Will haha be a superstar?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that headline is a tad misleading lol. Im excited for the future of the position though nonetheless

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to find out if we have our next star on the team or we are still waiting to draft him

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he turns out to be a elite ball-hawk, I can overlook his tackling. Elite ball-hawks are nice to have in themselves. Just look at Deion Sanders. His tackling sucked, but he was always around the Football creating turnovers and he was a shut down CB. I know Dix plays Safety and not CB, but the point remains the same. Ive seen plenty of ball-hawking Safeties who played a long time that were not great tacklers.

Its easy to overlook tackling weaknesses in a player if they are great at getting INT's and covering well. Dix showed flashes of these things last season....especially in the playoffs. He seems to be one of those big game players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes...perhaps....maybe? Waayyyy to early in his career to tell. He looked great at times and then he looked like a spastic puppy at other times <cough> two-point conversion <cough>....you can't really tell with most players until you see how devoted they are over the off-season. We'll find out a lot about devoted HaHa was this summer in training camp.

H

HardRightEdge

Superstar? Highly doubt it. I want to see him become a good tackler. His technique needs a lot of work.
Correct. Among current safeties, Earl Thomas is the closest thing approximating a "superstar". To get in that conversation, a guy has to be equal parts QB-fear-instilling, ball hawk and smash mouth.

Can Clinton-Dix improve his tackling? Sure. Can he get to "top drawer tackler"? Highly, highly doubtful.

If he gets 8 picks one year he'll surely make the Pro Bowl, probably All Pro, because that's how safeties are judged in that kind of thing.

Potential to be a very good player? Sure. Superstar? He'll never be Earl Thomas.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's dumb to say he'll never be Earl Thomas-esque. He was a 21 year old rookie last year and played pretty well. He's been a blue chip/ 5 star recruit his entire life, he has every tool needed to be a star. Time will tell, but to say he'll never live up to "x" player is extremely premature.

D

Deleted member 6794

It´s way too early to tell if Clinton-Dix will be able to turn into a superstar. He stabilized a position in dire need of an upgrade last season, especially providing much needed help in coverage. There´s no doubt he has to improve his tackling but I think overall he did fine during his rookie season.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care if he attains "superstar" status, I just want good solid play from him down after down.
After all, If he were to attain "superstar" status he will be playing somewhere else because Ted isn't going to pay "superstar" money to a safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

After all, If he were to attain "superstar" status he will be playing somewhere else because Ted isn't going to pay "superstar" money to a safety.

Thompson signed Nick Collins and Morgan Burnett to lucrative contracts so there´s no reason to believe he wouldn´t hand out one for Clinton-Dix.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone seems to ignore the fact that this guy was generally always around the ball last year. Which is miles of difference between the constant out of position safety play we had grown accustomed to. I am confident that a rookie constantly around the ball with some missed tackles due to bad angles, over pursuit, etc... has a much better chance of being great then a safety who can't even find the ball.

Of course now I am thinking about a certain two point conversion and all I can say is wtf...

H

HardRightEdge

Everyone seems to ignore the fact that this guy was generally always around the ball last year. Which is miles of difference between the constant out of position safety play we had grown accustomed to. I am confident that a rookie constantly around the ball with some missed tackles due to bad angles, over pursuit, etc... has a much better chance of being great then a safety who can't even find the ball.

Of course now I am thinking about a certain two point conversion and all I can say is wtf...
I don't think anybody is overlooking the fact that Dix was an overdue upgrade. But saying he's a lot better than Jennings is different from projecting him as a "superstar".

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'll go beyond Ace calling the headline "a tad misleading": IMO the remarkable thing about the use of the word "superstar" is how misleading it is - in the SB Nation story, not this thread. The headline asks the question and the body of the story is just a normal review of the safety position going into this season. Nowhere does it make the argument for or against him becoming a superstar. I kind of agree with yooperpackfan - while I do care if he becomes a superstar, as long as he continues to get better and build on his rookie season, I'll be happy.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea the word "superstar" is kind of weird, I think there's probably only one db superstar in the league, Richard Sherman, and he's a fantastic player, but that's more because of his personality and exposure that made him such a star. I think rather than the term superstar, "all-pro" is more fitting because then you got guys like Revis, Thomas,Byrd, berry, chancellor, mccourty, Peterson, etc. I think HaHa could definitely find himself in that group one day.

Brett Favre 4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was absolutely shocked and super excited when Ha Ha slipped down to us, because I watched him throughout his career (I'm a college football junkie) and all I ever seen him do was make big time plays in big time moments. Just look how he progressed as the season went along, and in the NFC Championship game, he was masterful. So for me, I'm going to say he's going to not only be great, but become one of the greatest to ever do it period, if he can stay healthy. That's how much stock I put into him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just look how he progressed as the season went along, and in the NFC Championship game, he was masterful.

Until he completely messed up on the two-point conversion.

Don't get me wrong though, I liked the pick and the way Clinton-Dix played as a rookie and expect him to improve further.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most of you are saying I feel it is way too early to answer the question with any certainty. I do feel as though he has all the natural ability and skill to become a superstar type safety. There typically isn't a huge difference in talent when you get to the league. Yes, there are some cats that are the freakiest of the freaks but for the most part the talent differential is pretty slim. The attributes that separate the good from the great are work ethic and mental preparation. I honestly believe if HHCD breaks enough tape and keeps his mind in the proper state he can become one of the elite at the position. He played on a collegiate powerhouse and was a huge part of it's success. He had a up and down year as most rookies do but did manage to make some huge plays in some huge games and that bodes well for both he and the Packers. He may not be the next Earl Thomas but we don't need him to be. We need him to be the best HHCD he can be and I for one think that will be more than enough to earn him superstar status at his position so long as he handles his mental bidness...

G P G!!!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that mental preparation and work ethic is very important. I think their innate instinctiveness, confidence and intuition are what separates the truly great "superstars" from the good players.

Members online

Latest posts