't punt the ball until late in the 4th quarter after benching all their starters.

That was probably the biggest beat down in the Colts franchise history (including their years in Baltimore), and when it was 55-7, the Saints had already broken their franchise record of most points scored in a game, I didn't believe they'd get a chance to push it to 62.

Their terrible defense gave up 36 first downs, and let the Saints rack up 557 total yards.
Manning is a whole seperate issue. This entire team needs a rebuild. Quarterback is not the only problem when your defense gets totally slaughtered by an elite offense, when this defense has been a top 10 one the last few years.

Members online

Latest posts