Will Cobb be a threat to Jordy Nelson this year?

Will Cobb replace Nelson by week 10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep wondering why people think Nelson should be behind Jones on the depth chart. Nelson proved to be a better receiver last season. Extension or not, if anyone should be watching their back, it should be Jones IMO.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
I really don't think Jordy or Jones have much to worry about this year as far as the depth chart goes. Cobb looked good in preseason with what McCarthy said was a pretty simple gameplan. The Packers have a fairly complex offense and it will probably take Cobb a while to really grasp all of it. I'm excited about Cobb too but it usually takes at least two years for a WR to make a real big impact in the NFL.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Look How Jordy played in the Super Bowl, even with a knee so damaged he couldn't walk after the game. Takes time to master this offense. I defiantly think we are going to see allot of him though.

Reaction score
Let's just say..
Jennings - 10/10
Driver - 9/10
Jones - 8/10
Nelson - 8/10
Cobb - 7/10
He's still a beast but he won't start ahead of any of the 4 other beasts on the depth chart this season.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all of the weapons, Cobb will be lucky to get 25-30 receptions this year. Hear me now and believe me later...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
jordy is our only tall deep threat, and one of out best targets in the red zone, behind finley ofcourse. I would say james jones is in more trouble than jordy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Cobb is going to catch onto the offense quick enough to contribute a lot but with the talent ahead of him, including Finley, his opportunities will likely be limited except for injuries. The O is complicated but I think Cobb is smart and football smart.

I’m in the group that has Nelson just a tad ahead of Jones. He’s taller, (I believe) slightly faster, slightly more reliable catching the ball, and blocks better. But both drop too many balls and the first one to clean that up will take a big step forward. OTOH, I think Jones has a higher upside if he can ever realize it. I love the “problem” of having to spread the ball among so many talented receivers – and don’t forget whoever wins the 3rd down RB job – he’s in the mix too. If everything goes well, while it'll be McCarthy deciding who is on the field, it'll be defenses deciding where the ball is going. Pick your poison...

The guy who writes Packer Update posted the thought – not a rumor – that Jones may be back on the trading block. I don’t think so – that doesn’t seem like Thompson’s way. They would have to think someone like Borel is very special to even consider that IMO.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookie WRs dont produce. With a very few exceptions. Nelson has to produce reguardless of what Cobb does. He will be a FA and needs to establish himself as a #2 Wr in this league.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter? I'm saying it right now. Best QB-Receiving tandem in the history of American Football!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we basing this on Cobb's performance in the preseason game against the Browns? I think he will make his presence known rather quickly. I have a good feeling about this guy. As for him threatening other players on our receiving corps, it may be a bit premature to start making those prediction. Give him a year or two and we might be talkin. I think he will make this one of the more dynamic receiving corps that we have seen in some years. He certainly makes me feel even more confident with our offense and we are blessed to have him. Consider him another weapon in our arsenal, quite possibly a fatal one.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have him primarily focus on the return game this season, in the mean time train him to be DDs replacement so when he takes over full time there is very little learning period.

Still think he will be more likely to replace jones on roster, nelson can do almost anything McCarthy would ask (deep, slot, block, etc.) Jones is a better deep threat but that's almost the only aspect of his game and we already have a deep threat in jennings

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol imagine being a defensive coordinator having to game plan against us, it can't be very fun. Well Jennings in their number one, he is going to take advantage of any one on one's so we should probably double him up. Ok so that means Driver, Jones, and Nelson will be in single coverage. Wait who's this Cobb kid? Dang that's a lot of people to cover... Ah crap, Jermichael Finley is back too... WHAT DO WE DO?!!?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You think McCarthy will try using cobb in a wild cat or a little trickery since he can pass? I'm not sure McCarthy likes those kind of plays. Other than the onside kick, I don't remember any trick plays.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt he'll take over Nelson's spot. He's not gonna get that many looks aside from Return duties. Give him time. It wasn't like we played a complex offense against Cleveland and their backup CB weren't super either.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think McCarthy will try using cobb in a wild cat or a little trickery since he can pass? I'm not sure McCarthy likes those kind of plays. Other than the onside kick, I don't remember any trick plays.

You don't remember the fake punt where Flynn tried to get it to Quarless in the first Vikings game?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In the Minnesota/GB I game last season, Matt Flynn was the holder for a FG and wound up picking up the ball and throwing deep to Andrew Quarless. Perfect ball placement that would have been a TD had Quarless not tripped on the damn field.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the Minnesota/GB I game last season, Matt Flynn was the holder for a FG and wound up picking up the ball and throwing deep to Andrew Quarless. Perfect ball placement that would have been a TD had Quarless not tripped on the damn field.

ugh. Quarless, you'd better pick it up. This is not the time to have a sophomore slump.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep wondering why people think Nelson should be behind Jones on the depth chart. Nelson proved to be a better receiver last season. Extension or not, if anyone should be watching their back, it should be Jones IMO.

This is incorrect

Last Years Stats

James Jones 50-679-5

Jordy Nelson 45-582-2

I don't think you should get caught up on the big game Jordy had in the superbowl, he could have had an even bigger game had he not dropped some passes. You have to look at the season as a whole and james jones made a lot more big plays for us. Randall Cobb will fit nicely in the mix when Donald retires which will either be after this season or the next by all accounts.

Also, jordy and randall play different positions.

Go Pack Go

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is incorrect

Last Years Stats

James Jones 50-679-5

Jordy Nelson 45-582-2

I don't think you should get caught up on the big game Jordy had in the superbowl, he could have had an even bigger game had he not dropped some passes. You have to look at the season as a whole and james jones made a lot more big plays for us. Randall Cobb will fit nicely in the mix when Donald retires which will either be after this season or the next by all accounts.

Also, jordy and randall play different positions.

Go Pack Go
That's not looking at the season as a whole, that's just looking at some of their stats from the regular season.

The key drops and fumbles from both guys isn't accounted in there, and the postseason games isn't accounted in there.

I'm not saying any way, that Jones or Nelson is better. All I'm saying is the way you're looking at it doesn't tell if one is better or not, or was better last season.

Members online

Latest posts