Will Blackmon - A precursor to the next NFL generation?

Reaction score
I had this thought, so please do bare with me:

The Packers are only 4 deep at WR. They are also only 4 deep at CB.

Interesting fact is that Blackmon has played both WR and CB, and not to mention KR/PR.

It is possible that Blackmon will cover as the #5 WR for the time being, while also being the #5 CB, and being backup on KR while he gets back into shape. Is it likely he will see the field in all 3 roles? Well I would say the times would dictate whether or not Blackmon will.

But that isn't the main point of my post, it is actually a smooth intro to the main point.

In the NFL, ultimately talent wins you games. Now it is important to have more talent in specific roster positions as opposed to other roster positions. (For example - more important to have a #4 WR than it is to have a #3 QB on the active roster)

While some will disagree, I base my argument on the fact that a #4 WR will see more reps than a #3 QB even if injury never plays a factor, simply because such is the nature of the game. I would also say that if you are down to your #3 QB, than you are in a whole lot more trouble as opposed to inserting your #4 WR to start, and thus will go after signing a QB before you go signing a WR.

While factoring in some positions being more desirable based on the system the coaching staff has in place, there is the eventual fact that only so many players can be kept on a 53 man roster. So at times, teams must cut players that have greater talent than a player that is kept on the roster, simply because the player kept solidifies depth at a key position.

So what my main theory is that the next generation of NFL players will ultimately be in more demand and have higher value if they were able to play multiple positions. I think the next wave of NFL players will in fact be better prepared to play multiple positions in the pros. I beleive now when an "athlete" is spotted at a young age, the coach would like to keep his athlete out there as much as possible, so they have the kid double up on offense and defence. (pyle you will be able to shed more insight here)

So when the kids is playing at the NCAA level, he has experience at two positions which can be further developed in college. Then at the NFL level, he is drafted for a specific position, but also to serve as a backup at another position.

Players like Will Blackmon are the future of the NFL. I believe this because the flexibility they provide is invaluable. Having Blackmon cover as the #5 WR spot (if he does) will have saved us a roster spot which we used on a TE (Humphrey) who can double up as a FB to fill in for our backup to the injured starter, if needed. In turn, this extra insurance has allowed the Packers the confidence to cut ties with ******, who while talented had the nack of being injured and being a poor blocker.

Basically I think Blackmon has allowed the Packer's the luxury of making a few moves they otherwise might not have made. It might seem silly to say that about a guy who has not played a down of even NFL preseason yet, but given his potential and talent thus far, he can't be worse off than having a high priced vet. or rookie players at the bottom of the depth chart for CB and WR. He can't tackle worse than a # 5 CB if we picked one up, or he can't run as bad or catch as bad a #5 WR from the group of Gardner/Lucas/Bookman/Boerigter. Heck he has speed favourly comparable to those mentioned above. So why not take a chance on Blackmon, who has potential, gives good reason to believe he will fulfill some of his potential (good head on his shoulders), and allows the Packers some flexibility in terms of keeping the most talented guys around.

Am I alone in thinking players like Blackmon (not to forget someone like Troy Brown) are predecessors of a new generation of players that will find a home in the constant flux of the NFL?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like sound thinking.
In the "old days" almost all players played both ways. Maybe it will get back to that. (With what they get paid today, they SHOULD play all downs!)

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will is a great athlete, i'm glad he's on the pack. last i read from TC was that blackmon was converted CB to WR.

I'm kinda hoping will gets healthy and plays soon. I'd like to see if he could return punts for the Packers.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well it sounds good and it would be nice for us if it works out with him playing both rolls did'nt some other team have a player that played on the o-line and on the d-line because of an injury sorry dont recall what position though :(

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
I am not so sure. Most athletes these days don't want to possibly get injured playinng both ways, at least the higher picks. I could see a lot of not so big names players that have expectations to be a second day pick do this to ttry to increase their value but I don't see any real top playes doing this

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this would be a precursor to a large scale movement to dual roles.
This has gone on for years on a limited basis.
Recent players that come to mind are Kordell "slash" Stewart, QB, wide receiver and any other position they asked him to play.
Randle-El QB, wide receiver, kick returner.
You could make a large list of players that played (started) at another position and also served as a teams place kicker or punter.

As Cheesey stated it wasn't unusual in the past for players to be starters on both offense and defense.

I like the idea because it saves a roster spot but the players who can play both ways or fill dual roles are few and far between or we certainly would have seen more of it over the years.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he could play WR for the Packers. Hopefully we won't need to use a 5 WR set, whichmeans that you need to move the ball quickly to make up a defecit. But I like Blackmon's hands, and his speed. PLus his size is pretty good for being a WR too. When they made this pick, I really liked it, b/c I thought Blackmon could help out the Packers in a vareity of ways.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good concept, DP.

dunno if it will work out, I am confident he will do some good things in at least ONE of those roles.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
good concept, DP.

dunno if it will work out, I am confident he will do some good things in at least ONE of those roles.

You must get your confidence from a ******* Jack box. What makes you so confident? His outstanding pre-season?

Wasn't Hawkins going to be great as well?

Blackmon is 1 giant question mark? We shall see.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when did I say hawkins was great?

What makes me so confident? his versatility and reports i read about his college career.

sorry coach

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, he hasn't practiced much if at all so he doesn't really know any of those roles.

Maybe down the road he could help in one or more roles.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
tromadz said:
good concept, DP.

You must get your confidence from a ******* Jack box. What makes you so confident? His outstanding pre-season?

Wasn't Hawkins going to be great as well?

Blackmon is 1 giant question mark? We shall see.

I agree. He's a huge ?

No doubt he has talent. I had him rated as one of the better athletes in the Draft but he's kind of a tweener in that he doesn't have a natural position. They were talking about him on the radio and Jonnie Gray had some fairly nice things to say about his technique as a DB.

I hope he can return some punts. If so that would help us a lot.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
While factoring in some positions being more desirable based on the system the coaching staff has in place, there is the eventual fact that only so many players can be kept on a 53 man roster.

Yeah, I think it's 53. Don't quote me on that though.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man Chicken George, you must be old. I'll never claim to an historian, but when did they play both ways, except for great athletes like Thorpe? This is a real question, so don't take it as sarcasm.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YERCELL said:
Man Chicken George, you must be old. I'll never claim to an historian, but when did they play both ways, except for great athletes like Thorpe? This is a real question, so don't take it as sarcasm.

Ok....first off......WHY are you calling me "Chicken George??" I pm'ed you for an answer, which you DID pick up, and you didn't answer me.
I don't appreciate someone coming on here and calling me names, when i don't even know you.
How about an answer???

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many teams are going to the the more athletic and versitle players that could add to ST's play among other ways to contribute. This is especially true when it get's down to the final roster cuts. A guy that can contribute to a postition and ST's will be the guy kept over a back up or postional player that can't.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a chill pill. I have other things to do other than sit on here all day and respond to your every whim. And when did I call you Chicken George? I made no mention of who I was refering to as CG.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me no want no's fight mever. And yes, he is a cheesy soul, and thank God for it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YERCELL said:

I MADE THE POST ABOUT BACK IN THE OLD DAYS WHEN PLAYERS PLAYED BOTH WAYS.
You made it obvious you were talking to me, calling ME that name.
What did i ever do to you to get called a name like that? I don't think you would appreciate it if someone you didn't know did that to you.

You tell ME to take a "chill pill?" Maybe you should have answered my PM and explain yourself. THAT i would have respected.
To deny you meant it towards me is lame, to say the least.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont worry about him cheesey.... hes a miami fan... so hes either severly retarded or coked out of his head. or both.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or maybe cheesy can't read. I didn't reply because I had to go to class. And apparently you don't know who Chicken George is. He's on a little show called Big Brother. Look it up. Maybe you won't be so disagreeable about it. It's not meant as an insult. But what do I know? I'm a coked out retard.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YERCELL said:
Or maybe cheesy can't read. I didn't reply because I had to go to class. And apparently you don't know who Chicken George is. He's on a little show called Big Brother. Look it up. Maybe you won't be so disagreeable about it. It's not meant as an insult. But what do I know? I'm a coked out retard.

All you would have had to do is explain yourself. That was ALL i asked. How long would it have taken you to type that to me when i PM'd you and asked? I never watched that show you mentioned, and all i wanted was an explanation. I did NOT know if it was in fun, or an insult.
You could have taken the 30 seconds to write me. Then i wouldn't have been upset.
Was that asking too much? I noticed you were on here several times yesterday, writting posts. You had the time to write and tell me this, but didn't. Why, i don't know. It could have been cleared up in a few seconds, had you wanted to make it clear.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, cheesey getting into it with someone.

whats the world coming to.

cheesey, ur a jerk! harumph harumph harumph!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry guys but this personal crap between two posters is really getting old. It's happening more and more. Fans like me come to a site to learn about our team, not about animosity between two strangers. In the final analysis, it's up to the moderators to put an end to it since the posters can't seem to.

Members online

Latest posts