Will Donald Driver be a Packer next season?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD is due $5 million next season so it made me wonder what do you guys think the chances are he will be on the packers next season? Thats alot of change to pay Rodger's 4th option.

Reaction score
as long as he gets around 500 yards next year, (with Jones, Nelson, and Finley) that would be a good average for a receiver thats a 2nd /split for 2nd/3rd receiver.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's due that $5 million because, in my mind, he's earned it. Leader on and off the field, class act, and he's still out their playing with heart and determination:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eATwE9YT7Mw]YouTube - Donald Driver Amazing 61 Yard TD Catch and Run...Packers vs. 49ers 2010[/ame]

If he makes just one highlight reel like this next season, its worth it imo.

BTW, when we say 'next season', are we referring to next year or the next NFL season, whenever that might be, or does it not make a difference...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Next season (if in 2011) he will be I think....They may say, hey can we re-do your deal..and I believe he will

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD will be back as long as he wants.

This is not like the Favre scenario. There can be up to 5 receivers on the field. His history with the team warrants the money. TT did the same with Clifton and Tauscher...

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if his production lowers, his valuable knowledge of the position and overall leadership as a veteran helps control emotions for rookies and peers. He's def worth $5 mil. Why not retire a Packer?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011 WR Depth Chart

#1- Jennings
#2- Jones
#3- Jordy
#4- Driver
#5- Rookie, who is our starting PR & KR

By Driver coming off the bench, it allows James Jones to stay and eventually blossom into a perennial 70-catch, 1,000 yard receiver along side Greg Jennings.
I see those 2 + Jordy becoming like the triplets the Vikings had for a few years when they had Cris Carter, Randy Moss, and Jake Reed.
And remember, injuries are likely to occur and each of those guys are able to play any of the WR positions, X, Z, etc. We need them all.
Driver is still great, make no mistake about it. It's just that his chicken legs finally got some injuries last season. That's not necessarily a sign of things to come for him, could be a fluke. Let's hope it was.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he will be back, next season and the season after at the very least.

Donald Driver is true grit...he is a legendary Packer, and will retire a Packer.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Jones will be gone in free agency which will make Driver's return much more likely. My guess for the depth chart is Jennings, Nelson, Driver, rookie. I don't think he stays as long as he wants though, particularly if he's even half-way serious about playing until he's 40 - that's not the Thompson way. And boy, I just can't see one great play justifying next season's salary. He may deserve it for other reasons but not just for one play IMO.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I know its a lot of scratch, but one of the things that most bothers me about present day football is that there are too many mercenaries willing to sell themselves to the highest bidder, but I also believe loyalty is a two-way street and if we want players to be loyal then teams should be loyal. DD has always done right by us and I, for one, hope we do right by him and keep him a Packer until he retires. Just my opinion (I don't have to pay the bills).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Trading players, free agency, including signing undrafted free agents (where the Packers struck gold with Tramon Williams - the Texans signed and cut him first - and Sam Shields) will have to wait until the new CBA is done. I am assuming the new CBA will declare players with 4 or more years of service UFAs.

I just can't believe the owners or the players are so foolish as to kill or even wound the goose laying the huge golden eggs.

L

Lunchboxer

2011 WR Depth Chart

#1- Jennings
#2- Jones
#3- Jordy
#4- Driver
#5- Rookie, who is our starting PR & KR

By Driver coming off the bench, it allows James Jones to stay and eventually blossom into a perennial 70-catch, 1,000 yard receiver along side Greg Jennings.
I see those 2 + Jordy becoming like the triplets the Vikings had for a few years when they had Cris Carter, Randy Moss, and Jake Reed.
And remember, injuries are likely to occur and each of those guys are able to play any of the WR positions, X, Z, etc. We need them all.
Driver is still great, make no mistake about it. It's just that his chicken legs finally got some injuries last season. That's not necessarily a sign of things to come for him, could be a fluke. Let's hope it was.

I would not have Jones that high on the WR chart just yet. If he stops droping balls then maybe.

It should go.

Jennings
Jordy
Driver
then Jones.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will keep him. He's like our old faithful, reliable and dependable. I don't think we should break down the elements of our receiving corps if we hope to build a dynasty that is going to yield to multiple Superbowl wins. I think DD is an important, solid part of that receiving corps, he fits well with the offenses and is responsible for his part in its overall success. Why monkey with a dynamic that is working so well?

Perhaps renegotiate his contract if $5mil is too steep so they can make room for other players? But for the love of God above, keep this gem of a player on our team!

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think they will keep him. He's like our old faithful, reliable and dependable. I don't think we should break down the elements of our receiving corps if we hope to build a dynasty that is going to yield to multiple Superbowl wins. I think DD is an important, solid part of that receiving corps, he fits well with the offenses and is responsible for his part in its overall success. Why monkey with a dynamic that is working so well?

Perhaps renegotiate his contract if $5mil is too steep so they can make room for other players? But for the love of God above, keep this gem of a player on our team!

DD seems like the type of player who would take a pay cut to stay with the team, as I remember Gilbert Brown. Wishful thinking?

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt he will be back at least one more year and he deserves to be back at that number. One of the greatest Packers of all-time.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
weird, i figured someone would say its time to move on. I personally would cut him if he didnt take a pay cut at $5 million. Not even close to being worth it for the production in my opinion. And DD is my favorite packer of all time.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
weird, i figured someone would say its time to move on. I personally would cut him if he didnt take a pay cut at $5 million. Not even close to being worth it for the production in my opinion. And DD is my favorite packer of all time.
Depends what the salary cap is (if there is one). If we can afford to keep him at that price, then whatever. If we can't then he's either got to restructure or leave.

I don't know why people think Thompson won't do it. Once you trade Favre, anything's possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts